NHL'94 Forums

NO DIAL UP ALLOWED

Zalex

15 members have voted

1. 1. Should Iceguy be excluded from leagues until he upgrades from Mexicano Dial Up ?

• Yes
    • No
    • He should just play soccer games instead of 94

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

HABS

Posted Images

Dudes, I'm using wireless. And Zalex didn't even say anything during the games. Not even going for servers either!

Edited by RedWingDevil

Dudes, I'm using dial-up. And Zalex didn't even say anything during the games. Not even going for servers either!

If you are really using dial up and expecting to play league games you are dumber than I initially thought.

doublefacepalm.jpg

Dudes, I'm using dial-up. And Zalex didn't even say anything during the games. Not even going for servers either!

It's not fair or enjoyable for other members if you use dial up. Dial up may work sometimes but it can't work smoothly all the time.

From NHL94online.com:

03) A High-Speed Internet Connection (Very Important)

This is pretty much the main aspect of playing this game online. You will need a high-speed internet connection such as cable, DSL, or fiber optics.

ARE U SERIOUS :amazing::shocked: :shocked:

And you guys are even more stupid if you don't even say a single complain about it after pausing a game. Look, you could avoid this by saying it and so we can reach a compromise; but you don't do that, do you? No, you don't. You just steamroll ahead seemingly without a care and that gives me the impression that you can still play and you can go on without complaining. You got your voices, people! The next time you really want to say something about it before or during games, say it to my face! I'll stop the game and then we can determine a compromise on how to finish them.

And stereotyping people and things don't make you smarter. If anything, it makes you sadder and idiotic. But keep being classy crybabies and try to denounce it for all I care. I'm amazed you haven't said something similar to Carse or anyone else for that matter and not everyone's like you at all.

It's official, though: YOU GUYS SUCK

onlag sports; it's in the lag.

bandwidth is not the issue. the emulators were written back when everyone had dialup.

ping/latency is the issue. i'd say a ping up to about 140ms is ok (which is about what i get to west coasters..), maybe a bit higher.. certainly less than 200ms.

i didn't find rwd's ping to be outrageously bad -- it was just what i expected from someone living that far away.

redwing has the MOST games played in the history of 94.

dial up cant be that bad or everyone playing him is a noob for letting this go.

Thank you, Shaftman. At least someone is using logic and reasoning around here; it's really comforting that not everyone thinks that way like they have expressed it.

For the record, in SNES I rarely get this problem with nearly everyone. And they actually have the decency to speak and even test the damn games. I have a feeling Gens players are just not cracked up to be when it comes to that.

bandwidth is not the issue. the emulators were written back when everyone had dialup.

ping/latency is the issue. i'd say a ping up to about 140ms is ok.

Indeed, Smoz. But the sad thing here is that they can't seem to look beyond that. They're all carrying their pitchforks and can't wait to burn me at the stake. That's just bad.

Edited by RedWingDevil

And you guys are even more stupid if you don't even say a single complain about it after pausing a game. Look, you could avoid this by saying it and so we can reach a compromise; but you don't do that, do you? No, you don't. You just steamroll ahead seemingly without a care and that gives me the impression that you can still play and you can go on without complaining. You got your voices, people! The next time you really want to say something about it before or during games, say it to my face! I'll stop the game and then we can determine a compromise on how to finish them.

And stereotyping people and things don't make you smarter. If anything, it makes you sadder and idiotic. But keep being classy crybabies and try to denounce it for all I care. I'm amazed you haven't said something similar to Carse or anyone else for that matter and not everyone's like you at all.

I didnt pause game to complain about lag because what would be the point of doing it ? Even If I complain about lag, it wont make it go away.

Also its not the first time ive have this lagolas vs you, so why would I tell you to stop the game to finish it later? Lagolas would still be there if we played later on.

I made the poll to hear people opinions.

Edit : Yes even in GDL it was lagolas.

Edited by Zalex

But then what was the point of the poll, man? C'mon, be serious. We don't have such craptastic games all the time when we played in GDL, do we?

God, it just makes me want to make a list of all Genesis and SNES players I've played in this community if it makes you all happy and you need the evidence just so you can paint me as the troll. That is just what I needed.

I think that part of the problem might be the 11 line forum signature. If you shrunk that down I am sure it would help.

Some other guys have notoriously bad connections (Carse, Asstorm etc)

If we'd be to stop someone we'd have to stop everyone with an ass connection.

If you play server I believe it only makes the other guy skip frames if he lags (You don't assume the other guy's connection).

I just refuse to p2p certain players.

Edited by The Russian Rocket

I have had issues playing RWD since I started playing leagues. I've talked to him about it a million times and have expressed to him how much I hate playing him due to our horsesh*t connection. It's really annoying.

Do you use 56k or ISDN ? I think that is the important question. ISDN is somewhere between 56k and ADSL. I would be surprised if you used 56k, because you live farthest away from me, and still the latency is only about 220 ms.

I have experience from all types of connections with NHL94. I started with 56k in the first league we had in 2001, and I barely made the playoffs. in 2001 there wasn't p2p mode, so all games had to be played in servers. With 56k I usually got about 170-200 ms to the swedish server (which equals 360-400 ms in p2p). I got ISDN to the playoffs and it made all the difference. I felt like a cow on a summer pasture (Finnish phrase). Latency dropped to 99 ms (200 ms p2p). I reached the finals with ISDN which I feel I couldn't have done with 56k. The southern Finland's opponents already had ADSL connection (I quess it became more common there before because of the big cities). Their latency to the server was around 20-40 ms. Now playing with ADSL and in p2p mode it feels almost like offline game to play against other Finns, and about the same that it was with ISDN against North Americans.

ahhh fack that explains why our game was like a strobe light but he pulled out the 3-2 win in gens classic ,I just played it out to get it over with but holy fack man ,you cant play lg games with that s**t.REPLACE HIM!!!

f**k this ive played some finals vs carse with 12fps and hes still in the leagues

f**k this ive played some finals vs carse with 12fps and hes still in the leagues

I think carses connection is like that on purpose to get an upperhand in series and games hehe ,I would bet he has someone else in room during playoffs to lag it out at certain times.His connection is fine then it spikes hard,especially when im about to score haha

redwing has the MOST games played in the history of 94.

dial up cant be that bad or everyone playing him is a noob for letting this go.

Since coming back, RWD was one of a few guys who bothered to play a noob. I had a lot of catching up to do on these boards and decided to look him up and also saw he's been around for a bit now and has played a lot of games. I'm not taking sides here. I'm just surprised this is coming up now. I thought for sure you guys already talked about this. Yes, I too experienced lag. And because I couldn't find anything to read about his connection issue, I just kept my mouth shut. I thought maybe it was me.

i didn't find rwd's ping to be outrageously bad -- it was just what i expected from someone living that far away.

That's kinda what I thought too. Although at times it got bad, I just fought through it. I'm thinking this whole time, I have no room to talk since nobody else is saying anything about it.

445713_main.jpg

Is this THE JESUS or HayZues?

I just refuse to p2p certain players.

I'm curious why is that? Is P2P not safe?

I felt like a cow on a summer pasture (Finnish phrase).

Southern phrase: You're (I'm) in tall cotton!

I'm curious why is that? Is P2P not safe?

He was saying that when playing on a server, the person with the worse connection will experience worse lag, whereas in p2p, both experience the bad lag. (although on p2p you don't get the inherent server lag, if both of your connections are good)

This could be true when playing people with bad connections.. I never made the connection(er.. correlation?) before, though.

I usually insist on p2p since I find the inherent server lag pretty bad, but the next time I'm playing p2p and the connection is brutal, I'll try checking if server makes the experience better...

I find it baffling that people play onlag. I'm not a controller thrower, but y'all must get pissed. I really think this community should focus more on having people meet for real games, where you all experience the same outcomes. I think we should also focus more on hacking, like ROM mapping and the likes. all of this "I hate so-and-so" stuff is fine for pretty much any forum, so there will always be that, but, aside from that and "leagues," this community doesn't have much to focus on, in my view.

I find it baffling that people play onlag. I'm not a controller thrower, but y'all must get pissed. I really think this community should focus more on having people meet for real games, where you all experience the same outcomes. I think we should also focus more on hacking, like ROM mapping and the likes. all of this "I hate so-and-so" stuff is fine for pretty much any forum, so there will always be that, but, aside from that and "leagues," this community doesn't have much to focus on, in my view.

I find it baffling that people wouldn't play online!

I really don't have a lot of interest in taking trips to MTL or TOR or elsewhere to play people from the interwebs*. Online leagues are much more interesting to me. You play people across the continent (and even on other continents) to see who the best is, and learn loads of new skills. When I hear someone plays against the CPU, I'm kind of like :blink:

Without the leagues on here, I never would have done any hacking. One of these days I'll finish my 30-team SNES NHL'94 ROM, too... (the graphics have been a pain to figure out so far).

*if there's a big enough event, I'd go, but I wouldn't go to see 5 netdudes and have some beers.

Wait, I'm more interested in iceguys computer setup. Do you still have to log in to AOL to access the Internet? How does the forum look in Netscape Navigator?

Iceguys PC: 486 25MHz 4MB RAM running Windows 3.11 for Workgroups and MS-DOS 5