NHL'94 Forums

Fall 2010 teams assigned.

halifax

This is how it always has been and always will be. It is very fair

>Rookies playing with crap teams

>Veteran masters playing with top-teams

>everything else is random.

>Edmonton 1st choiced by only 1 player

>player ends up with his 9th choice, a team he doesn't give a flying f**k about cause you can't possibly support more than 2 or 3 teams

>another player who didn't have Edmonton in his top-5 gets them

Sure is fair lol.

Also, the fact that it's always been like this doesn't mean it doesn't suck. It's a flawed system on so many levels I can't believe no one ever brought these issues up.

meh, whatever, I'll stick with Tampa, I guess it's better than not playing at all.

Edited by Retrieving

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

>player ends up with his 9th choice, a team he doesn't give a flying f**k about cause you can't possibly support more than 2 or 3 teams

Sure is fair lol.

Also, the fact that it's always been like this doesn't mean it doesn't suck. It's a flawed system on so many levels I can't believe no one ever brought these issues up.

meh, whatever, I'll stick with Tampa, I guess it's better than not playing at all.

I can understand the frustration because the way we draw teams was not explained to you when you signed up. You may have chosen your preference list differently, or perhaps decided to not sign up at all. This is my fault. I know I've explained the team selection process many times over the years in forums and pms to people but I'll look into seeing if chaos can put it on the league site.

How teams are determined

I assigned numbers to every player on the list.

Then I use a random number generator to scramble that list into a new order.

Whatever number is at the top gets first pick of teams.

I then use their preference list to give them their first choice(lets say the first guy got chicago).

Then I go to the next guy. I look at his list. He also had chicago selected first...but since they are taken...He gets his second choice, which is detroit.

I repeat this process until I've gone through everyone.

The guys near the bottom of the list end up getting a choice that usually falls in the 6th to 10th preference choices.

Over the years we changed the formats, playoff systems etc., but the league has never used an edited game of any kind. Which is what makes it classic. It's the original game we grew up playing and it will remain that way for this league and future classic leagues.

People have brought these issues up of fairness right from day one. (I still get GENS players telling me we should ban Chicago). Other leagues have formed that allow people to draft players from the game to new teams to make it fair...or put every player at the same rating for an equal league. Those leagues may be more of your liking. You also have the option to start your own league with your own rules, edited rom or whatever you like. In fact, we encourage it!

We usually get a turn over rate of about 33% of players per league. Thanks for deciding to stick it out this season and not be part of the one third that bails.

Sure is fair lol.

might just be me, but i'm not sure you've been around long enough to criticize. i'm not trying to be an ass, because trust me, you'd know (ask iceguy/redwingdevil). just making the observation and thinking you need to take some time to play a league or two before you start making comments like that.

might just be me, but i'm not sure you've been around long enough to criticize. i'm not trying to be an ass, because trust me, you'd know (ask iceguy/redwingdevil). just making the observation and thinking you need to take some time to play a league or two before you start making comments like that.

Don't need to play no league to recognize potential flaws in the system, all you need is some common sense.

I'm also used to organize tournaments and events for other games such as SWOS, Winning Eleven and FIFA so this stuff immediately sticks out to my trained eye as I've had my fair share of criticisms on this kinda issues over the years as well.

That being said, I ain't gonna quit because of the team, I promised I would've played and I will play all of my matches. I hate when people bail out on me during my tournaments so I would never do that.

Also, thanks halifax for the explaination.

Edited by Retrieving

Western Conference

Norris Division

Chicago - rc69fab

Detroit - beavers33

Winnipeg - kupuck19

Dallas - angryjay93

Toronto - nationals1

St.Louis - kaykills

Smythe Division

Calgary - carse

Edmonton - flasox24

Los Angeles - dexpsu83

Vancouver - Hokkeefan

San Jose - RedWingDevil

Anaheim - dhaos

if any of these guys are ready for 1 hm and 1 away game,LETS GO!!

OR

SNES

Eastern Conference

Patrick Division

NY Rangers - xot82

Washington - hokkeefan

Buffalo - prodigyof94

New Jersey -caseyais

Adams Division

Montreal - shaftman

Boston - pondhcky1

Quebec - grayto

Hartford - Volly

Edited by hokkeefan

i don't really see a flaw in the system. you get the highest team available on the list that YOU created. if you want to blame something, blame the fact that we have a lot of players and the only fair way to go about draft order is a random draw. you could also blame yourself for choosing tampa bay as one of your top 10 teams.

i don't really see a flaw in the system. you get the highest team available on the list that YOU created. if you want to blame something, blame the fact that we have a lot of players and the only fair way to go about draft order is a random draw. you could also blame yourself for choosing tampa bay as one of your top 10 teams.

This is spot on. Nicely put.

I think this is going to be an exciting season!!

i don't really see a flaw in the system. (...) the only fair way to go about draft order is a random draw.

If you don't see how having teams ranging from 50~ Overall to 80~ Ovr in the same tournament isn't fair then I dunno what to tell ya, you must be in denial...or something.

This disparity alone is what is actually forcing you to put in place some sort of seeding mechanism/random assignment system to give people the illusion that things "are fair" when in fact they're about as fair as Puerto Rico playing Jordan, Magic, Stockton, Barkley and Larry Bird back in "92.

Hadn't the seeding/random assignment system been in place I would've probably ended up with Edmonton, seeing as no one else picked it as his 1st choice anyway.

I got over it though so w/e.

Less talking pointless bickering, more NHL94.

Edited by Retrieving

If you don't see how having teams ranging from 50~ Overall to 80~ Ovr in the same tournament isn't fair then I dunno what to tell ya, you must be in denial...or something.

This disparity alone is what is actually forcing you to put in place some sort of seeding mechanism/random assignment system to give people the illusion that things "are fair" when in fact they're about as fair as Puerto Rico playing Jordan, Magic, Stockton, Barkley and Larry Bird back in "92.

Hadn't the seeding/random assignment system been in place I would've probably ended up with Edmonton, seeing as no one else picked it as his 1st choice anyway.

all i was saying was that the process is fair. yeah, it sucks that you have to use TB against CHI, but the idea that everyone has an equal chance to get the teams they want is what's fair.

Teams are listed below. Chaos will have the schedule set up sometime this week. In the mean time, you can be assured to play one home game and one away game against your division and conference.

Good luck, have fun!

IM WAITING FOR A CHALLENGE!!! SNES OR GENS !!!

Don't need to play no league to recognize potential flaws in the system, all you need is some common sense.

What flaws? So, if you are a new guy, we are supposed to give you one of the best teams? how is that fair?

You pick a list of 10 teams. There are at least 10 decent teams in the game. Pick teams you are good with and then fill the rest with teams that are good in the game. I believe this system works better than first come, first serve or give the new guys the best teams. The past 2 seasons played have had champions that were new coaches, using this same system.

I thank you for taking the team you were selected with and planning on playing through the season, but don't blame the system if you were the one who picked the sub-par team, even with the assumption that it was your 9th pick and "it would never get to the point where I would get this team".

BTW, a newbie to GENS (rc69fab) has Chicago. How does that support your argument?

What flaws? So, if you are a new guy, we are supposed to give you one of the best teams? how is that fair?

You pick a list of 10 teams. There are at least 10 decent teams in the game. Pick teams you are good with and then fill the rest with teams that are good in the game. I believe this system works better than first come, first serve or give the new guys the best teams. The past 2 seasons played have had champions that were new coaches, using this same system.

I thank you for taking the team you were selected with and planning on playing through the season, but don't blame the system if you were the one who picked the sub-par team, even with the assumption that it was your 9th pick and "it would never get to the point where I would get this team".

BTW, a newbie to GENS (rc69fab) has Chicago. How does that support your argument?

trading teams was a option in previous times but it gets a little crazy around here to allow that option hehe

the system is fair in that it's random (if your name is pulled early, you get a team you wanted, if not, you probably don't)

but it could be better and maybe working retrieving's suggestion could make more people happier.

what about something like this...

- randomly generate the order of the picks as usual

- go through the list of guys from top to bottom, only considering their 1st pick. if they're the first one to pick that a team, then give them that team and take them out of the list.

- then move on to everyone's second pick. start at the top, and the first guy to pick a team gets that team.

- move on to 3rd pick.. etc

why this is nice:

you can pick teams spread out through the league -- start with a couple great teams, then a few mediocre teams, then pick your fav 2 expansion teams if it comes to that.

in the old method, basically all you can do is pick your 10 best teams and hope you get one of them.

here's an example of how it would work out (but using signup time instead of random order because I don't want to randomize the list for an example!)

post-253-061118500 1284450257_thumb.png

14 guys got their first pick (!!) (out of 30)

5 more guys got a top-5 pick.

that's almost 2/3rds.

I'd be very surprised if half of the guys got one of their top 5 in the current system...

the system is fair in that it's random (if your name is pulled early, you get a team you wanted, if not, you probably don't)

but it could be better and maybe working retrieving's suggestion could make more people happier.

what about something like this...

- randomly generate the order of the picks as usual

- go through the list of guys from top to bottom, only considering their 1st pick. if they're the first one to pick that a team, then give them that team and take them out of the list.

- then move on to everyone's second pick. start at the top, and the first guy to pick a team gets that team.

- move on to 3rd pick.. etc

why this is nice:

you can pick teams spread out through the league -- start with a couple great teams, then a few mediocre teams, then pick your fav 2 expansion teams if it comes to that.

in the old method, basically all you can do is pick your 10 best teams and hope you get one of them.

here's an example of how it would work out (but using signup time instead of random order because I don't want to randomize the list for an example!)

post-253-061118500 1284450257_thumb.png

14 guys got their first pick (!!) (out of 30)

5 more guys got a top-5 pick.

that's almost 2/3rds.

I'd be very surprised if half of the guys got one of their top 5 in the current system...

yea, should work fine as long as the team selections are hidden on the waiting list. or else it might be preferable to sign up right before the registration will close.

Also, I'm worried that you guys have Retrieving so worked up, he's going to take his frustrations out on those of us in his division and tear us new assholes.

I would be more worried about VOC, Donny and Zalex than whoever this Retrieving guy is considering he hasn't played a single classic game before according to the all time stats.

Hey Smoz, is that the picture for the Gens team selection? Some guy named crosby87 actually had the Sharks at 5th and it's circled on.

Hey Smoz, is that the picture for the Gens team selection? Some guy named crosby87 actually had the Sharks at 5th and it's circled on.

not sure what you mean

what's wrong with that?

it was just an example of how the team selection could work

not sure what you mean

what's wrong with that?

it was just an example of how the team selection could work

Nothing wrong with it. Just checking that most of us looked like we had teams in common when it comes to the top 5 teams of our preference.

You must've skipped this

Besides, you're acting as if assigning teams randomly erases the gap in stats between them, I mean...er.

Is the random assignment fair? Yeah it is, it's "random" after all.

Is having teams ranging from 50~ to 80~ Ovr in the same competition fair though? Nope, in fact it's dumb.

Is the "10-picks" system pointless? Yep, seeing as with this many people the randomness almost completely overrides its effectiveness.

Would you still need to assign teams randomly, potentially pissing off those who end up with either a team they don't give a damn about or a weak team (or both), had the teams been equal to begin with (either the same template all across the board with re-named rosters/names/kits or a few selected templates with similar ratings to retain some degree of variety)? Nope, you would not and you'd finally achieve fairness (also, it'd still be "Classic" seeing as the stats of those team templates wouldn't change).

That being said:

Also, no hard feelings, just trying to get my point across, this is your league so you got the right to do whatever you want with it.