NHL'94 Forums

setting up the playoffs

trudatman

can I do better than this? the editor isn't detailed... is there a way to set second-round match-ups? if not, should I shuffle the list to influence the likely outcomes?

playoffsz.png

Looks like you've got it right.

You can't set second round matchups because they depend on the winners of the first..

If you really want to play as say Boston, and then play PIT in the 2nd round, then make a PIT-vs-PIT matchup.

what? can you explain that last part? how do you indicate the second round? is it the second row?

Edited by trudatman

You can only set up the first round. The second round is created on the fly in the game -- it randomly picks a team to win and advance.

The other rows are for different starting matchups (in a normal ROM, this is so every playoffs isn't the same, it randomly picks a playoff set that has the team you select).

Basically for your purpose, set every row the same except for the last couple due to:

Special note: you need every team in the ROM to appear in at least one playoff matchup, otherwise the ROM will freeze if you select that team in the menu (because it will look for a matchup with that team, but if there isnt' one.. it just keeps looking :))

so, would it use the first eight by default if those teams are selected but draw from the pool of options if others are used? could I set the eight and then all of the rest the first seeds against each other team? do you know what I mean? and do the rows mean anything to the game or should I be putting the extra one immediately after the first eight? thanks for your help! please answer each of these questions.

A) so, would it use the first eight by default if those teams are selected but draw from the pool of options if others are used? B ) could I set the eight and then all of the rest the first seeds against each other team? C) do you know what I mean? D) and do the rows mean anything to the game or should I be putting the extra one immediately after the first eight? thanks for your help! please answer each of these questions.

A) no, it randomly picks a row to use. it just looks for the rows that have the team you selected, and picks one of those rows.

B )

C) no

D) you need to fill all the rows. it doesn't matter what order you put the rows in.

so, is there any way to prevent it from loading a team that didn't make it unless you select them? I assume there is not and I think I'll just have the game crash when you try to load a non-playoff team. seems about right, really. so I could just leave it as it is, but I should repeat the row until they are filled, right? thank you for your help with this (and nearly every other thing I can come up with). your presence on this board is invaluable.

oh, it looks like there are enough rows to repeat with the eighth seed replaced with each other team, but there'd be no way to prevent it from loading those unless the player chooses the non-playoff team, correct?

make all the rows, except the last 2, the seeds you want to play.

the last 2 rows, fill them only with non-playoff teams.

that way whenever you pick a playoff-bound team, you will always get the same matchups, and it'll never have a non-playoff team.

ah, so a losers' bracket. hmm. thanks for your help. still not sure what I'll do.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to be so late in this, smoz has it right.

You don't need to fill every row, either. You just need to have the game find a row for the team you select.

The best way is possibly to make every row the same with the actual playoffs. Then, edit each individual row, replacing the 8 seed with a team which didn't make the playoffs.

So you'd have:

CHI-VAN SJS-LAK DET-PHX ANA-NSH WSH-NYR PHI-BUF BOS-MTL TB-PIT

STL-VAN SJS-LAK DET-PHX ANA-NSH WSH-NYR PHI-BUF BOS-MTL TB-PIT

DAL-VAN SJS-LAK DET-PHX ANA-NSH WSH-NYR PHI-BUF BOS-MTL TB-PIT

CGY-VAN SJS-LAK DET-PHX ANA-NSH WSH-NYR PHI-BUF BOS-MTL TB-PIT

CHI-VAN SJS-LAK DET-PHX ANA-NSH WSH-NYI PHI-BUF BOS-MTL TB-PIT

CHI-VAN SJS-LAK DET-PHX ANA-NSH WSH-FLA PHI-BUF BOS-MTL TB-PIT

CHI-VAN SJS-LAK DET-PHX ANA-NSH WSH-WPG PHI-BUF BOS-MTL TB-PIT :)

well, seeding doesn't really work in this, as you need to know the second-round matchups before setting it in stone. the bottom (or right) team in the structure will always be the home team. I even had to swap the East and West on the structure, as I had the West on the left and Vancouver was at home for the first game of the finals. I went with one row. teams that didn't make it crash the game, which is not a big deal from the menu screen through a reboot and back is about fifteen seconds of wasted time.

yep. but they didn't make it! can't be having that.