NHL'94 Forums

The 2nd greatest thing ever...(behind the 94 of course)

halifax

For the passed 5 years tecmo super bowl has hosted an event to determine the best tecmo superbowl player. This is not an online tournament. It is an actual live tournament.

I couldn't believe it when I saw how many players they had for their last tournament. 144 participants!

http://www.tecmomadison.com/

In light of this, perhaps it's time a world championship is organized for NHL94. A live tournament for both consoles. I know this has been brought up before. I've already chatted with Brett (addisonbr) who said he'd help out. Although we haven't selected a place or time specifically, we were thinking some where in the new york area. Addisonbr is from there, and so is Evan (if he wanted to help out).

Things we'd need from any participants (consoles, game, controllers, TVs).

What do you guys think?

Who could contribute some of those items?

Halifax: Got a Genesis, a cartridge and 4 controllers.

I guess i'd be more simple north of the border for customs.

Yeah going to the US is scary.. You want to search my laptop sir?.. can I read your diary and look at your family photo albums while you're doing that? Oh that? that's my sega.. NHL'94 is the bomb. WAIT THAT"S NOT WHAT I MEANT!

I have a Genesis (with NHL'94 cart), SNES (no cart.. just NHL'95), and 2 controllers each.

The key thing about that tournament is that the majority of people were relatively close being in the same state. There were only a few people that were in different states, let alone countries. I think this isn't a realistic possibility for the 94 community.

Every time I've seen this raised there's always a bunch of people willing to travel, so I don't think that's the issue. Usually people balk at being the host.

So I think it's a case of, if you build it, they will come.

Every time I've seen this raised there's always a bunch of people willing to travel, so I don't think that's the issue. Usually people balk at being the host.

So I think it's a case of, if you build it, they will come.

I agree.

Ill prolly goto anywhere on east coast near T.O. Can make a road trip out of it with others...but yeah it is def much tougher dealing with US customs, and ppl will need to get passports and all that crap.

A local sponsor would go along ways, maybe strike a deal with a local bar to advertise for them. I can contribute a SNES and 1.5 controllers lol.

Yeah going to the US is scary..

Man,and I thought going to Canada was bad. Coming home was bad too now that I think of it. They are just doing their jobs but some of them like the power trip.

hold it in vancouver,the west is the best,beautiful british columbia :)

I've heard it is, but I think it's just too far west, even for some Canadiens. I think we missed out on the opportunity of having it in Vancouver while the Olympics were here. That would've been cool and grabbed big time attention. During the Olympics, the media, tourists, and NHL '94. We missed out.

these guys have a hard time completeting a few games

you don't say........

New York I guess is a good choice. A lot of player from Pitts., close to Canada. Toronto and Chicago isn't too far. If it's in October that actually works for me. I've never been to N.Y. and this would give me a reason to go.

Thanks for the feedback fellas...Looks like we can have it about 6 different places :). I think the goal of it (for me anyways) is to create a fun weekend for the fellas.....play some competitive nhl94 and crown the 1st world champion.

Lots left to work out.

I highly recommend to anyone who does not have a passport to just get one, its good to have, and likely needed.

crossing the u.s border is NOT hard, I dont even need a passport.

they can scan my drivers licence and just go! anyone can have this.

crossing the u.s border is NOT hard, I dont even need a passport.

they can scan my drivers licence and just go! anyone can have this.

This only works (or is only supposed to work..) with an "Enhanced Driver's License (EDL)", which is available in British Columbia, Ontario, Quebec and Manitoba. It's $40 in Ontario.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/whti-ivho/edl-pcp-eng.html

I highly recommend to anyone who does not have a passport to just get one, its good to have, and likely needed.

I agree with you here. Plus, it does take some time to get it in the mail.

Not too many guys out west for me and hokkee to play '94 with. I guess we will just have to do our own thing in Vancouver because that is one hell of a place.

The rest of you stay away, more beer for me and hokkee! :D

Not too many guys out west for me and hokkee to play '94 with. I guess we will just have to do our own thing in Vancouver because that is one hell of a place.

The rest of you stay away, more beer for me and hokkee! :D

:lol:

I saw that Madison Tourney, may have to go next year since it is a drivable distance.

I have ran my fair share of console tourneys for NHL 95 (cue the guy that will chime in and say "95 sucks")and being totally inebriated half way through them.

My Tips are:

1. Have at least 1 extra controller per station. We just have a bag of extra controllers as some players are picky, plus you have the 6 button guys vs the 3 button guys for Gens.

2. If you buy extra controllers buy the old used ones. Those "new" sega controllers on Ebay are built to last about a day if they even work at all.

3. Have a pretty good ratio of game stations to people. Keeps people playing and shortens the tourney time considerable.

4. Cluster all the stations together. Playing people in a boiler room type atmosphere adds to the craziness of the tourney

5. Wallpaper the room in tag board to record stats the old fashion way. We have tried to enter it all in to a computer but somebody ends up deleting the whole thing.

6. Have a bunch of booze available.

if you win a period, you have a drink... then we'll end up with a lot of close games

It does! We don't have any set drinking rules, except you need to get sloppy. The Drinking endurance really comes into play near the end of the tourney. I was in the finals against a guy who I beat earlier in the night, but I am about 180 and this guy is 6-4 280. Needless to say he just mopped the floor with me in the finals.

Anyways I think it's great if you guys do a console tourney. I'd start checking Ebay, sometimes you can buy a lot of old systems and controllers for next to nothing.

I watched the tecmo bowl video. I'm pumped. I have two cartridges, one CD system with 1 CD, two genesis systems, and .........

the rare.......

4 way!

http://www.rfgeneration.com/PHP/gethwinfo.php?ID=U-040-H-00100-A

with a bunch of half decent controllers.

would guys play on the CD version? It definitely feels different.

I saw that Madison Tourney, may have to go next year since it is a drivable distance.

I have ran my fair share of console tourneys for NHL 95 (cue the guy that will chime in and say "95 sucks")and being totally inebriated half way through them.

My Tips are:

1. Have at least 1 extra controller per station. We just have a bag of extra controllers as some players are picky, plus you have the 6 button guys vs the 3 button guys for Gens.

2. If you buy extra controllers buy the old used ones. Those "new" sega controllers on Ebay are built to last about a day if they even work at all.

3. Have a pretty good ratio of game stations to people. Keeps people playing and shortens the tourney time considerable.

4. Cluster all the stations together. Playing people in a boiler room type atmosphere adds to the craziness of the tourney

5. Wallpaper the room in tag board to record stats the old fashion way. We have tried to enter it all in to a computer but somebody ends up deleting the whole thing.

6. Have a bunch of booze available.

Segathon, thanks bud. These are some great tips. You're the grand poobah of organized live NHL tournaments. I know that when I've run tournaments before, I've always used bristol board and hand written scores but was contemplating using a computer and projecting scores and stats on a screen. But from your advice I think I'll stick with what I know and has always worked for me.

The booze thing for sure. I assume everyone is at least 21? lol.

Yeah I would love to have a ton of stations set up. The preferred solution is to not have it go longer than a day. ie Start early on a saturday and go all day until we get er done.

Question about the six button controllers though(since im not a gens guy)...does that mean turbo for B? I don't know much about them. Do you allow guys to use turbo button controllers in your tournament?

ohh yaaa...21 if we are in the states. thats lame!

well you're over 21 bud..so its all good.