NHL'94 Forums

From NHL 94 to NHL 95

jeroen

I never got into this NHL 95 game.

Somehow it feels like a totaly different Icehockey game.

Why did they changed it so drastic.

It looks different, it sound differrent and it feels different.

The thing I hate the most in NHL 95 is the way those players skate.

It doesn't feel natural at all :)

Do you people like it?

Why did they restyled the game like that?

I never got into this NHL 95 game.

Somehow it feels like a totaly different Icehockey game.

Why did they changed it so drastic.

It looks different, it sound differrent and it feels different.

The thing I hate the most in NHL 95 is the way those players skate.

It doesn't feel natural at all :)

Do you people like it?

Why did they restyled the game like that?

Hmm, 95 was alright. I dont play it as much to be honest. 96 was alright too. For some reason though i find it much easier to score on 94 than on 95 or 96. I guess its b/c ive played 94 since..94. haha. Even on my emulator i find it easy to get goals. The first day i got 94 as a ROM, i scored 2 goals within a minute or so. I guess i just need to break myself in on the other games. I like on the newer ones that you can set the difficulty level, and the graphics are a little bit more up to par, but nothing..will beat NHL 94'.

95 sometimes gets more recognition simply because on the SNES you could create teams and other stuff people take for granted on a new hockey game. I for one hate NHL 95 because it is where I think the EA hockey games and others to follow started to go downhill. You may not find very many people here who like NHL 95.

I remember when 95 came out I though it was a lot different. But played it anyways and eventually liked it better because that is what I got used to. Still play 95 to this day, It is super easy to score but it is still a lot of fun when playing against another person.

Guest nhl92fan

I cant stand NHL 95. The graphics suck, and the gameplay is awful.

I was so excited when I bought this game because it was the 1st to have trades and season mode. Unfortunately, I didnt realize they fucked up just about everything else.

A dream come true this website is, along with the hacking/trading devices that we can now utilize with NHL 92 to NHL 94. NHLPA 93 is still my favorite, and the ability to make trades, etc on it is awesome.

It's like the NHL 94 sequels that SHOULD have been, but never were.

A dream come true this website is, along with the hacking/trading devices that we can now utilize with NHL 92 to NHL 94. NHLPA 93 is still my favorite, and the ability to make trades, etc on it is awesome.

It's like the NHL 94 sequels that SHOULD have been, but never were.

Wait a minute!!!

Is there a ROM out there that has this ability (trading players etc) ??

:)

Sound like a pretty cool deal.

Wait a minute!!!

Is there a ROM out there that has this ability (trading players etc) ??

:)

Sound like a pretty cool deal.

I think by "trading players" he means manually switching names & attributes with NOSE or otherwise.

NHL 94 on the snes was the first EA hockey game, I played when I later on got a Sega Genesis it came with NHL (Elitserien) 95. And I liked it a lot, still do. Sure, it's probably not realistic or anything. But season mode and a bunch of stats was just woohoo. I just recently played through a season of it, still enjoy it. Way too easy though. Even today I can find NHL 94 (snes) bit challanging every now and then.

I then went to NHL 96 (genesis), now that game I played A LOT, the fact that you could create players that wouldn't look like "RETARDS" like in 95 was awesome. That was one thing that really bothered me in 95. That when you created a player, his name would be CAPSED, and naturally he wouldn't get a picture either. But in 96 I could create a whole team without it looking weird at all. :)

Nowadays 96 just feels stale.. Everything feels so locked down. Limited ways of scoring and stuff... ;) What makes me don't like the genesis 94 version is the sounds, I don't like them a bit. I guess I got fed up with them while playing EA Hockey which used the same horrible sounds.

So my top three EA hockey games would probably be:

1. NHL 94 (Snes)

2. NHL 95 (Gen)

3. NHL 96 (Gen)

Ah ok....yeah NOSE really is a great tool.

I am very happy that guy with the angel avatar made it.

It would be very cool if there was an option that you could play a whole seasen and trade players during the season.

Just for the record NHL95 (Gen) does have in-game Trade Player support. The changes are saved on the cartidges battery backup.

As for the angel avatar... lol.... I can see how you came to/visualised that thought... but is actually the 1up sprite from the old arcade game Wonder Boy (MAME rom "wboy") placed over one of the ice blocks... :)

post-11-1145106429_thumb.jpg

s**t...Wonderboy...how could I miss that one!!!

I was a fanatic Wonderboy in monsterland fan in the Arcades.

(Btw...what a weird game to see in the arcades...its more of a console game)

I have this game on my Sega too.

That game kinda looks like adventure island on nes.

Ea had the perfect formula with 94, all they had to do was impliment a reaular season with stat tracking and mabye player trades.

Wonder Boy on Sega systems (including arcade) = Adventure Island on Nintendo systems

It's true. Look it up.

I was a fanatic Wonderboy in monsterland fan in the Arcades.

(Btw...what a weird game to see in the arcades...its more of a console game)

You mentioned you used to own a few arcade games yourself in your introducion post. Was Wonderboy in Monsterland one of those?

I actually still own a sit down/table top Wonder Boy arcade cabinet. The board was been effectively retired though as the cabinet is now houses a PC and my cabinet is mame'd. Shame I never actually find the time to play the damn thing.

Somewhat of an interesting find I cam across lately, if you want an arcade perfect for you phone, check out... http://www.segamobile.com/gamespage.php?GameID=7&PageID=1

As for Adventure Island... Escape, the original developers published it on NES though Hudson Soft... and as Sega owns copyright ownership on the name "Wonder Boy", they obviously had to change a few subtle things about the game. Gameplay wise, the NES version is actually a better conversion of the arcade than the SMS version... except for the snakes that spit their tongue(?) at you.

As for all the followup Wonder Boy/Adventure Island games... they are completely different.... and basically the NES/Adventure Islands game are very average compared to the Sega titles IMHO.

I had Wonderboy in Monsterland only for 6 months :D

A friend and I used to own 14 coin operated machines.

Our family has always been into those slotmachines, but we like the old arcade.

I used to own 7 machines and I had them stocked the away in a garage. I hadGhost and Goblins, Kung Fu Master, Dragon Ninja, Double Dragon, Hattrick Hero (Taito), MR Do and 2 pinball machines: Star Trek and Terminator II.

My friend has these great 80's collection like: Pooyan, Starwars, Popeye, Space Invaders etc.

Due to the fact that I had to move...I sold them all....with pain in my soul.

Advice: NEVER sell those machines.

God I miss those old fashion Arcade halls!!

Sorry for being OT in my own topic ;)

Getting back on topic, it seems EA sports in general went downhill after 94 or 95. Both NBA & FIFA peaked at 94-95. I just bought FIFA 97 thinking "It'll be like FIFA 95 with create-a-player & indoor mode!" It is one of the worst games I have ever played on ANY system. I couldn't believe it was actually made by a legitimate developer, let alone EA.

Some of the changes EA made to their games after 94-95 are completely inexplicable. It's like they intentionally made the games worse. I think NHL may have suffered this curse the lease. At least their post 95 games are playable, unlike NBA, FIFA & Madden (until you get to ps2/xbox madden).

the reason EA totally fudged up the games is because imagine ur boss is paying u 60000 a year and u have to show them ur doing someting and u produce the same game with different menus ....its just not gonna fly they had to do something or they would be bored or fired and after 95 it was downhill.............nhl 95 was bad but at least it was playable .andfun vs people .....96 was a complete s**t box and EA should apoligize 10 years later ..........im still bitter i bought that game and thats why i will never purshase another ea game again ...........they had there run with games like road rash 2 classic and desert chopper smothing but just like grundge diied in early 90's so did ea ......tey almost single handedly killed 2d gamng for me but their 3d hockey games brought me back !! lol .......on a side note.i am still the greatest player in North america today my skillz and ability are far beyond those of regular humans and I have my phycho cousin to thank for that LOL

the reason EA totally fudged up the games is because imagine ur boss is paying u 60000 a year and u have to show them ur doing someting and u produce the same game with different menus ....its just not gonna fly they had to do something or they would be bored or fired and after 95 it was downhill.............nhl 95 was bad but at least it was playable .andfun vs people .....96 was a complete s**t box and EA should apoligize 10 years later ..........im still bitter i bought that game and thats why i will never purshase another ea game again ...........they had there run with games like road rash 2 classic and desert chopper smothing but just like grundge diied in early 90's so did ea ......tey almost single handedly killed 2d gamng for me but their 3d hockey games brought me back !! lol .......on a side note.i am still the greatest player in North america today my skillz and ability are far beyond those of regular humans and I have my phycho cousin to thank for that LOL

EA does have their moments. They have their hand in some good games, like Burnout & the Madden series (which I heard they screwed up this year), but some of their games are just brutal to play. MVP is alright, but NHL, FIFA & NBA Live are just awful now. Playing any of those games is as much fun as an abortion.