NHL'94 Forums

Why did they change the gameplay??

Bighab

When NHL96 first came out I was pumped. I was quickly disapointed after playing it. The gameplay was drastically changed. You could no longer control the goalie very well like in 94 or 95. the skating was off too. I quickly got rid of my 96. I still kept my NHL98 though. Was anyone else disapointed with the 96-98 series?

• 3 months later...

I was extremely disappointed with the 96-98 series. Not only was it the same game each time, but it lost almost everything that the 91-95 games had: FUN FACTOR. It was the transition from the old school 91-95 games to the ones being released now.

-Evan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hell yeah, the fighting was SO AWESOME! No other hockey game even comes close! It was just so darn cool! Especially when you pulled your opponents jersey up and slammed him to the ice and keeps pounding him! Hey, it's a game! It's awesome!

But I gotta agree that the gameplay was very different, and not good different. As you say, the goalie control... I think it's fun as hell to control the goalie both in all previous games, but that just ain't "possible" in the newer games. I don't think I've ever made a save in 99-06 as a goalie... And the goal scoring had lost it's spirit too.. No up close goals. If I recall correctly it was either blue line shots (low corner, same side you are at), one-timers or rebounds that would end in goals.

I'm working on bringing some of that fun back Evan with 98 anyways. I am slowing it down. Less puck control and speed on goalies, less def awareness and less stamina to create a more 93-94 pace and feel. More goalmouth scrambles and more goal scoring like the new nhl etc... Having a season mode is just awesome. I so wish 93 and 94 had it.

• 1 year later...

I certainly was not disappointed with NHL96. I certainly have been disappointed by all the other NHL games other than 95 & 96.

NHL96 has been commonly pointed as one of the worst of Ea's NHL series games. This is certainly not the case, its just that you can't play it :)

At first NHL96, especially after NHL95, did seem like it sucked. You really couldn't control the players the way how you could in NHL95. BUT, it takes a bit time to master the control of the players in NHL96. But once you do master it, this game is almost comparable to NHL95 in its playability. It also has easily more ways to score than NHL95 + has the goalie controls. In addition to that NHL96 does have the best intro and music out of all the other NHL games ;)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
With all due respect, NHL'96, quite frankly was a genuine piece of garbage.

I am going to agree to disagree here. I am quite fond of 96 and 97. I checked out in 98. On to PSX version. Anyway, I just got done with a game of 96 and enjoyed it. Some 94 fans (which I am) say that its too fast, grafix suck.....etc. I see it as a definite upgrade from 95 which was an aberration on EA's part. They did a great job recovering from that one. The deke move still works, goalie control, one timers are still good. It's all there. Plus, there are some good animations on the "extra" side. I just cannot see it as garbage when they programmed it and it became the annual "updated roster" version of the game. They must have done something right. Right?

post-646-1173668369_thumb.jpg

This thread just goes to show everyone that all the bickering about all the different versions, whether it be by year, console, whatever, it's all a matter of opinion. And, as we all know:

Opinions are like assholes.

Everybody has one, and they all stink.

(some more than others)

post-646-1173668714_thumb.jpg

• 7 months later...
BIG LETDOWN AFTER 95 and 94

Even 95, at the end of the day, was kind of a letdown. Don't get me wrong, it's a decent game, and at the time, I was definitely caught up in the new features, like season mode and the fact that you could trade players, but once their novelty had kind of faded, there was no denying that the game just wasn't as satisfying as 94.

I hope Mack does indeed figure out a way to create a ROM that combines the gameplay and graphics of '94 with the added features of the later versions.