NHL'94 Forums

Spring 2011 Classic Registration Begins!

chaos

And on the 20th day, God created....

Spring '11 Classic League Registration!

Register HERE

For those of you who have registered on the NHL94Online site before, then registration will be easy. You just need to choose "Yes" for the question "Have you registered for a league before?", type in your site user name and password (NOTE: This is different than your forum password and user name, unless you made it the same), and choose the league you will be joining and your team preferences (a total of 10). Then hit submit and you will be placed on the waiting list. It's that easy.

For those of you who have not registered on the NHL94Online site before, then there is a little more info. to fill out. You need to choose "No" for the question "Have you registered for a league before?" and enter a user name and password (it's common to use the same user name as your forum name or AIM name). You will also be asked to fill out some more information about yourself (email, location, timezone, AIM Name, system preference). Then choose the league you will be joining and your team preferences (a total of 10). Then hit submit and you will be placed on the waiting list. You will then need to play a test game to make sure your connection is set up properly. This does not affect your place on the waiting list, but you cannot play in the league without playing the test game.

Registration deadline will be Monday, February 28th. At that point, we will assign teams to coaches and the schedules will be released.

There are 3 league levels we are hoping to run this season:

[GENS-A: This is for Advanced players. Genesis]

[GENS-B: This is for Beginner/Intermediate players. Genesis]

[sNES: All skills, SNES version]

You can sign up for multiple league levels (i.e. GENS-A and SNES).

All beginner players for Genesis will be put in GENS-B. You are required to be potty trained to play with the big boys. As always, halifax and I will have the last say in who goes where if we need to even out the 2 Genesis leagues.

The season will be 40 games. There is no specific order in which the games need to be played. There will be weekly checkpoints of 5 games, meaning you need to play at least 5 games a week. Don't freak out - since you have multiple games against each coach, it normally amounts to playing 2 coaches a week. Coaches like to get all the games against 1 oppenent done at the same time.

Good luck! If there are any questions or problems, feel free to PM me or hit me up on AIM and leave a msg. AIM: Rage93

LINKS FOR NEW GUYS

Getting Started Online- Hamachi setup and netplay - Getting Started

Genesis Test Games - Post Here

SNES Test Games - Post Here

View the Waiting List here

In addition, we won't have dnps this year. For every game unplayed, we will deduct two points from the standings. If you play your games early and often, you can reach 40 games no problem. If there's a tie in points, the first tie break will be games played.

Well, that ruling is interesting. I hope there'll be some renewed motivation that players will complete their games.

I hope some of the newbs on the lists will be present. New players could provide a longer lifeline for the leagues.

Edited by RedWingDevil

And on the 20th day, God created....

Spring '11 Classic League Registration!

Register HERE

For those of you who have registered on the NHL94Online site before, then registration will be easy. You just need to choose "Yes" for the question "Have you registered for a league before?", type in your site user name and password (NOTE: This is different than your forum password and user name, unless you made it the same), and choose the league you will be joining and your team preferences (a total of 10). Then hit submit and you will be placed on the waiting list. It's that easy.

For those of you who have not registered on the NHL94Online site before, then there is a little more info. to fill out. You need to choose "No" for the question "Have you registered for a league before?" and enter a user name and password (it's common to use the same user name as your forum name or AIM name). You will also be asked to fill out some more information about yourself (email, location, timezone, AIM Name, system preference). Then choose the league you will be joining and your team preferences (a total of 10). Then hit submit and you will be placed on the waiting list. You will then need to play a test game to make sure your connection is set up properly. This does not affect your place on the waiting list, but you cannot play in the league without playing the test game.

Registration deadline will be Monday, February 28th. At that point, we will assign teams to coaches and the schedules will be released.

There are 3 league levels we are hoping to run this season:

[GENS-A: This is for Advanced players. Genesis]

[GENS-B: This is for Beginner/Intermediate players. Genesis]

[sNES: All skills, SNES version]

You can sign up for multiple league levels (i.e. GENS-A and SNES).

All beginner players for Genesis will be put in GENS-B. You are required to be potty trained to play with the big boys. As always, halifax and I will have the last say in who goes where if we need to even out the 2 Genesis leagues.

Good luck! If there are any questions or problems, feel free to PM me or hit me up on AIM and leave a msg. AIM: Rage93

LINKS FOR NEW GUYS

Genesis Test Games - Post Here

SNES Test Games - Post Here

View the Waiting List here

Email is better for me: simonherrera@me.com. Looking forward to playing.

While email is fine to try and set up games....Everyone uses AIM as their main form to contact each other for games.

Can we use something like this when assigning teams?

http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/12209-fall-2010-teams-assigned/page__view__findpost__p__95510

More people will get their top choices, and it kind of rewards people for picking varied teams instead of picking the usual favourites.

If you want to increase the value/importance of being randomly selected to get your team assigned early, then take the top 2 teams on each pass (so in the diagram, mav would have gotten the Leafs, his 2nd choice, but redwingdevil and dexpsu would get skipped since both their top 2 were already taken -- then in the next round their possible teams would be their #2 and #3 teams..). Maybe even go with the top 3 each round.

isn't it friggin' awesome?

yes but if they all start out 0-10 they'll start dropping out like flies quitting citing reasons like "i got a bad team" or "im just not cut out to play cuz its too hard"

If the vets could help out with the test games, that would be great. I'm not going to be able to play until the weekend since I'm out of town. With the influx of newcomers, it would be nice if more guys could help out. Registration is only until Monday and there are a lot of guys that still need to be confirmed. Please add them to your AIM and try contacting them instead of waiting for them to contact you. This is how the community grows!

It would be great to get them all done so team selection wouldn't be delayed. They are all posting in the test game request threads. Thanks to those who have helped out so far!

Can we use something like this when assigning teams?

http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/12209-fall-2010-teams-assigned/page__view__findpost__p__95510

More people will get their top choices, and it kind of rewards people for picking varied teams instead of picking the usual favourites.

If you want to increase the value/importance of being randomly selected to get your team assigned early, then take the top 2 teams on each pass (so in the diagram, mav would have gotten the Leafs, his 2nd choice, but redwingdevil and dexpsu would get skipped since both their top 2 were already taken -- then in the next round their possible teams would be their #2 and #3 teams..). Maybe even go with the top 3 each round.

Thanks bud. I like the idea, but we already started registration and guys picked their teams assuming that it would be done the same way as last season. There's over 50 guys signed up so far, which means 50+ guys might want to change their picks. That's extra work that neither chaos or I are interested in.

If someone wants to contact everyone and send me an excel sheet with any new picks. I'm fine with doing it that way.

We're not going to do a C league. The reason being is that we always put new players in the bottom level but we think it's better to have a mixture of new players and veteran players in a league. Since there's so many new players we'll do two separate B leagues instead.

Once the teams get assigned tuesday, anyone who did not get one of their top 5 choices will have the option of dropping their team and picking another team that is still available.

We could have one big B league and than just have an upper tier and a lower tier playoffs

I'd welcome any suggestions for how the B league(s) could be run. Judging about the amount signing up, if it keeps going, we may go with three B leagues.

Keep in mind with one big league, we'd have to double up teams and I don't think we want to get into Chi vs Chi etc. There's also some players in B who I think we be too good if they finished the regular season to play in the lower tier playoffs(ex. the lost points for several unplayed games and moved down in the standings.)

Please keep the ideas coming.

I'd welcome any suggestions for how the B league(s) could be run. Judging about the amount signing up, if it keeps going, we may go with three B leagues.

Keep in mind with one big league, we'd have to double up teams and I don't think we want to get into Chi vs Chi etc. There's also some players in B who I think we be too good if they finished the regular season to play in the lower tier playoffs(ex. the lost points for several unplayed games and moved down in the standings.)

Can you create a C league ? If we have a C league, we can split B league in 2.

Check all-time standing on the site and rank all veteran by winning pourcentage. Split the first half with B league and other veteran on C league. For the new's put it randomly on B and C league.

Edited by dan_lizhot

Have you ever considered running a league where each person plays "as themselves", rather than married to a particular NHL franchise? When you actually play your scheduled opponent, you can simply select any NHL 94 team that you would like to play as. I guess you might get some Chi vs. Chi games that way too, but it would also eliminate unfairness based on team selection. The results would be more about "who's the best player", as opposed to being biased by how good or bad your team was. Just an idea.

I noticed among the 30! signups for SNES, there are 12 different top team requests. So I think you could pretty easily partition leagues to minimize the number of games where both players choose the same team, if you knew everyone's preference. And besides, would anyone really be upset by a few Chi vs. Chi? I mean, that's a pure battle, best player wins. Zero game bias.

This would also allow for larger leagues, since the biggest problem with those huge leagues currently is that whoever is playing with the worst 5 teams basically have little to no chance. Now you could have a large, fully competitive league.

Edited by gsguyotte