NHL'94 Forums

How does the plus/minus rating really work?

RedWingDevil

There is some mind-boggling detail about the plus/minus rating for players when it comes to goals and assists made and when the opposing team gets inflicted by the scoring goal. Normally, if you had a hat trick and you were on the ice for all 3 goals (And it should be very evident), you should have a +3 rating, right?

For instance, I'm watching Rangers vs Flyers right now and Ryan Callahan had scored his 4th goal of the game, yet his rating is merely +2! Unless I was completely asleep, the Flyers haven't scored any goals as of right now. Can anyone clarify this?

There is some mind-boggling detail about the plus/minus rating for players when it comes to goals and assists made and when the opposing team gets inflicted by the scoring goal. Normally, if you had a hat trick and you were on the ice for all 3 goals (And it should be very evident), you should have a +3 rating, right?

For instance, I'm watching Rangers vs Flyers right now and Ryan Callahan had scored his 4th goal of the game, yet his rating is merely +2! Unless I was completely asleep, the Flyers haven't scored any goals as of right now. Can anyone clarify this?

you are an idiot. :blink:

being on the ice when a goal is scored is a plus. being on the ice when a goal is scored against is a minus and also taking a penalty too is a minus i think

I'm not sure if taking a penalty results in a minus or not, but I do know this:

You get a plus if you are on the ice when your team scores in either a 5 on 5 or shorthanded penalty kill situation.

You get a minus if you are on the ice when you team is scored against in a 5 on 5 or a powerplay.

If you team is scored on while killing a penalty, no minus is given to your players on the ice...

Yeah, for Callahan, he must have scored 2 PPGs, which don't give pluses.

A couple cases not covered here:

if you're on the PP and get a penalty shot and score, you don't get a plus.

If you're on the PK and get a penalty shot and score, you get a plus. I think it's just the guy who scored who gets the plus, not the guys on the ice when the penalty shot was awarded.

I don't think there are any minuses awarded for a penalty shot goal.