NHL'94 Forums

General Comments and Suggestions

angryjay93

Feel free to post any comments on the format I use to write up my team reviews and any changes that I should make it easier or more enjoyable to read.

Also, you're more than welcome to suggest future subjects for me to write on once I've completed all the teams.

Feel free to post any comments on the format I use to write up my SIGNATURE and any changes that I should make it easier or more enjoyable to read.

update it already.

Blitz 'A' Season 5 Choker:

G: Ed Belfour

D: Dave Manson

D: Franz Musil

LW: Pat Verbeek

C: Joe Nieuwendyk

RW: Christan Ruuttu

Yes, I choked with THAT line up!

Meh, your basics are probably better than what most people have. I certainly have no f**king clue about lines other than, 'this guy is sucking, let's put another guy in'.

I think the formats on all teams are okay, so don't fix what's not broken. If you want to add some new discoveries, though, I'm all for it.

Did I mention I want to see a new team anytime soon? :huh:

pretty much. rarity of slapshot goals have to be accounted for, too, I suspect.

I have noticed from experience when you dive with the goalie, it's better to have some momentum so that you can stop an opposing skater quicker and deflect the puck away. Some anticipation is required and it's also possible to block one-timers if you're really skilled with it.

Also, in the Genesis version you can dive out of the crease and the safety area to either stop the skater sooner or reach the puck first. On the SNES version, you stay stuck in the crease and that's it. :unsure:

I request the Calgary Flames, Quebec Nordiques and Washington Capitals. B)

till I took you out with Pens, and you complained they blew.

lol :P

Eh, that was more just a day of Bradley not potting his chances, not so much a commentary on the team overall. Pittsburgh is actually a pretty ideal matchup for Tampa, especially if tampa closes off Lemieux in the slot.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi AJ,

Absolutely love ur stuff. Have an idea here, which, I don't know, hopefully you'll like.

A bit like those websites that do those online knockout tournaments, where people vote for their favourite & the winner progresses to the next round. Know what I mean?

Basically I think it would be great if you could write a piece each month or whatever analysing a specific matchup - i.e. New York Islanders vs Edmonton or whatever.

You could act as coach of both teams & state who you're going to play where, and how the 1vs1s are going to match up across the ice.

Based on your analysis you could then decide who you think wins that particular match up. What do you think?

Basically i've got Calgary in the Classic league, and my prefered attacking 3 are Fluery, Roberts, Riechel as I think Roberts is the best finisher & one-timer down the centre, and having Fluery & Riechel coming off the wings releasing their slapshots is what they're best suited to. Fluery's speed is also best suited to getting behind the defence and then laying a pass back for Robert's one-timer.

However, over the course of the season i've come to realise that against the likes of Chicago, Montreal & Detroit, whilst he doesn't do a bad job, Roberts struggles to help keep the likes of Roenick, Ciccarelli & Yzerman quiet on defence. Therefore, against a good player i've got to put Fluery down the centre to stand any chance of limiting those player's effectiveness. This changes my style of play completely because now i've got Roberts on the right & Makarov on the left, but i've lost the real poaching goal threat down the middle. Now i'm more of a counter-attacking side, trying to get an early pass into Fluery so he can get beyond the defenders and go one-on-one.

Depending on the opposition my line-up, and therefore my style of play changes, so against different opponents i'm going to play a different line-up, which will effect the way the game goes and the result accordingly.

What do you think? "AJ does Vancouver vs Los Angeles", next week "Los Angeles vs Winnipeg". The combinations are endless, and it may be something that could really help people out, especially newbies. "In his article AJ suggested he'd play Svoboda on the left to deal with Sandstrom down their right. I think i'll try that" for example.

Works for me anyway!

Edited by LA Robbie

• 3 months later...

I don't know jack about SNES though aside from the real basics. Maybe I could get some outside contributions for SNES?

If there are no objections, I'd like to contribute some ideas/suggestions about building lines on the SNES version. I'm certainly not the best online player, but I've used every team at least a few times and pretty much always change the default lines strategically. I've also noted almost all of the line changes that my opponents like to make with each team and feel that this is a good indicator as to the kind of suggestions I could put up for SNES players.

Let me know what you guys think :)

• 1 year later...

If there are no objections, I'd like to contribute some ideas/suggestions about building lines on the SNES version. I'm certainly not the best online player, but I've used every team at least a few times and pretty much always change the default lines strategically. I've also noted almost all of the line changes that my opponents like to make with each team and feel that this is a good indicator as to the kind of suggestions I could put up for SNES players.

Let me know what you guys think smile.gif

giver bud!

Bro... you went 14-24-2 last season and didnt make the playoffs. Just saying :nothing_to_say:

Is there an actual rule that states that only winners are allowed to help in any way?

• 2 years later...

With the recent knowledge of the CB check -- check your opponent with C, then immediately press B to switch to another player. The CPU makes the check, nullifying the weight bug. -- most of these lineups and analysis need to be revisited. Particularly on the defense, where heavy d-men can be effective checkers with this method. They are not as big of a liability, especially if you primarily use your defensemen for defense.

On that same note, some of these lightweight subs are no longer surefire options to sub in or carry the puck. If you have a bugger out there (Kovalenko instead of Kamensky, Drake instead of Fedorov, LeBeau instead of Muller, etc), they can be CB checked down by just about everyone, particularly those 6-8 weight average d-men and F.

Opponent matchups become even more vital. If someone is coming at you with lightweight buggers, throw in a heavy guy to CB check them. If they are heavy, throw in a bugger, etc.

The best lineups for Classic (and likely GDL) are ones that have a mix of light/heavy to increase your defensive checking options (C or CB).

It's important to understand this, as if you are strictly going with weight, you may be hurting yourself.

(somewhere Plabax is doing cartwheels of joy) ;)

With the recent knowledge of the CB check -- check your opponent with C, then immediately press B to switch to another player. The CPU makes the check, nullifying the weight bug. -- most of these lineups and analysis need to be revisited. Particularly on the defense, where heavy d-men can be effective checkers with this method. They are not as big of a liability, especially if you primarily use your defensemen for defense.

On that same note, some of these lightweight subs are no longer surefire options to sub in or carry the puck. If you have a bugger out there (Kovalenko instead of Kamensky, Drake instead of Fedorov, LeBeau instead of Muller, etc), they can be CB checked down by just about everyone, particularly those 6-8 weight average d-men and F.

Opponent matchups become even more vital. If someone is coming at you with lightweight buggers, throw in a heavy guy to CB check them. If they are heavy, throw in a bugger, etc.

The best lineups for Classic (and likely GDL) are ones that have a mix of light/heavy to increase your defensive checking options (C or CB).

It's important to understand this, as if you are strictly going with weight, you may be hurting yourself.

(somewhere Plabax is doing cartwheels of joy) ;)

What's great about the CB check, as you mentioned is that you don't have to fear those super agile/lightweight/stickhandlers as much when they are used to carry it on the rush/coming at you. When you grow frustrated that C-check doesn't knock down Yzerman and B-check just makes Yzerman balance on 1 leg and still have the puck, you'll realize the need and importance of such a deadly manuever that is the CB check......You can crush someone like Yzerman with a heavy dude such as Zalapski.

As more people learn it, they'll also learn that they themselves will have to move the puck more frequently and faster (if their opponent uses CB check often). Nobody is a "safe bet" to carry it unscathed anymore. And you'll have to know the weights of your opponent's skaters (as well as your own guys).

But be mindful, because this play (CB) can backfire and have no effect in certain instances/matchups due to weights of both skaters involved in an attempt. Raph or Plab, care to elaborate why on this part of it for everyone?

Edited by Uncle Seth

But be mindful, because this play (CB) can backfire and have no effect in certain instances/matchups due to weights of both skaters involved in an attempt. Raph or Plab, care to elaborate why on this part of it for everyone?

It's just like any other check, but with weights reversed. With a regular C-check in classic, a light guy will consistently knock down someone heavier when the difference in weight between them is 2 or more. The bigger the difference, the greater the check success rate.

With CB, it's flipped, such that success will be when the heavier guy knocks down the lighter guy.

It's just like any other check, but with weights reversed. With a regular C-check in classic, a light guy will consistently knock down someone heavier when the difference in weight between them is 2 or more. The bigger the difference, the greater the check success rate.

With CB, it's flipped, such that success will be when the heavier guy knocks down the lighter guy.

does there still have to be a 2 or more weight difference, or can a 7 knock down a 6, 9 knock down an 8 etc?