NHL'94 Forums

SNES 2011 Playoffs ROM

trudatman

tonight's game:

....BOS R4G6: BF950XK9N5KJCT0L....VAN R4G6: BGFDB47S9TN573XL....

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the final game:

....BOS R4G7: BG0RLJKT2XD21T0N....VAN R4G7: BG3YYS69PJJRX3XN....

if I add Tanev, who do I cut, Hamhuis? is Tambellini hurt or do they really think Glass is a good choice? here's your chance to influence the final update, assuming I make one more -- got anything else I should address?

now that the season is over, I will likely start working on things like moving Atlanta into the Winnipeg slot and Phoenix into the abandoned spot. if there is anything you'd like to see implemented in the 2011-2012 regular season version or any expertise you feel you could offer, please let me know by responding here or through PM/email/etc.

dreams of how [you] would help this thing be awesome:

-providing serious pointer, et cetera help that allows for more space on each team and/or the addition of MIN and CBJ and/or use of the NHL shield where old center ice images are inappropriate

-making organ music alterations

-allowing for slowed recovery from fatigue

-doing any hacking of the file and calling it your own (all I'm really doing)

-replying with general suggestions and comments (anything)

Edited by trudatman

• 3 weeks later...

well, I've officially started the process of moving free agents around, so I am pretty sure there will be a 2011-2012 version or eight. I'm a bit surprised that nobody has responded in reference to the lack of on-ice icons. I can't be the only one, but I suspect there are not many who love it that way.

Can you please make the period lengths 5/10/20 ?

I'd like to use the rom, but me and my friends play 10 minute periods...

60's just sort of ridiculous, 20's also too long, and 5's too short.

Thanks, if you can :)

hmm... maybe. I suppose I could just tweak it and send you one like that, but I'll certainly consider period length changes in general. I agree that sixty is a bit ridiculous, but I quite like the options as they are (I never used the ten, but I don't use the sixty all that often, either). that one issue is keeping you from using the ROM? not the dealbreaker I expected.

Well I bought a game doctor (it allows you to play edited roms on the super nintendo) so me and my buddies could play an edited rom with updated rosters.

We play all the time, but got tired of the old rosters, since we've been doing that for like 6 years.

So I like your rom, but we like to play 10 minute periods with offsides on...

And I'd also like to edit the rosters :P.

so, I'm considering making y'all a 7:23, 10:00, 20:00 version and although I really don't want to edit many player statistics, I'd certainly love any input you want to give on individual players. if you are finding the Canucks to be too good against the rest of the league, I suggest using the Bruins as the opposing team. oh, and SNES Editor is your friend. the SNES Checksum Fix tool may be required, too. the next regular update of this thing may include adjusted stats considering playoff performances, but that likely wouldn't get released until the start of the next season. I don't expect that your friends will like the lack of on-ice icons (stars and numbers and arrows). they'll get used to it. more comments would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

that extended brawling period after major penalties.... it's kind of like fighting. "....so I've got that going for me, which is nice"

I think someone should give this ROM some good use. A new SNES league, perhaps?

although I do believe it is functional enough, I doubt that it would work for a league, as I figure many folks would actively dislike it (for several reasons). is there anything in particular that you don't like about it? it is tough to elicit feedback, so I am asking you directly to offer a critique, if you wouldn't mind.

I need to test it first. But if there are so many things done nicely with the ROM, I don't see why it can't be used.

"so many things?" like what? I really could use the feedback. I really have had extremely little in the way of feedback for nearly every game I have ever worked on and this one is no exception. I have my guesses about what the average randy thinks of it, but I'm pretty much the only person posting in this thread and I don't get emails nor blog post comments nor PMs with questions.... if people would take the extra minute or three to drop me an insult, I'd have a better idea of what they would want in their gaming experiences. I have generally been my own target audience (and beta tester), but with most of my own quirky desires for the game of Ninety Flow now fruitfully realized, I find myself ready to cater to other interests, at least partially. even though I'd love to read "I hate the water bottles on the nets because they are distracting but I love the child in the crowd because of the way he appears and disappears like a spastic kid; I want to work with you on a project that...." I'd be receptive to (and appreciative of) the simple response of "no starz is teh verry sux."

I don't know the full extent to what you've edited but me and my group of friends just want the game as it is with updated teams and rosters. Having Ron Barr say he's stoned out of his mind and players "die" aren't good edits. The water bottle seems like a nice little addition but the lack of on ice indicators is a pain. Smaller puck? Why? The gameplay is fine. What other edits are there? And the rosters are ridiculous. Why is everyone on the Canucks 100? I'm from Vancouver and I even think it's retarded.

"everyone?" ha! the Sedins and Kesler and a few other guys are 99/100-rated, but the rest of the team is significantly less awesome. based on their postseason actions, the Sedins, at least, will likely be downgraded before the next release (next season). the smaller puck and removed icons are to make the game prettier. the other stuff I did because I could and because it pleases me. I'm sorry that this is not what you want. I am willing to help you make the ROM you seek, so you and your buddies can rock it out, but to alter this one back would be too much work. let's just leave it at this is not the ROM you are looking for. I do hope that another of the SNES ROMs will suit your wants and needs.

Yeah just looking for an updated rom with updated teams, colours, players + ratings, and lines.

Maybe 5 , 7 and 10 minute periods.

That's pretty much it.

The water bottle's a cool feature becuase it doesn't effect the game...

I have my own ideas for ratings, sedins should be mid to high 90's no doubt.

Kess should be mid to high 80's in my opinion.

Then at worst players should be high 50's low 60's.

My scaling would be a top first line would be low to mid 90's, with the exceptions of ovechkin, and crosby being 100's.

Sedins being close to 100.

A lousier first line would be mid to high 80's.

A typical second line would be between high 70's and low 80's. (depending on the players of course)

a typical third line would be high 60's to low 70's (Again depending on the players)

reserves would be high 50's to low 60's

Defense would be similar.

Obviously kesler isn't a typical second line player, probably one of the best second liners in the league, the same goes with Malkin.

And there's a handful of really awful second liners as well.

So little things should be taken into consideration with that.

Best goalies should be mid 90's, with Thomas and Rask being 100.

And at worst a starting goalie should be high 70's, low 80's.

Backups between 60-80 based on the goalie.

Like Schneider's going to be a great starter soon, so he's an exception.

based on what you have there, I don't think this thing strays too far from what ratings you'd like, but there will always be disagreements on that stuff. the original didn't get it right and without a killer formula, few will. I think the real issues lie in the "because I can" changes, like the deaths, major penalties and Ron Barr ramble. I very much appreciate you responses here and in chat, for you help me understand what people want in their hacks; thanks. if only others would chime in with gripes or raves....

oh, man... probably not, but here goes... aside from the stuff listed in the first post, I:

-moved the word assist over

-took the exclamation out of the goal announcement

-shrunk and greyed the overlay box edges

-turned the crowd level into television viewership

-changed the opening text and added struggling skaters to the introduction marquee

-revamped Ron Barr's spiel

-lowered the cases of most words

-reworded the descriptions of many options

-changed the lengths of periods

-probably more, but that's all I have in my mind, for now

I knew I'd miss some. instead of green men, there seems to be a roving band of Ference fans that take hold at the home end of every arena. there's a Zamboni, which is slightly better than a non-Zamboni ice machine vehicle. basically, if I could see it in English with the hex editor or identify it in totality with the tile editor, I changed it (as long as it made sense to). can anybody tell me what the midget/child was before I redrew it?

oh, hi. I'm editing this post for ease of reading, so my question isn't between yours and the answer. see below.

Edited by trudatman

and yes, TileEditorPro is what I use to edit graphics (through the PC emulator called DarWine, on my Mac). I don't find it too hard, now that I know to use the +/- keys (next to the delete key) to line the tiles up before trying to edit them -- if they aren't centered on the individual tile in the editor, you can really screw the whole game file up, big time. as for finding it to download it, did you try Google or the links/editing sections of this site?

http://nhl94.com/html/multimedia/downloads.php Edited by trudatman

hmmm... figured this post would've started a new page. seems like every other thread gets a new page after 30/60/90/et cetera posts.

ah, it seems that posts 35, 38, 46, 49, 52 have been lost to the ether. I wonder what their content was. double posts? "inappropriate" content? I surely don't know.

edit: did somebody actually renumber them?

Edited by trudatman

I'm trying out some new goal nets for next season's ROM. please tell me what you think of them, so far.

goaltop.png

goalbottom.png

Edited by trudatman

assuming you mean the view of the ROM within TileLayerPro, zoom in, scroll down and use + and - to align the stuff that appears. it won't be in the right colors, but some of the stuff should be fairly easily identifiable. the numbers, nets, player stars/arrows, benched players and a few other things should be fairly simple to find, albeit in different colors and broken up into somewhat scattered tiles, each of which may need to aligned separately. good luck.

if you can tell them apart, which is better?

goaltop.png

picture22o.png

and here's my update for the bottom one:

goalbottomnew.png

still seeking comments.