NHL'94 Forums

Matt Cooke gets some justice

The Russian Rocket

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=359027

It's about time that rat got some serious suspension.

Jesus that guy is a douche.

Elbowing around and ducking.

He even goes out of his way to shove people after the whistle but won't fight.

And yet a few people will say that's probably not enough to show the NHL's commited enough if something similar happens again.

Definately worse than the Chara hit, and a much overall more dirty player. If Wags wasn't banned he would defend him somehow and this thread would turn into the Chara one with him and I going at it for an entire week.

What'd Heatley get, 2?

They really need to formalize the suspensions a bit, since it's so random. The Heatley elbow (taken on its own) was as bad, if not worse. He just doesn't have the history.

AND...

Cooke sure looked like he was trying to fight back... when he knew he was safe with two refs between them! (No idea what caused the "fight", though.. audio on this laptop doesn't work)

In my opinion, he'll change like he said. But beware (not literally) Pittsburgh fans, you might as well trade the guy now. Once you hit somebody, anybody, where it counts- in their wallet, is when people will change. The problem is now for Cooke, he won't be the same aggressive hockey player. He's not going to bring that intensity for Pittsburgh game in and game out like he has. Every player has a role out there, just because you don't score a lot doesn't mean you "suck" as many people post comments about players that I read. When you have guys like Crosby and Malkin you need a Cooke type of guy on your team who plays like Matt Cooke. The Blackhawks have John Scott, ever see his skating stride? Geeze! Not the best skater but he knows his role- and it ain't scoring goals.

Cooke will be second guessing himself from this point on, every shift, every play, every body check. And hockey is just too fast of a sport to do that. A guy like Matt Cooke has been playing that way since the beginning, way before the NHL. He didn't get where he's at by being a 50 goal scorer. And people are going to expect him to be the same after he tones it down? Yeah right IMO. I think he's going to have a tough time adjusting and I think his performance will suffer. But again, what do I know? I'm just a stroke who sits behind a computer and spouts off about the NHL without even making the show. Maybe if I played ice hockey as great as I play '94 I could comment.

Smozoma: Cooke got more because he's a ''recidivist''

I get that, but I think the Heatley elbow should have been worth more. It was completely pre-meditated, and a head-shot.

Comeback: I don't think it will destroy his ''Style'' he can still hit people, just get his elbow down.

Yeah, I guess we'll have to wait and see...... in the 2nd round! lol

is it a coincidence that Wags is back on Fuck Matt Cooke Day?

Edited by trudatman

I'm from Pittsburgh and a Pens fan and I even think Cooke deserved the suspension. That was a reckless elbow. He's a good hockey player and I like what he brings to the Pens but he plays like a jackass. He's gotta be smarter than that!

I thought it should've been harsher given his recent and past history. The rest of this year and re-visit after 20 games next season. He's gonna end up killing someone. And he's the perfect player to set an example of. Disgusting blatant disregard of rules.

Nhl is like the 94 forum, u will never get bann forever =D

Edited by Freydey

I think the mattcooke hit on savard and mike richards hit on booth are the cheapest hits of the past yr

both of these hits should have been immediate 15 game suspensions ...like cmon ,holy crap ..thats assault in a game

I think the mattcooke hit on savard and mike richards hit on booth are the cheapest hits of the past yr

oh and by the way ...EITHER of these hits were handed a suspension!!...LOL WOW ....WOW! Hate to go back in time a bit but ...WOW!

Edited by IceStorm70