NHL'94 Forums

Home Ice Advantage

gsguyotte

In getting worked up to start my first league, I was browsing the past standings and noted something interesting.

I looked at all the Classic 94 Leagues from 2010 (both GENS and SNES), and 6 out of 7 leagues posted a higher home ice winning percentage. It was quite significant in some cases (57% home ice win in SNES-A Spr. 2010). The average overall all the leagues was around a 53% home ice winning percentage.

Anyone think there is a little home ice advantage built in to the game? It sure seems it.

How much of it is actually Home Ice Advantage? How much is game play preference? I know personally that I play better trying to score at the top net 2 times a game so when I am the away team I have 2 periods to score in bottom net and that's where I struggle. But sometimes it does seem as though the home team seems to play a little better also.

How much of it is actually Home Ice Advantage? How much is game play preference? I know personally that I play better trying to score at the top net 2 times a game so when I am the away team I have 2 periods to score in bottom net and that's where I struggle. But sometimes it does seem as though the home team seems to play a little better also.

This probably has some to do with it. I actually prefer to score at the bottom net, I feel like I can see the trailer a little better and I do play for a lot of one-timers.

This probably has some to do with it. I actually prefer to score at the bottom net, I feel like I can see the trailer a little better and I do play for a lot of one-timers.

I also prefer to score at the bottom net. The last 2 classic seasons I've had a better record away than home.

In getting worked up to start my first league, I was browsing the past standings and noted something interesting.

I looked at all the Classic 94 Leagues from 2010 (both GENS and SNES), and 6 out of 7 leagues posted a higher home ice winning percentage. It was quite significant in some cases (57% home ice win in SNES-A Spr. 2010). The average overall all the leagues was around a 53% home ice winning percentage.

Anyone think there is a little home ice advantage built in to the game? It sure seems it.

For having only 8 posts you sure do have a lot to criticize...

i seem to find that home team gets a 3rd period advantage - not sure if it's related but crowd noise usually shows me whos had the advantage in the game, i.e if you can keep it quiet than away team got some advantage or at least played well enough to silence the crowd.

• 3 months later...

I noticed at the end of the manual (http://nhl94.com/multimedia/manuals/NHL94_GEN.pdf) starting on pg 55, it lists the teams and rosters. For each team, the manual lists "Home Ice Advantage" and "Road Ice Disadvantage" from Low, Average, and High.

You think there's anything to that? From the stats you guys presented, there's undoubtedly an overall home ice advantage, but I wonder if it's more/less severe depending on the teams? A High Home Ice Advantage vs. High Road Ice Disadvantage would be the most skewed, etc.

Home/Road advantages do affect some skills. I can't remember them off the top of my head, but I know when you're on the road, if you have a good road advantage, your players have higher aggression (or is it roughness). Similarly, PP/PK skills also affect things like shot accuracy.

I noticed at the end of the manual (http://nhl94.com/multimedia/manuals/NHL94_GEN.pdf) starting on pg 55, it lists the teams and rosters. For each team, the manual lists "Home Ice Advantage" and "Road Ice Disadvantage" from Low, Average, and High.

You think there's anything to that? From the stats you guys presented, there's undoubtedly an overall home ice advantage, but I wonder if it's more/less severe depending on the teams? A High Home Ice Advantage vs. High Road Ice Disadvantage would be the most skewed, etc.

Yeah, I was going to say the manual actually states home & away advantage levels, and i've noticed that the players stats in things like offensive & defensive awareness differ from game to game. I like to set my PK teams based primarily on def awareness, so when I play with line changes my PK usually differ from game to game. Is this related to home or away advantage levels?

And I am another that prefers attacking the top net, and also defending the bottom net, so away games are more difficult for me.

It's certainly an interesting post and a valid discussion.

Home/Road advantages do affect some skills. I can't remember them off the top of my head, but I know when you're on the road, if you have a good road advantage, your players have higher aggression (or is it roughness). Similarly, PP/PK skills also affect things like shot accuracy.

Fascinating! Is this true in Blitz as well, or have you found the code and normalized it for all teams? I never thought about this when switching teams from BUF to DAL. Not that I'm complaining (I can't stand that Buffalo music), but just never considered it.

Yeah, I was going to say the manual actually states home & away advantage levels, and i've noticed that the players stats in things like offensive & defensive awareness differ from game to game.

Fascinating! lol. If I remember, I will try to pay attention to this.

Yeah, I was going to say the manual actually states home & away advantage levels, and i've noticed that the players stats in things like offensive & defensive awareness differ from game to game. I like to set my PK teams based primarily on def awareness, so when I play with line changes my PK usually differ from game to game. Is this related to home or away advantage levels?

And I am another that prefers attacking the top net, and also defending the bottom net, so away games are more difficult for me.

It's certainly an interesting post and a valid discussion.

You actually should ignore the player ratings in the Edit Lines and Team Roster pages since they don't mean anything. They're randomly generated within +/-8 of their base attribute, but actually "under-the-hood", the bonuses are different. It's a stupid bug. You can read more about it here where I made a hack to fix it.

Fascinating! Is this true in Blitz as well, or have you found the code and normalized it for all teams? I never thought about this when switching teams from BUF to DAL. Not that I'm complaining (I can't stand that Buffalo music), but just never considered it.

In Blitz, all the teams have the same attributes. I think I gave a slight home advantage and a large PP advantage (since it seems so easy to score PK goals). I also equalized the ratings for this year's Summit. In the previous Summits, Canada's team was using Anaheim's ratings and USA's team was using Boston's rather better ratings. Another reason the USA season 2 summit victory is a sham ;)

In Blitz, all the teams have the same attributes. I think I gave a slight home advantage and a large PP advantage (since it seems so easy to score PK goals). I also equalized the ratings for this year's Summit. In the previous Summits, Canada's team was using Anaheim's ratings and USA's team was using Boston's rather better ratings. Another reason the USA season 2 summit victory is a sham ;)

Awesome, thanks. And USA's victory this season will be completely legit. :D

• 3 months later...

Looking at the classic results (6,850 games) of the regular season for Home and Away, there is an overall home ice advantage. Overall .523 home vs .477 away. But what's more interesting is that the "High", "Avg", and "Low" Home/Road Ice Advantage ratings for each team seem to make a difference too. In the few teams that have a High road advantage and Avg home, the away % is greater than home.

For example, EDM has Avg home ice advantage, and a High road advantage. They post a .396 home and .481 away! NJ is the same Avg/High and they too, have a better road record of .382 vs .353 home. So I guess you're better off on the road with those teams.

TEAM	Win%	Home %	Away %	HIA	RIA 
ANH	0.211 	0.263 	0.158 	Low	Low
BOS	0.535 	0.577 	0.491 	High	Avg
BUF	0.579 	0.629 	0.529 	High	Avg
CAL	0.474 	0.473 	0.476 	Low	Low
CHI	0.692 	0.719 	0.667 	High	Avg
DAL	0.529 	0.546 	0.512 	Low	Low
DET	0.610 	0.637 	0.583 	Low	Low
EDM	0.439 	0.396 	0.481 	Avg	High
HTF	0.366 	0.400 	0.333 	Low	Low
LA	0.533 	0.541 	0.526 	Avg	Avg
MON	0.615 	0.665 	0.566 	High	Avg
NJ	0.368 	0.353 	0.382 	Avg	High
NYI	0.725 	0.900 	0.550 	Low	Low
NYR	0.476 	0.513 	0.440 	Avg	Avg
OTT	0.438 	0.500 	0.375 	Low	Low
PHI	0.282 	0.283 	0.280 	High	High
PIT	0.359 	0.406 	0.312 	High	Avg
QUE	0.397 	0.394 	0.400 	Low	Low
SJ	0.331 	0.384 	0.278 	Avg	High
STL	0.287 	0.302 	0.271 	High	Avg
TB	0.557 	0.571 	0.542 	Low	Low
TOR	0.470 	0.500 	0.441 	Avg	Avg
VAN	0.541 	0.534 	0.549 	Avg	Avg
WSH	0.528 	0.556 	0.500 	Avg	Avg
WPG	0.439 	0.479 	0.399 	Avg	Avg

Total	0.500 	0.523 	0.477 		

Another quick note -- here are the results of home ice win % compared the the overall percentage for teams who have HIA listed as High, Avg, and Low:

HIA	Win %	Home %	Diff
High	0.522 	0.558 	0.036 
Avg	0.479 	0.496 	0.017 
Low	0.496 	0.512 	0.016 

You can see that a "high" home ice advantage seems to bump up your win% more so than avg and low. All of which makes sense and confirms (at least for me) that home ice is usually better, and the individual team advantages also factor in the game.

My next goal is to see if I can get my hands on the game by game data to see how the results look for home teams with high/avg/low advantage vs teams with high/avg/low away advantage. That granularity would be interesting.

Edited by kingraph

Isles at .900 win at home WTF??

Lol, I didn't filter the data. This anomaly is Icestorms 29-11 season with the Isles. He went 18-2 at home. :blink: I'll filter low sample size in the future.

http://nhl94online.com/html/coachpage.php?lg=7&sublg=GENS&team_ID=227

Edited by kingraph