NHL'94 Forums

Stats defined

Stefan

great question. one I thought of lately is if stick and glove just represent low and high save likelihoods, respectively. I just don't know. let's define them all. aggressiveness = reputation (likelihood of getting called for a penalty).

• 3 weeks later...

great question. one I thought of lately is if stick and glove just represent low and high save likelihoods, respectively. I just don't know. let's define them all. aggressiveness = reputation (likelihood of getting called for a penalty).

I'm not entirely sure, but I've theorized about what some of these attributes mean before. I believe players with a high offense awareness rating are more likely to hang around the net while players with a high defense awareness rating play a tighter coverage (centers cover centers, LWs cover RWs and vice-versa).

In the case of goalies, I believe defensive awareness refers to the goalie's read-and-react positioning (being prepared for passes and one-timers). I think offensive awareness improves their passing ability. While editing roms, I've noticed goalies whom I assign a higher offense awareness rating (Brodeur, Turco, Barrasso, Hextall) had their up-ice passes fly faster down the ice. It could just be a coincidence, but I think offense awareness affects the goalie's passing ability.

As for stick left/right and glove left/right, I believe both hands play into how good the goalie is with his stick or glove. Let's say your goalie has a left glove. Let' say glove left means low on the glove side (since his glove is on the left hand). Let's say glove right means high on the glove side. I wouldn't be surprised if both left and right are combined to average out your overall glove ability.

For example, let's say a goalie has 99 glove left and 80 glove right in-game. The average would be 89.5; therefore, I think this means the goalie's glove rating in any direction (high or low) is 89.5 for that game.

If it does not average out, then maybe both hands just mean a particular part of the net (rating for glove high and rating for glove low). If this is the case, then I wonder which hand is high (actual glove hand or opposite glove hand).

As for the likelihood of getting penalized, I always thought that was roughness. I think aggressiveness determines how persistent you are in chasing the puck. I think players with a low aggressiveness will skate around in circles waiting to pick off passes, while players with very high aggressiveness are more likely to battle with another player in the corner for the puck (hook them, trip them, check them). If you have a high aggressiveness and a low roughness, I think you can get away with more checks and more trips and hooks.

I believe if you have a low aggressiveness and an exremely high roughness, you might get penalized just for looking at Doug Gilmour the wrong way.

I feel confident in my definitions for offense and defense awareness for skaters; however, it would be nice to have confirmation on the definitions of the other attributes.

Edited by TruePensFan1981

What about guys that are in the off-wing and natural side with their sticks? Skaters like Sandstrom, Bourque and Larmer are very effective when they shoot from the off-wing on the right side and I think other men on their natural side like Roberts, Thomas and Klima do a better job with dekeing when they go up up front. Does this also affect their accuracy with one-timers if they're in either wing or center?

What about guys that are in the off-wing and natural side with their sticks? Skaters like Sandstrom, Bourque and Larmer are very effective when they shoot from the off-wing on the right side and I think other men on their natural side like Roberts, Thomas and Klima do a better job with dekeing when they go up up front. Does this also affect their accuracy with one-timers if they're in either wing or center?

Shot accuracy is shot accuracy, regardless of whether you're shooting a backhand or forehand and from the wing or from the middle. For example, look at the backhand one-timers: they are shot as hard as forehand one-timers in this game. If you shoot a 100 mph forehand one-timer with Al Iafrate, you will also shoot a 100 mph back hand one-timer with him.

• 1 month later...

I believe it is. I call it reputation.

• 8 months later...

I'm interested in exploring some of these other things further. I doubt the bits about offensive awarenesses correlating with passing skill, but I am not at all sure. the netminder, even?! hmm. I'd believe that his extra skills may be of value, but I doubt the stuff about his blocking skill ratings averaging. I assumed the glove and stick skills covered quadrants of the reachable space and had distinct ratings, but not much about the ratings should be taken at face value, so I don't feel positive about much of what I suppose. are the awarenesses just the drive to hustle toward and hang around the two creases?