NHL'94 Forums

Classic league admin stuff

halifax

Since there's so many people playing and I do love helping guys work things out, I think I need to take a step back.

Here's what I can help with from here on out.

1. Fixing incorrect logged scores (if they are not yet logged or confirmed I cannot fix them).

2. Helping waiting list players in the right direction to get started.

3. Answering questions about league rules, logging scores and general gamesmanship.

Here's what I recommend you post on the forums because most(if not all) of this stuff can be sorted out amongst yourselves.

1. You have a problem with someone not playing and feel they should be replaced.

2. You have a problem with another coach for not logging scores.

3. You have a problem with another coach not willing to play you.

4. You have a problem with another coach about whatever other reason.

Thanks.

I have a little beef about how this is being run. By beef I mean I actually just have a suggestion because believe me, I wouldn't be able to run this ship any better.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but according to the guidelines, you would have to miss 2 checkpoints to forfeit your team. That's about 2 weeks right? So, if a player plays 6 games ahead of time right out of the box, he technically made his 1st checkpoint and a part of the second checkpoint. Now, he would have to miss the rest of that checkpoint plus another to equal 2 checkpoints dragging this into 3 WEEKS! Theoretically, it's possible to not here a peep from a coach for 3 weeks. You don't don't if he's interested anymore, something happened, his computer broke or what. But now the rest of the league is stalled because of one or more coaches. Now, you find another coach to replace him, say a similar thing happens, this could go into a month or more! No, wonder you guys don't finish this stuff on time. I mean, I'm no regular here like the rest, but from what I have been reading, there seems to be a problem with people finishing there games.

We all have lives, things come up, but the longer things drag out, it's inevitable that it will be harder to finish the league.

I'm fine with the two checkpoints. But I think if a coach misses one checkpoint and you don't hear from him about it by the following day of the deadline he forfeits his team. Halifax or Chaos or whoever runs this league ain't your mom. For example, if a deadline is say March 28th and you don't make all your 5 games be then, if the league doesn't hear from you by March 29th acknowledging your tardiness- it's over. But if you do check in, you have another week extension. I don't think that too unreasonable. Maybe you guys already tried this? IDK. This would speed things up. Otherwise, we're left to ponder what's going on with certain players.

I'm not trying to single anybody out, it's not my point. I'm trying to improve this league with my opinions. I don't think 5 games is that difficult to play in a week. That's like 15 minutes a week.

It's 2011. There are computers everywhere. If you're computer is broke at home, I'm sure you can find another one to log in and post a message about your problem- giving everyone a heads up.

The league will have set checkpoints EVERY WEEK during the season. The checkpoints will depend on the number of games in the league.

Coaches who miss a checkpoint may be replaced by the Admins at ANY TIME.

Note: You can play any league game at any time, just as long as you have the specified number of games played before the specified checkpoint. Games may be played ahead of schedule and we encourage it!

The Admins will always have flexibility to make judgment calls. Coaches should contact Admins ahead of time about planned vacations, etc. when they know they will be away for some time. As long as these situations are brought to the Admins’ attention in advance, you will probably be able to work something out.

*** Replacement coaches will get an extra checkpoint's time to catch up to the required games within reason. ***

If you actually read the rules, your beef would have been cooked well done ;)

We have replaced coaches after only 1 week already this season. Some guys will let us know if something is up and when they will get it taken care of, which is fine and we don't normally kick them out unless it drags on. If I had the money, a private jet, and everyone's home address, I would knock on their doors every week and force them to play in front of me to make sure they play their games. Unfortunately, this is reality and we are relying on a bunch of people to abide by the checkpoints. Those who make somewhat of an effort after missing 1 checkpoint to make the second one (i.e. posting in the forums, playing games), we let them hang in for a little bit.

But, this is the problem with all leagues. We try to do our best in replacing the guys who make it worse.

If you actually read the rules, your beef would have been cooked well done ;)

I have read the rules, but you're right, I should've re read them. Aside from that, I still would've posted my reply since I feel maybe it can help and give you guys some ideas. But then this sentence is throwing me off still and I think contradicts the rules. This is what is stuck in my head:

"Those of you who have not played a confirmed game will remain on the Waiting List, but can be used as replacement coaches. Replacement coaches are needed when a current coach fails to make 2 checkpoints."

I found this from here:

http://nhl94online.com/index.php

Like I said, I was going off that sentence instead of re reading the rules. But now I understand, and thanks for clearing it up. Maybe that sentence should be revised?

To me, it's like when you go to Home Depot and purchase an item that they raised in price but left the older lower price still on display. The store has to give it to you for that lower price because that is what's advertised.

In this case, I don't know if a coach has a legitimate argument of losing his team after missing 1 checkpoint when that sentence is published. Hey, I'm just trying to help out here, maybe I caught it and nobody noticed it here?

I have read the rules, but you're right, I should've re read them. Aside from that, I still would've posted my reply since I feel maybe it can help and give you guys some ideas. But then this sentence is throwing me off still and I think contradicts the rules. This is what is stuck in my head:

"Those of you who have not played a confirmed game will remain on the Waiting List, but can be used as replacement coaches. Replacement coaches are needed when a current coach fails to make 2 checkpoints."

I found this from here:

http://nhl94online.com/index.php

Like I said, I was going off that sentence instead of re reading the rules. But now I understand, and thanks for clearing it up. Maybe that sentence should be revised?

To me, it's like when you go to Home Depot and purchase an item that they raised in price but left the older lower price still on display. The store has to give it to you for that lower price because that is what's advertised.

In this case, I don't know if a coach has a legitimate argument of losing his team after missing 1 checkpoint when that sentence is published. Hey, I'm just trying to help out here, maybe I caught it and nobody noticed it here?

That's my oopsie. Just pay attention to the rules page. I need to correct that.

That's my oopsie. Just pay attention to the rules page. I need to correct that.

Thanks Chaos and Halifax and whoever else responded. Couple other things I think might help for next years league are:

1) having the coach names be the same or similar or somehow linked to their NHL '94 profile. This would help in scheduling games by sending PM'S. Believe it or not, I've tried and couldn't find two people.

2) Along with that, can you also make coaches post their age, not their entire birthday just their age. This would help in identifying the Generation Y'ers (the entitlement generation). You know, the ones who lost people skills being surrounded by text messaging, aim, all this other technology crap that allows them to hide and distance themselves from people or their problems instead of being a man and facing it. The same guys who were never taught common courtesy or how to treat people without being called "DRAMATIC" as in my case for trying to get a hold of a guy like 9 times!

You know, the guys who can't write: "Hey bud SORRY, just logged onto aim and saw your message, I'm writing you back, i'll be avail ____" "hey bud, not today but maybe tomorrow"

"sorry man, gotta go, but hit me back sometime."

Thanks Chaos and Halifax and whoever else responded. Couple other things I think might help for next years league are:

1) having the coach names be the same or similar or somehow linked to their NHL '94 profile. This would help in scheduling games by sending PM'S. Believe it or not, I've tried and couldn't find two people.

2) Along with that, can you also make coaches post their age, not their entire birthday just their age. This would help in identifying the Generation Y'ers (the entitlement generation). You know, the ones who lost people skills being surrounded by text messaging, aim, all this other technology crap that allows them to hide and distance themselves from people or their problems instead of being a man and facing it. The same guys who were never taught common courtesy or how to treat people without being called "DRAMATIC" as in my case for trying to get a hold of a guy like 9 times!

You know, the guys who can't write: "Hey bud SORRY, just logged onto aim and saw your message, I'm writing you back, i'll be avail ____" "hey bud, not today but maybe tomorrow"

"sorry man, gotta go, but hit me back sometime."

1) I agree, maybe a "forum name" item can be added to the team/user page. For example, you wouldn't know maverick_z was 'mav' on the forum.

2) This is kind of contrary to what the Internet is about, to me. Online, you are whatever you write. There are guys on here I thought were all growed up due to their maturity, but later found out were ~15. Then there are other guys I thought were ~15 who were 30+. Your age, race, sex, stunning good looks, whatever, don't matter; it's how you present yourself.

(plus I think that's generation ZY (as in laZY), who came after X and Y :D)

1) I agree, maybe a "forum name" item can be added to the team/user page. For example, you wouldn't know maverick_z was 'mav' on the forum.

2) This is kind of contrary to what the Internet is about, to me. Online, you are whatever you write. There are guys on here I thought were all growed up due to their maturity, but later found out were ~15. Then there are other guys I thought were ~15 who were 30+. Your age, race, sex, stunning good looks, whatever, don't matter; it's how you present yourself.

(plus I think that's generation ZY (as in laZY), who came after X and Y :D)

nice touch :lol: btw i just made it shorter it was easier that way

Edited by mav

• 10 months later...

Hey,

Sorry i wasn't completely awake today, and I log a wrong order of draft teams in the classic Spring.

I entered the teams in this order:

1 2

3 4

5 6

7 8

9 10

Here is the right order of teams : 1 Detroit, 2 Chicago, 3 Buffalo, 4 Los Angeles, 5 Winnipeg, 6 St Louis, 7 Dallas, 8 Hartford, 9 NY Rangers, 10 Montreal.

Can you fix it please ?

Thanks

Edited by Dragon

Hey,

Sorry i wasn't completely awake today, and I log a wrong order of draft teams in the classic Spring.

I entered the teams in this order:

1 2

3 4

5 6

7 8

9 10

Here is the right order of teams : 1 Detroit, 2 Chicago, 3 Buffalo, 4 Los Angeles, 5 Winnipeg, 6 St Louis, 7 Dallas, 8 Hartford, 9 NY Rangers, 10 Montreal.

Can you fix it please ?

Thanks

I'll take care of this.

Is there a way to hide the top 5 team selections in the waiting list, until you've made your selections? It's an advantage to register later because you can assess your odds of getting a particular team by seeing what others have chosen. For example, if I want to have either CHI or DET, I can see that 5 people have listed CHI as their #1 choice, and 3 have DET, it's better to select DET first as I have a better chance at getting them. Or, do I want to guarantee myself DAL because nobody has them first, or go with a 25% DET shot, then DAL, etc, etc. Basically, having information that others don't is somewhat an advantage.

Is there a way to hide the top 5 team selections in the waiting list, until you've made your selections? It's an advantage to register later because you can assess your odds of getting a particular team by seeing what others have chosen. For example, if I want to have either CHI or DET, I can see that 5 people have listed CHI as their #1 choice, and 3 have DET, it's better to select DET first as I have a better chance at getting them. Or, do I want to guarantee myself DAL because nobody has them first, or go with a 25% DET shot, then DAL, etc, etc. Basically, having information that others don't is somewhat an advantage.

I also think there's a startegy to picking your team early...most people know that chicago, detroit are the most desired....but others may start off with those teams rated 70-73. I kinda like the mind game of knowing who to pick and when. Maybe by picking buffalo as my fist pick....others may shy away from it as their first choice. In the end, it shouldn't really matter since you'd be getting one of the top 12 teams in the game anyways. Since, we've already started, I think we'll leave as is for now.

• 2 weeks later...

remove my name from both leagues please

I'll do on monday...sorry to hear you wont be playing bud.

• 3 weeks later...

I found out that this isn't worth it - no one is ever on when I am and, when they are, there are issues beyond my control that don't allow us to play. I played plenty of test games, so I know my stuff works.

please remove me from this league. I didn't appreciate being replaced in the Fall after having played over half of my games, and now I can't even get one game in at all.

if you'd ever like to play, feel free to find me on AIM at dinoverse1

~ D

I didn't appreciate being replaced in the Fall after having played over half of my games

You didn't meet the checkpoints and had a prolonged period of not playing after not meeting the checkpoint. Makes no difference if you'd played half your games. There was no sign of you so you were replaced. I seem to remember sending you AIMs and emails too. What would you have liked me to have done? Thems the rules!

yea yea yea...lol

sorry that my wife gave birth to my son.

i guess i'll try again in the fall....

You didn't meet the checkpoints and had a prolonged period of not playing after not meeting the checkpoint. Makes no difference if you'd played half your games. There was no sign of you so you were replaced. I seem to remember sending you AIMs and emails too. What would you have liked me to have done? Thems the rules!

yea yea yea...lol

sorry that my wife gave birth to my son.

i guess i'll try again in the fall....

First of all, congratulations on the birth of your son! There's a few dads in this community (including Robbie and myself), so we understand what's its like. :)

The classic admins (Halifax/Chaos/Robbie) try their best to make the league run smoothly, which mainly means getting everyone to play their games against each other. Usually, it's not too difficult at the start of the season to get some games in as you can play anyone in your league, so I'm surprised it's been difficult for you to find opponents. We all have different schedules and timezones, but ultimately we can make it work. We have guys in France and Finland who complete their seasons!

The unfortunate part is that every season there are people who quit, disappear, etc. and need to be replaced. It's hard to determine, particularly in the C division, who has left. The best thing to do, as you have started to do, is be active on the forums and/or to the admins. If you're having trouble finding games just by logging on to AIM, I recommend posting your availability in the "schedule a game" section. It will help other players know when to catch you, and let the admins know that you're still playing.

Sorry for hijacking this post ( :D )...but the last thing I like to see is new players getting frustrated and quitting. This is a great, fun, and active community!

And if you can't get a league game, but want to just play some damn '94, feel free to AIM me for an exhibition game! AIM: kingraph (I'm usually on weekdays after 9 EST).

Good luck, hope to see you around.

Definitely appreciate all of the suggestions. I'm definitely going to have to bow out this time around, however. As I said, every game I actually did try to play was an unsuccessful one - although, I was able to play test games...so weird..

I'll try to be back in the fall

First of all, congratulations on the birth of your son! There's a few dads in this community (including Robbie and myself), so we understand what's its like. :)

The classic admins (Halifax/Chaos/Robbie) try their best to make the league run smoothly, which mainly means getting everyone to play their games against each other. Usually, it's not too difficult at the start of the season to get some games in as you can play anyone in your league, so I'm surprised it's been difficult for you to find opponents. We all have different schedules and timezones, but ultimately we can make it work. We have guys in France and Finland who complete their seasons!

The unfortunate part is that every season there are people who quit, disappear, etc. and need to be replaced. It's hard to determine, particularly in the C division, who has left. The best thing to do, as you have started to do, is be active on the forums and/or to the admins. If you're having trouble finding games just by logging on to AIM, I recommend posting your availability in the "schedule a game" section. It will help other players know when to catch you, and let the admins know that you're still playing.

Sorry for hijacking this post ( :D )...but the last thing I like to see is new players getting frustrated and quitting. This is a great, fun, and active community!

And if you can't get a league game, but want to just play some damn '94, feel free to AIM me for an exhibition game! AIM: kingraph (I'm usually on weekdays after 9 EST).

Good luck, hope to see you around.

The next time something happens and you need to disappear for a little bit, you can let halifax or me know via email or PM and you won't be replaced. If you give us a reason for not being able to play, we understand and can work with it. If you don't tell us anything, we have no idea what happened and will follow the rules as far as replacing coaches.

Dino, if you are around this weekend I can help you out and see why your connection isn't working. Or else if someone else want to play an exhi with him to check his connection, that would be great.

It might be something with your setup, it might not. Can you tell us a little about your setup? (wireless/wired, router, are you on a home network, etc.)