NHL'94 Forums

No suspension?!

shaftman

Don Cherry will have a lot to say about this this weekend. He has in the past pushed for more padding on the stanchions... That padding was pretty pathetic.

Also, the still picture in post #4 shows pretty clearly that Chara's hand is blocking him from ducking.

I think the overhead view gives the best look.. I don't think Chara knew he'd hit the stanchion. He just wanted to give a big hit and send the guy flying.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pure speculation.

f**k off. If you've been playing the game of hockey for 20 years and you don't know where the stanchions are, even when you're facing them, it's pure bullshit.

Might as well say you don't know the location of the net.

As for the engagement thing:

He didn't physically engage him before the puck was up and away. That is INTERFERENCE. Look up the f**king play you moron. Pucks get dumped then the check.

Being near him when he dumped the puck doesn't allow you to check the other guy.

Someone should shove your head against the goalpost at fullspeed next time you play hockey.

I sincerely hope you get paralyzed.

Then maybe it will cross your head that when there's blatently dangerous events, you just don't keep them around for the sake ''of the game'' that most of you don't even f**king play.

Edited by The Russian Rocket

Don Cherrys opinion shouldn't count, as he's well known to be anti-european. It'll be entertaining but useless as far as an educated opinion.

f**k off. If you've been playing the game of hockey for 20 years and you don't know where the stanchions are, even when you're facing them, it's pure bullshit.

Might as well say you don't know the location of the net.

As for the engagement thing:

He didn't physically engage him before the puck was up and away. That is INTERFERENCE. Look up the f**king play you moron. Pucks get dumped then the check.

Being near him when he dumped the puck doesn't allow you to check the other guy.

Someone should shove your head against the goalpost at fullspeed next time you play hockey.

I sincerely hope you get paralyzed.

Then maybe it will cross your head that when there's blatently dangerous events, you just don't keep them around for the sake ''of the game'' that most of you don't even f**king play.

0 Games 0 $'s. Nuff said.

You're a pretty angry young man there.

Don Cherrys opinion shouldn't count, as he's well known to be anti-european. It'll be entertaining but useless as far as an educated opinion.

But somehow Colin Campbell's (High school degree) opinion counts.

b***h please. You're self contradicting.

If you're not upset about someone having an opinion that ressembles 1960 mentality, there's not much to get upset about.

It's because of men like you that the world doesn't progress.

PS: Your opinion shouldn't count, as you often showed sub-adolescent process of tought. Such as proclaiming high and strong that Barack Obama was a communist.

OK THATS STEPPING OVER THE LINE MISTER,Don Cherry is the MAN! You arent even worthy of licking the dog poop off his shoes lol

Edited by hokkeefan

I think we should quit this whole argument, it's over. Calling eachother names because you disagree won't get Chara suspended anytime sooner if at all. Habs fans, you lost a player for the season, it happens to everyone. His career is not over he will be back next year. I am not on either side I just want people to stop hating on eachother.

Doesn't take a genius to know about hard objects and heads :D

When he talks about hockey, he's pretty good, when he doesn't let his non-hockey opinions get in the way :P (and i wouldn't say he's anti-european or anti-french in a black-and-white sense, but he won't give them the benefit of the doubt that they play the brand of hockey he likes (like good ol' canadian boys), until they prove it... He's old :P)

You have to hand it to FPB. He has great comedic irony.

have you ever heard someone so angry and so volatile at such a young age?

If that represents forward and modern thinking, I'd prefer to carry a club and drag my women by the hair.

It isn't 'modern' to want to lock somebody up for some perceived or vicarious injury they have caused you. It's just another type of violence that has being going since the rule of law.

Everything regarding Chara's intent on this specific play is mere speculation. You simply can't punish Chara for the worst possibility that this incident may represent, even if it has some credibility, because he has the alibi of this being a hockey play gone wrong.

The play itself remains pretty ambiguous. At the very least Chara was being reckless. It's a reckless play to finish a check by a stanchion. But compare this play to the McCorsley and Bertuzzi incidents, minus the results of course, which should't figure in, and you can clearly see the disparity of visible intent.

Grayto: So what? Do you think players ALWAYS intentionally get penalties? IT'S NOT A HOCKEY PLAY. Inteference = AGAINST THE RULES = NOT A FCK'IN HOCKEY PLAY.

If we'd go by that you could say boarding someone is a hockey play because you get the puck back.

Icestorm: Generalisation and attack of the person instead of his ocmments at the same time.

Bravo for your sophisms and lack of actual ability to build a proper speech.

Ok, but you're not arguing for it being a penalty, you're arguing it for being a suspension. The intention is what matters in suspensions, not penalties, that's the crucial difference. High stick = high sticking penalty whether intentional or not, high stick= no suspension, intentional high stick =yes suspension

Also, the difference between a 'hockey play' and and illegal play can be very slight, like a difference between roughing and just being mean. It comes down to the referee raising his hand. People are acting like Chara has the mentality of a murderer, when you don't know that, and you can't know that from the play itself.

A player you should be judged equally, whether he tripped somebody and the guy was ok, or he tripped somebody and he happened to break his leg on the boards, everything else about the penalty being equal.

You can argue the hit was late and therefore interference, but you can't argue the hit was inarguably so late or malicious it requires a suspension, nor can you argue that the hit was late and therefore interference, and therefore worthy of suspension.

Grayto: They can't always prove intention on boarding, yet they still suspend it, because it's dangerous regardless of being intentional or not.

The rules are clear cut. If some referees decide he lets it loose some game it shouldn't be accounted. All that matter is the rules. And Roughing, as Interference is pretty straight forward (First is using your hands on someone's face, and the other checking him without the puck).

Even if he didn't want to kill him it was pretty clear he was going to check him into the pole. That's dangerous and against the rules. Chara was facing the pole so he couldn't have not seen it.

Why is it that everyone outside the province of Quebec is laughing at the french canadian police getting involved. That is an absolute joke. Vinny is right, the game is turning into a bunch of candya$$es.

First off, not everyone is laughing.

Secondly, if you think kids getting their knecks LITERALLY broken, is candyass, then step right up and show me how a real man would take it.

We love and respect the roughest and toughest game, nothing feels better than a guy getting laid out.

But when someone nearly DIES? This is not part of the sport, and isn't ok.

So this is why we're pussies in your books?

Get real!

geezus if this was Clitsome in Columbus you wouldn't say boo about this. But since it's a Holy Hab the province of Quebec has to file charges and get the police involved. It's a bunch of political bullsh!t posturing by the quebec law enforcement. it is an absolute joke that they are even 'investigating'.

This has truly gotten blown way out of proportion, maninly because again it was a Hab. The fact Air Canada is threatening topull their sponsorship is plain ridiculous.

It's a high speed high impact sport, and accidents will occur. There's no way to prove Chara's inetent, there is however proof Gionta intended to break David Backes Face last night when he cross checked him. Where is the justice in that incident, oh wait Backes isn;t in the hospital, so its ok.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SbycufqDBfQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Just a few days removed from the faux Chara outrage and...

Surprisingly no Hab fans called the St. Louis PD demanding Gionta's arrest.

No letter from Geoff Molson to Geoff Molson criticizing the cheap shot.

No threat from Air Canada threatening to withdraw sponsorship of the Montreal Canadiens...

Icestorm: Get the f**k out of here. It's a drity play no matter the names on the back of the jersey.

I hate Boston but I still could recognize that Savard got dick'd by Cooke.

YOu're just running out of arguementes and ressorting to attacking the persons instead of the arguements.

You piece of s**t.

Icestorm: Get the f**k out of here. It's a drity play no matter the names on the back of the jersey.

I hate Boston but I still could recognize that Savard got dick'd by Cooke.

YOu're just running out of arguementes and ressorting to attacking the persons instead of the arguements.

You piece of s**t.

lol I haven't attacked one person on here. Nor insulted, nor called names. I haven't resorted to such juvenile levels. Just expressed my opinion. Which has caused you to call me stupid, an idiot, a piece of sh!t, and umm can't remember what else u used in your argument.

At any rate, i am not a fan of hypocrates.

Secondly, if you think kids getting their knecks LITERALLY broken, is candyass, then step right up and show me how a real man would take it.

We love and respect the roughest and toughest game, nothing feels better than a guy getting laid out.

But when someone nearly DIES? This is not part of the sport, and isn't ok.

So this is why we're pussies in your books?

Get real!

I don't think kids getting their necks broken is candyass, I think candyass is blaming the rules, the game, officials, etc. A "real man" or as I would like to refer as a player with good senses will keep his head up along the wall when engaging with the BIGGEST defenseman in the NHL and be able to brace himself for the hit like he has for years. Its impossible to see every hit coming, but when one ends bad (or in serious injury) no need to vilify unless it was obviously intended. It was a bad hit, not a cheap hit, cheap hits should be a reason to suspend not a bad hit without vicious intention. Some of you guys say Chara put his hands down to keep him from ducking, but than again Chara is huge compared to this dude and from being a big guy who played the game - our hands often will wind up at head level of other players for various situations and reasons, but it's not always because we are going for head shots and trying to hurt other players. Being taller is tough because when these small guys are bending their knees so deep pivoting in the corners its really difficult to get yourself all the way down to make clean body contact. Big guys respect the game too and would rather not cause serious injury. I wish I knew how many of you guys strapped up the pads for how many years at which level because I thought Canadians were supposed to know this game.

Edited by kupuck19

geezus if this was Clitsome in Columbus you wouldn't say boo about this. But since it's a Holy Hab the province of Quebec has to file charges and get the police involved. It's a bunch of political bullsh!t posturing by the quebec law enforcement. it is an absolute joke that they are even 'investigating'.

This has truly gotten blown way out of proportion, maninly because again it was a Hab. The fact Air Canada is threatening topull their sponsorship is plain ridiculous.

the only reason this is even happening like this is because the NHL failed to give simple 1-2-3-whatever game suspension, and there would be peace in the world.

The NHL wants to run the way it does? Shits going to happen, and it should. The players should jump this band wagon while they can, simply because its just not safe out there.

do you really want a list of players that are constantly getting injured around the league? because its a f**king LONG list my friend!

Icestorm: ''attacking the person'' doesn't have anything to do with calling names. It's saying stuff like ''He's an X (whatever term) so his point must be invalid''. Just after you try to add credibilty to yourself by saying you don't call names. Like that makes your point any more valid.

I think your defense of the Mcsorley and Bertuzzi aggressions have landed me the permission to use whatever demeaning words known.

Any one who takes those agressions, and concludes that Mcsorley and Bertuzzi got ''Shafted'' is an idiot, a piece of s**t, an immoral douche and an ineducated pile of garbage, and part as one participating in an ideology, a danger for hockey players everywhere.

That hit comparison with that vdeo was pretty fn sad lolol,I think the one in Vancouver is quite controversial as well lol cause he came right out of penalty box .Toews looks no one there ....then BOOM LOL

Edited by hokkeefan

I don't think kids getting their necks broken is candyass, I think candyass is blaming the rules, the game, officials, etc. A "real man" or as I would like to refer as a player with good senses will keep his head up along the wall when engaging with the BIGGEST defenseman in the NHL and be able to brace himself for the hit like he has for years. Its impossible to see every hit coming, but when one ends bad (or in serious injury) no need to vilify unless it was obviously intended. It was a bad hit, not a cheap hit, cheap hits should be a reason to suspend not a bad hit without vicious intention. Some of you guys say Chara put his hands down to keep him from ducking, but than again Chara is huge compared to this dude and from being a big guy who played the game - our hands often will wind up at head level of other players for various situations and reasons, but it's not always because we are going for head shots and trying to hurt other players. Being taller is tough because when these small guys are bending their knees so deep pivoting in the corners its really difficult to get yourself all the way down to make clean body contact. Big guys respect the game too and would rather not cause serious injury. I wish I knew how many of you guys strapped up the pads for how many years at which level because I thought Canadians were supposed to know this game.

Chara being a bigger guy gives him more responsiblity. Even me, I gotta be resonsible when making decisions to make hits and stuff - Subban

I agree with you, and would also say a player with good sense would not try and finish a late hit (on an ilegal hit (the intereference)) on a dangerous part of the ice. This on its own derserves what it got, ejection from the game, major penalty.

But the fact that there was a severe injure on an ilegal play (according to the rule book!) means there should be a suspension.

Theres even room for speculation on intent! (which USUALLY means a bigger slap on the wrist!)

but no, whats the title of thread again?

I don't know about the rest of you but I don't want to see someone else get flattened like that.

almost the exact same incedent as we have here, only the ilse guy didn't get hurt bad and the Habs were on the other end

so I guess this play is alright when the Habs do it but when it happens to them they go apeshit over an unlucky break for one of there fan favourites

this is just stupid, Chara isn't a dirty player, he didn't wanna hurt pacxorety (that bad atleast) so Habs fans just shut your mouths till playoff time when Scary Price shows the world that he can't perform in the pressure of the Stanely Cup finals.

Ok Montreal, time to call the police. A guy in Columbus did the same thing, albeit it with different results. That's fine, you can report attempted murder instead of murder. I want this addressed in Parliament while I'm drinking my first coffee on Monday.

<iframe src='http://video.thescore.com/embed/umberger-sends-doughty-into-stanchion' width='540' height='355' frameborder='0' scrolling='no'></iframe>

Notice the commentator on the video said that R.J. was just trying to finish his check. FACT: the commentator is Hitler incarnate. He is also a piece of s**t, an immoral douche and an "ineducated" pile of garbage, and part as one participating in an ideology, a danger for hockey players everywhere, amen.

Edited by Louie14

Louie4Teen: Notice I was talking about the Bertuzzi and Mcsorley hit. Learn 2 read. As for the hit he was hit from the side, he wasn't shoved DIRECTLY AGAINST the pole at full speed.

Halifax: Not the same play. Gill interferered with him but standing against him. He isn't shoving him against the post. His impact is due to Sim's locomotion, not someone shoving him against it. Tough it should deserve a deuce.