NHL'94 Forums

No suspension?!

shaftman

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/p1rM102Fyj4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I, like many of you, watched the game live last night. I saw, with less than 20 seconds left in the 2nd period, Pacioretty skating hard to get to the puck and Chara closing in on the play. What I saw next was quite simply brutal. Chara pushed Pacioretty hard into the boards/pole. Chara is a massive, strong man so when he pushes you, it is virtually unstoppable and it will be forceful. Chara made the decision to do what he did. He is a veteran and he knows the Habs ice. Chara could have easily chosen NOT to do it. You can clearly see Chara shove Pacioretty. He did not 'guide' him. Pacioretty was defenseless. From the first time I saw it to the many replays, it was absolutely brutal. I prayed to God that Max did not have a broken neck and/or fractured skull. We now have learned he does in fact have a cracked vertebrae...incredible it was not worse...but what if it was? What if he would have been paralyzed or his injuries led to his death? Chara and the Bruins coach both spun how Chara is not a dirty player and all you have to do is look at his past. Chara also said he did not want to hurt Max or anyone he plays against. That is a lie! Let his past record be changed. Chara lined that hit up. He was very frustrated that his team was getting beat so badly. He wanted to send a strong message to the Habs for the 3rd period. Now the league can send a strong message to Chara and the Bruins organization. So many times the offender gets the light end of punishment while the victim suffers. A severe suspension is needed. Imagine if this was a player from your fav team. Imagine if this was your son or relative...I cannot fathom how Max's family must be doing right now. It was a scary, terrible and absolutely preventable incident. Zdeno Chara made the decision to do what he did and he must be held accountable. If not, then it is just one more black eye on the NHL that goes untreated. At any level of hockey, this type of hit should result in harsh punishment.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/p1rM102Fyj4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I, like many of you, watched the game live last night. I saw, with less than 20 seconds left in the 2nd period, Pacioretty skating hard to get to the puck and Chara closing in on the play. What I saw next was quite simply brutal. Chara pushed Pacioretty hard into the boards/pole. Chara is a massive, strong man so when he pushes you, it is virtually unstoppable and it will be forceful. Chara made the decision to do what he did. He is a veteran and he knows the Habs ice. Chara could have easily chosen NOT to do it. You can clearly see Chara shove Pacioretty. He did not 'guide' him. Pacioretty was defenseless. From the first time I saw it to the many replays, it was absolutely brutal. I prayed to God that Max did not have a broken neck and/or fractured skull. We now have learned he does in fact have a cracked vertebrae...incredible it was not worse...but what if it was? What if he would have been paralyzed or his injuries led to his death? Chara and the Bruins coach both spun how Chara is not a dirty player and all you have to do is look at his past. Chara also said he did not want to hurt Max or anyone he plays against. That is a lie! Let his past record be changed. Chara lined that hit up. He was very frustrated that his team was getting beat so badly. He wanted to send a strong message to the Habs for the 3rd period. Now the league can send a strong message to Chara and the Bruins organization. So many times the offender gets the light end of punishment while the victim suffers. A severe suspension is needed. Imagine if this was a player from your fav team. Imagine if this was your son or relative...I cannot fathom how Max's family must be doing right now. It was a scary, terrible and absolutely preventable incident. Zdeno Chara made the decision to do what he did and he must be held accountable. If not, then it is just one more black eye on the NHL that goes untreated. At any level of hockey, this type of hit should result in harsh punishment.

AGREED! Complete cheap shot for sure .Pacioretty gave chara a little shot earlier after montreal scored and Chara knew exactly where they were on the ice and he was getting a little revenge for earlier.He should get the rest of the season or worse.

If chara made 700k/year and was some unknown 6th/7th Dman for the bruins, he would have get 5gms+.

Chara has been on Pacio's back since Max pushed him after Habs won in OT vs bruins a while ago. Chara wanted payback.

When you're a veteran of 10season+, you know when you are in front of your bench that there is that 'DANGER ZONE'. Chara knew it. He probly didnt want to injured pacio like that, but he did want him to hit that corner glass.

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah cmon man, watch the play at real speed, u think Chara knew he was driving Maxpack into the divider? Geezus thats just plain ridiculous. To say 'he knows habs ice' it just ridiculous.

What happened was tragic but not a result of calousness or intent to cause injury. What I saw at real speed (not some freeze frame pic' was chara riding pacs into the boards like what happens dozens of times per game. Only difference was the unluckiness of the divider being in the way.

Case close, no suspension is right on. Deal with it habs fans. I hate both the ruins and habs so consider this an impartial take.

so as chara was reaching to poke the puck away from max, he then realized in .0000001 of a second that oh ya the divider is here, let me run him into it. As opposed to the much more reasonable thought that hey, the pucks there, pacs is there let me run him into the boards or even better drive him over the wall into the bench (which that type of play makes every highlight whenever it happens). Clean play, he was screwed by even getting called a penalty on the play.

From article after game:

Then again, so do the ‘hockey people’, including a host of ex-players who have weighed in and argued the hit was simply a part of a physical game. Their take is that Chara’s five-minute interference penalty and game misconduct was a sufficient price for a generally routine play that had an unfortunate outcome. To go any further in terms of discipline would be to threaten the fundamental nature of the sport.

Shut the f**k up. Don't try and be condescendant.

Chara knew where the hell was the pole as it's the same f**king location on every rink he's played since he was let's say five f**king years old. He's not trying to hip check or block him, he's shoving him into the pole while he's facing it.

As for the article shove it up where you can. There's plenty of articles going the otherway including ones in the Boston Globe.

How was he screwed by getting a penalty you screwdriver? He doesn't have the puck, that's blatent interference.

Yes because trying to empeach guys getting severly concussed and having vertabrea broken is :

Against the nature of the game.

You f**king backwards redneck.

Edited by The Russian Rocket

its impossible to know what was going though charas mind so i donno why we try to speculate. but i will say yes.. chara obviously knows thats a dangerous place to check someone and yes he did want payback and ya he probably wanted to hurt pacioretty but i doubt highly theres a single player in the nhl that wants to injure someone that bad under ANY circumstance. just sucks it happened the way it did, if he got suspended i wouldnt have disagreed prolly

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RuRSLZ8LRRs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

totally disagree, the NHL got it right. No suspension, if anything the refs overreacted due to the crowd reaction byu handing out a 5 min 'interference' call. Never seen that before. Like I said feel bad for maxpak but people are only reacting this way cuz A) they're Habs fans and B ) he got injured bad.

Above vid shows a douchebag move by max in january. Wouldnt be the first douchebag move by a Hab named Max.

So no checking by the benches is what I'm hearing?

Bottom line is we can disagree, the people that matter got it right.

Yes because trying to empeach guys getting severly concussed and having vertabrea broken is :

Against the nature of the game.

not my quote, just several ex-players. why dont we sit back and listen to what current non-hab players say in addition to ex-players. then judge from there.

DOUCHE BAG MOVE ? HE JUST PUSHED WITH 1 HAND CHARA THAT WAS COMING HIS WAY FOR NO REASON.

nhl got double standards for stars period

nah u gotta watch the whole vid, chara skating away towards back of his net, maxpak skates up to him then shoves him from behind way after the play. total MAX type of instigation (lapierre like)

not my quote, just several ex-players. why dont we sit back and listen to what current non-hab players say in addition to ex-players. then judge from there.

all blogs and comments prior to no-suspension anoncement, almost everyone (fans across the lg) expected chara to be suspended. Post annoncement reaction are all WTGA. Dany Dubé went ape s**t

Icestorm: That's interference retard. That's a dangerous illegal play that lead to a sever injury: WTF DO you want else?

Go check the Gillies suspension if you can find a difference between the two plays aside from the name on the back of the jersey.

FlamingPavelBure

: Ahhh why do i talk to an high school dropout w/

Icestorm NHL94

: btw i thought bertuzzi and mcsolrley got the shaft

FlamingPavelBure

: Nice. You're officialy retarded

Icestorm NHL94

: :-)

: both instances players were being bitches

: instead of manning up

FlamingPavelBure

: Yes. Next time you refuse to fight in a bar someone should shoot you with his gun

Icestorm NHL94

: thats what is screwing the game up, cowards who wont drop there gloves and settle things

: little bicthes running around with cheap shotts

: not having to worry about getting the snot pummeled out of them

FlamingPavelBure

: I fail to see how a little shove is a cheap shot

continued IM as if anyone cares FPB

Icestorm NHL94 7:47 pm

in general

no one has to pay the rpices anymore cuz everyone want fighting gone

proce

FlamingPavelBure 7:48 pm

the price of a shove

you're an idiot.

Icestorm NHL94 7:48 pm

in general

Icestorm NHL94 7:48 pm

agian ur unable to grasp the term 'in general'

Mcsorley and Bertuzzi were around beforethe instigator rule

so you fail again

Icestorm NHL94 7:49 pm

around yes

FlamingPavelBure 7:49 pm

You protect yourself with rhetoric

but when did the incidents take place?

go back and look

besides, liek i said

The instigator rule wasn't installed

they could have easily fought them without extra penalties

in both cases the attackee were runnign like bitches and not manning up

but they decided to cheap shot them instead

oh ya

didnt bertuzzis star teammate get cheapshotted byn the coward earlier in the game

FlamingPavelBure 7:50 pm

Yes because cheap shotting someone back, causing severe injury is better than the guy who did a shove or a push

Icestorm NHL94 7:50 pm

point made

naslund

Not point made

yep

The fact he did it or not doesn't render Bertuzzi or Mcsroley innocent

didnt say innoncent

part of the game

FlamingPavelBure 7:51 pm

If someone shoves your friend your not going to shoot him with a pistol won't you?

Part of life

Icestorm NHL94 7:51 pm

lol

of course not

again dramaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Anyway. Just gtfo. You're a living disgrace

A waste of ressource

Icestorm NHL94 7:51 pm

:-)

You living fossil

FlamingPavelBure is offline 7:51 pm

IMs are delivered when the buddy signs in. Send FlamingPavelBure a text message

Icestorm NHL94 7:52 pm

too bad u dont respect others opinions

Having an opinion doesn't entitle you to any kind of respect.

Not all opinions are equal, you probably would have learned this if you were somehow educated

well your opinion is always well respected :) I'm done with the drama. feel bad for Max, but justice was served.

well your opinion is always well respected :) I'm done with the drama. feel bad for Max, but justice was served.

Public opinion does not weight on someone's opinion.

Hitler was elected by the people.

I think you fail to grasp this concept of education.

Having an opinion doesn't entitle you to any kind of respect.Not all opinions are equal, you probably would have learned this if you were somehow educated

I think you fail to grasp this concept of education.

stop acting like an elitist, its fkn sickening.

Id like to add one more thing.

Paciorrety said from his hospital room : "I'm not mad for myself, I'm mad because if other players see a hit like that and think it's okay, they won't be suspended, then other players will get hurt like I got hurt."

THIS

NO FINE/SUSPENSION TO CHARA TELLS ALL PLAYER ONE THING :

You can hit any player near the benchs where there is that 'danzer zone' and you wont get any consequences for this. No matter if the other player broke his neck or not.

Guest Houli

The rookie native of Connecticut would have liked the chance to deliver his story to the league because he claims never to have "been able to defend myself. " He explained that Chara has put his hand on his head and he could not move.

"on RDS by Renaud Lavoie"

Chara is a fn dangerous player to play vs...fack!!! no suspension is a joke!!!

Ice, By bringing up the negative history between the players, doesn't that SHOW that there could have been intent by Chara?

ya sure, no ones denying there isn't bad blood between the two. I guess a reasonable question is, if the centre divider wasn't there, does anyone think Chara would've pulled up and NOT hit pacioretti? Highly doubt it, but then again it would call for speculation on Chara's intent.

I dont think anyone is going to change anyone elses minds here. I think it was a hockey play where Chara was finishing his check, albeit a little late and other guys think it was illegal and some murder. The end result of the play is what is driving this debate, had pacs been ok this would've ended 25 posts ago.

Mcsorley and Bertuzzi were around beforethe instigator rule

so you fail again

The instigator rule wasn't installed

they could have easily fought them without extra penalties

Am I the only one reading this?