NHL'94 Forums

NHL Hockey '95 on '94

wboy

Attached is zip file containing a IPS patch.

Using an IPS patcher (I recommend you use StealthPatch 1.4), simply apply the patch over a clean NHL94 rom (GoodGen verified name "NHL Hockey 94 (UE) [!].bin") to transfer the NHL95 roster on to the NHL94 ROM/game engine.

What exactly gets updated?

Team Attributes, Rosters & Lines

So what doesn't change?

Player photos - note, this means that even if a player existed in 95 and 94, there is no guarantee the face shown against their name will be correct!

This ROM edit has been created within the upcoming NOSE (NHL Old Skool Editor), using a newly developed copy & paste feature which easily allows selected items to be copied between the same/other roms.

I'll try to make a post very soon showing off more recent screen and more definate information regarding its soon to be public release date.

Now I know a '95 roster might not be the most exciting thing, but it was a quick and easy example to make as both roms have the same teams, and all I was doing is transferring rosters etc., which is a no-brainer. I'll leave the "updated roster" roms to everyone else.

Have fun,

wboy.

NHL95_4.zip

I think that is great to be able to transfer roster from rom to rom so easy. One of the best features of NHL'92 is that it plays the best over the internet even with high ping rates.

I always wanted to NHL'92-anize NHL'93. After years of hacking EA football roms, I hesitated at taking on more work by hacking NHL roms, this will make life much easier. Thank you for putting your time into such a valuable too for us all.

Jeff

yo wboy

isnt the 95-98 games on a different grading scale then are 91-94 ?

players stats i mean, id like the ability to drag and drop players from the 95-98

roms, onto 93.... but theres gonna have to be a conversion somewhere...

get what im saying?

Off the top of my head...

91 & 92 use a hex scale of 0 to F for most attributes except handed

93 also uses a hex scale of 0 to F for most attributes, but some of the goalie bytes have been re-ordered a little compared to 91/92, though 94 onwards has seemingly kept this format.

94 - 98 use a hex scale of 0 to 6 for most columns. While I need to confirm it more, I think most of the attribute columns are pretty much the same in all these games. Though the in game value of (e.g.) hex 5 in one version compared to another may be sightly different, I'm not taking that into consideration at the moment.

Though on that note, I have implemented a basic conversion table when pasting between different roms.

At the moment they are as follows:

Source: 91/92/93

Destination: 94/95/96/97/98

Hex Conversion:

0 = 0

1 = 1

2 = 1

3 = 1

4 = 2

5 = 2

6 = 3

7 = 3

8 = 3

9 = 4

A = 4

B = 5

C = 5

D = 5

E = 6

F = 6

Source: 94/95/96/97/98

Destination: 91/92/93

Hex Conversion:

0 = 0

1 = 3

2 = 5

3 = 8

4 = A

5 = D

6 = F

You have to be careful in some cases. For instance in 94 right handed players are even numbers and in 95 right handers are odd numbered. (Or the other way around i forget) Also in 96 the aggressiveness rating applies to fighting as well, not sure how though.

You have to be careful in some cases.  For instance in 94 right handed players are even numbers and in 95 right handers are odd numbered.  (Or the other way around i forget)  Also in 96 the aggressiveness rating applies to fighting as well, not sure how though.

Hmmmm.. well I haven't checked things to those details. I hope for the sake of simplicity you are wrong :lol:

Though even if you are right (not doubting you either :D ) little changes like that shouldnt be to hard. I guess a lot more will be learned after its release so I refine thing more as more people edit and learn more about the difference between game years.

• 4 years later...