NHL'94 Forums

Player Ratings Spreadsheet

Mike GB

Hey! I'm new. Really appreciate everything on the site, it's great. I have become addicted to editing NHL94 and have been experimenting with player ratings.

I have been analysing trends between original ratings in NHL 94 Rosters and real life player stats.

The aim was to create a spreadsheet that could give NHL94 Ratings to any pro-Hockey player from around the world.

It's quite hard to explain what I've done but I'll give it a go (sorry if it sounds odd).

Firstly I selected a sample of 104 players (2 Forwards and 2 Defenseman from each NHL 94 team in the game). I then collected additional info for each player: height, actual weight, age in 1993, Goals, Assists, Penalty Minutes, Games Played (for the five previous seasons from 1988/89 to 1992/93), draft pick, international experience, seasons in NHL and seasons in NHL play-offs, plus seasons spent in other leagues around the world.

I then performed a series of correlative tests to determine how this information conformed with the ratings.

After a lot of tweaking I now have a spreadsheet that can predict a player's rating for each category to an exact accuracy of around 40% and to 85% to within one point.

What this now means is that by entering just a little information I can get ratings for any global players that are related to the ratings in the original game.

I have a couple of questions:

1. Being English I know very little about Ice Hockey (I just love the video game!), so don't know if any of the new ratings I come up with are accurate. Someone will have to help me with this, if they want to.

2. Is 40% accuracy close enough? 85% to within 1 point sounds really good but I do get some odd scores occasionally. I can continue to tweak the spreadsheet if people are interested in this.

I'll give an example of ratings obtained (as I said above, I have no idea if these are realistic or not!)

Sidney Crosby (2011)

OvR 101 Fgt 2/L

Agy 5 StH 6

Spd 5 ShA 5

OfA 6 End 6

DfA 4 Rgh 0

ShP 6 Pas 6

Chk 2 Agr 3

The aim really wasn't to rate players who are well known but to help with rating those who we know little about, especially international players.

If anyone is interested, please correspond and we can work together to improve it.

I have attached the Excel file if anyone wants to give it a go.

nhl_ratings.zip

sounds pretty amazing to me. I'll have to take a look at it.

6/5 shot power is too much, though. 5/5 is the strongest in the original game, 6/5 is just too overpowering (sure it's crosby, but still!)

although, with how much he dominated this season before his injury, maybe 6/5 would be in order..

The whole thing sailed well over my head!

Nice to see another English guy on here tho! Welcome. I too know jack about hockey, but was just in love with the game all those years ago!

Are there any more English members on here?

One thing I notice is that the ratings are very reliant on draft position and playoff experience. The first player I plugged in was Marc Savard (pretending it was 2 years ago, before the concussions), and his rating was terrible, 4/3 skating, 4 passing, 73 overall, for a consistent point-per-game player. Only making the playoffs twice really really hurt him.

Here is an idea.. what if you take out the players on the expansion teams? Those players were stuck on terrible teams that rarely made the playoffs, so they would bias the ratings in that way.

(i don't mean to sound critical.. i think this is really cool, and thanks for taking the time to do it and post it)

EDIT:

Maybe another way of looking at this problem is that, back then, most of the players played in the days of 21 teams, 76% of teams made the playoffs. These days, just over half make it, and you can be a good player stuck on a bad team, screwing up your rating according to this spreadsheet.

Olympics and so on also have a big influence on the ratings in this spreadsheet..

I tried removing all the olympics/playoffs/etc influence, but results weren't great.

Are there any more English members on here?

Not exactly, but my dad's English, and I'm headed to England in about a month for a cousin's wedding... I expect to come back with a wicked accent. Then I'll add voice commentary to the Blitz playoff videos and make them sound like soccerfootball games.

One thing I noticed before about ratings is that the Shooting Accuracy in the game is tied very closely to their Shooting Percentage in real life. The guys with 5-6 shooting accuracy in the game had ~20% shooting in the 92-93 season.

Hawerchuk's pathetic 3/1 shot is due to his 6% shooting.

(i prefer hockey-reference.com to hockeydb since it has more detail (it has non-NHL stats down in the "other standard" section))

very interesting. I'm still seeking help with three current teams, so if you want to help, DET, FLA, LA charted like that would be awesome.

http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/12795-hfboards-snes-2011-playoffs-rom-your-help-etc/page__pid__100863#entry100863

very interesting. I'm still seeking help with three current teams, so if you want to help, DET, FLA, LA charted like that would be awesome.

http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/12795-hfboards-snes-2011-playoffs-rom-your-help-etc/page__pid__100863#entry100863

you can download the spreadsheet and plug the player stats in (copy/pasting stats from hockeydb.com will make it faster, since you can select GP/G/A/PTS/PIM all at once and copy/paste)

another thing this spreadsheet could take into account is the goal levels for different years (there were like 30 100-point scorers in 92-93, but there will probably only be 1 this season)

also, players tend to weigh more now than before, about 8 pounds on average, I think was what i calculated before.

someone needs to make a website of weights from yearly hockey cards.. :P

This isn't really directly related, but do you or anyone else know how they calculated goalie stats? I'd love to make roms but have no idea how or where to find how many goals somebody gave up with a weak right glove hand, etc.

This isn't really directly related, but do you or anyone else know how they calculated goalie stats? I'd love to make roms but have no idea how or where to find how many goals somebody gave up with a weak right glove hand, etc.

No idea.. I think it was probably just opinion. During a season, you could probably watch game recaps every day and take some notes on how goals were scored on each goalie.

• 1 year later...