NHL'94 Forums

Fall 2010 teams assigned.

halifax

Also, no hard feelings, just trying to get my point across, this is your league so you got the right to do whatever you want with it.

seriously, are you finished yet? you should just leave it at that before something happens

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the system is fair in that it's random (if your name is pulled early, you get a team you wanted, if not, you probably don't)

but it could be better and maybe working retrieving's suggestion could make more people happier.

what about something like this...

- randomly generate the order of the picks as usual

- go through the list of guys from top to bottom, only considering their 1st pick. if they're the first one to pick that a team, then give them that team and take them out of the list.

- then move on to everyone's second pick. start at the top, and the first guy to pick a team gets that team.

- move on to 3rd pick.. etc

why this is nice:

you can pick teams spread out through the league -- start with a couple great teams, then a few mediocre teams, then pick your fav 2 expansion teams if it comes to that.

in the old method, basically all you can do is pick your 10 best teams and hope you get one of them.

here's an example of how it would work out (but using signup time instead of random order because I don't want to randomize the list for an example!)

14 guys got their first pick (!!) (out of 30)

5 more guys got a top-5 pick.

that's almost 2/3rds.

I'd be very surprised if half of the guys got one of their top 5 in the current system...

Very good idea.

Edited by Retrieving

Like? You're gonna ban me cause I'm criticizing (constructively) some of the alleged flaws of the league format? lol, such hostility...

Lol Retrieving, I don't know these guys since I'm pretty new myself, but this might be one of those moments where you should just stop replying :)

the system is fair in that it's random (if your name is pulled early, you get a team you wanted, if not, you probably don't)

but it could be better and maybe working retrieving's suggestion could make more people happier.

what about something like this...

- randomly generate the order of the picks as usual

- go through the list of guys from top to bottom, only considering their 1st pick. if they're the first one to pick that a team, then give them that team and take them out of the list.

- then move on to everyone's second pick. start at the top, and the first guy to pick a team gets that team.

- move on to 3rd pick.. etc

why this is nice:

you can pick teams spread out through the league -- start with a couple great teams, then a few mediocre teams, then pick your fav 2 expansion teams if it comes to that.

in the old method, basically all you can do is pick your 10 best teams and hope you get one of them.

here's an example of how it would work out (but using signup time instead of random order because I don't want to randomize the list for an example!)

post-253-061118500 1284450257_thumb.png

14 guys got their first pick (!!) (out of 30)

5 more guys got a top-5 pick.

that's almost 2/3rds.

I'd be very surprised if half of the guys got one of their top 5 in the current system...

I don't mind the way the teams are assigned now. If you end up with one of your lower choices, you should look at it as a challenge to make the most out of the hand you're dealt.

That being said, this idea makes a lot of sense and I would be in support of using it for next time.

I SEE A WHINING ****

Not that I want to be vain or anything, but is the site going to be updated to show the winners of the Spring 2010 Season :)

Website updated. Sorry, I was waiting for SNES-A to finish their finals, but doesn't look like it's happening for a while.

As far as the team selections, this is the first time (at least since I have been here) where we had this many teams in one single league. With this many teams, the method of team selections should probably be adjusted, although there will still be coaches with sub-par teams. Let's see how the season goes, and if we decide to do the one league option in the future, it might be a good idea to think about changing the way team selection is done.

As far as schedule, I'm shooting for Thursday to have it up.

Website updated. Sorry, I was waiting for SNES-A to finish their finals, but doesn't look like it's happening for a while.

As far as the team selections, this is the first time (at least since I have been here) where we had this many teams in one single league. With this many teams, the method of team selections should probably be adjusted, although there will still be coaches with sub-par teams. Let's see how the season goes, and if we decide to do the one league option in the future, it might be a good idea to think about changing the way team selection is done.

Thanks for your hard work bud in making logging scores possible for the community.

Good job Chaos! I hope all of these coaches respect how much time and effort you put in for the love of the site and they show it by playing all their games.

It's been awhile, and I don't have the best setup right now, but if you need a SNES player, let me know. You'll have to walk me through setting up online play again but I'd be in if you need me, barring tech probz.

I lied about Thursday. Schedule will be done tomorrow, almost finished.

Statto, we do have an opening for Vancouver in SNES if you are interested. You just need to download hamachi and set it up. I believe it is on the nhl94online page under downloads. If you need help, you can PM me or just contact one of the SNES guys on AIM.

I lied about Thursday. Schedule will be done tomorrow, almost finished.

Statto, we do have an opening for Vancouver in SNES if you are interested. You just need to download hamachi and set it up. I believe it is on the nhl94online page under downloads. If you need help, you can PM me or just contact one of the SNES guys on AIM.

Nobody wanted Vancouver? Seriously? Just put Trevor Linden on center, sub Lumme for Diduck and you're ready. Of course, choosing Lumme or Diduck is up to your criteria. I'm just a little surprised they don't have as much love in SNES as they get in the Genesis version.

Edited by RedWingDevil

Nobody wanted Vancouver? Seriously? Just put Trevor Linden on center, sub Lumme for Diduck and you're ready. Of course, choosing Lumme or Diduck is up to your criteria. I'm just a little surprised they don't have as much love in SNES as they get in the Genesis version.

They were given to houli, but I was unaware at that point that houli had told chaos he wasn't gonna play snes this season, so they became vacant after the fact....just a small mix up.

It's been awhile, and I don't have the best setup right now, but if you need a SNES player, let me know. You'll have to walk me through setting up online play again but I'd be in if you need me, barring tech probz.

Statto....welcome back bud!

Not that simple, I have to get the right version of ZSNES, compile it on Linux, and get hamachi working again. Slot me in for Vancouver but I may drop out if I can't get things working.

Not that simple, I have to get the right version of ZSNES, compile it on Linux, and get hamachi working again. Slot me in for Vancouver but I may drop out if I can't get things working.

Does hamachi work on linux?

ZSNES v. 1.42 is here for linux - http://www.zsnes.com/index.php?page=files

I got it working but in dosbox. So I'm emulating the emulator. It's jumpy as all hell, but I'm also running a background process; No idea if this will work with hamachi

Hey Statto,

This might help you -> http://board.zsnes.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13600

Talks about running ZSNES 1.42n on linux. Seems an older version of glibc is required to bypass an error.

Yeah but it's an ancient version and I can't get the durn thing to work right. Gonna pull out the old Windows box... basically, please gimme Vancouver, but I can't promise tomorrow I'll still be in the league.

Yeah but it's an ancient version and I can't get the durn thing to work right. Gonna pull out the old Windows box... basically, please gimme Vancouver, but I can't promise tomorrow I'll still be in the league.

Oh, version 1.42 is what everyone uses. The newer versions don't support Netplay.

When you get it working, you can have Vancouver.