NHL'94 Forums

SNES 2011 Playoffs ROM

trudatman

the game file was updated on July 30th, 2011.

newtru11.png

this ROM features:

-accurate playoff rosters/lines/brackets

-a smaller puck in play and in the face-off window

-recolored goal iron and goaltender water bottles

-no player numbers/stars/arrows cluttering the ice

-fatalities

-five-minute major penalties for elbowing

-extended brawling periods after major penalties (fighting?!)

-a grin from the referee as he starts to drop the puck

-individual player statistic-based ratings for shot accuracy and reputation with the referees

-individual player ratings for agility, speed, control provided by persons knowledgeable of each complete team

-individual player pass/shoot bias, awareness, passing ratings weighted to closer align overall ratings with +/- rankings, provide believable AI experiences

-so many more alterations that you'll likely never notice some of them

if you don't agree to every term that follows below, don't download a copy.

[1] - the copy you download is for your non-commercial personal use.

[2] - you will not use this file in any way for personal gains beyond entertainment nor will you profit financially from its use.

[3] - any possible adverse effects to your computer (and the systems networked with it) that may be the result of downloading and executing the file are your risks that are to be remedied at nobody's expense beyond your own.

here is an offsite link to use if you want a copy but would like to keep the download count low, or if you'd like to avoid the unzipping, or if you enjoy the process of verifying your humanity with a computer: http://www.filedropper.com/truplayoffs2011

here is a zip file of the most recent (7/30/11) update:

TruPlayoffs2011.zip

Edited by trudatman

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SedinPunch_Final.gif

I heard a rumor about it being in the game.

some things that aren't in the game are what I think encompass ethereal evidence of the essence of the elemental escape from regular SNES Ninety Flow -- the on-screen icons. I removed the player-indicating stars, arrows and numbers from the playing view to make the game prettier and more realistic, but it has added benefits that include a reliance on defense to transition that really highlights the importance of your defenders. however, for people that can't handle change and have played only regular '94, these modifications decrease the general ease of use, exponentially so as each additional human teammate is added. one-on-one games are harder to follow on both sides of the puck, as you may struggle to recognize which player you have and which opposing player is about to stab you in the neck. your opponent isn't always clear about which guy you've got, either. here are some things you can do to lessen your frustration with the lack of player-indicating arrows, numbers and stars:

-use defense control; you love it

-poke check or skate rhythmically to visually differentiate your skater

-stop being a baby and quickly unlearn what you accepted as normal over the last two decades

unless you are a gaming-with-a-keyboard master, you'll want to use a gamepad, or this game will be quite difficult to operate. here are the controls, based on the standard SNES controller:

control.jpg

L = left defenseman control

R = right defenseman control

u, l, r, d = up, left, right, down directional movement

X = goaltender control

Y = dive, stand up, flip toss, hook, hold, vogue

A = stack pads, skate, check, shoot, kill

B = pass, player selection, poke check, steal, trip

s = line change

S = start, menu

please note that the images in this thread may not show evidence of all of the mentioned features, as they are pictures from varied incarnations of this thing and some of the changes came more recently.

now that the season is over, I have done some things like moving Atlanta into the Winnipeg slot and Phoenix into the abandoned spot. I have started moving players around, but I have not yet adjusted player ratings based on 2011 playoffs statistics. if there is anything you'd like to see implemented in or changed for the 2011-2012 regular season version or any expertise you feel you could offer (maybe you could implement the use of generic handedness-based player cards or make graphical changes or hack the player physics and limitations or....), please let me know by responding here or through PM/email/etc.

use the following codes to skip to specific points in the 2011 postseason.

[TEAM] [ROUND/GAME]: [CONTINUATION CODE]

-BOS R2G1: BBJ2NPJC71GG02SJ

-BOS R3G1: BBP634RDXS18B2SK

-BOS R4G1: BBXD2RRMW6MMBPM8

-BOS R4G2: BCKZNCPH7CPW7RSN

-BOS R4G3: BC8H70NDKJS44SW2

-BOS R4G4: BDY2VMMXY8MPTSW4

-BOS R4G5: BFMMD8MFB0G8GSW6

-BOS R4G6: BF950XK9N5KJCT0L

-BOS R4G7: BG0RLJKT2XD21T0N

-VAN R2G1: BBM80Y5WWNK4XCNJ

-VAN R3G1: BBVFGDCXJD5X7CNK

-VAN R4G1: BB0MD0C4HVR860J8

-VAN R4G2: BCN50MB0V0VJ31NN

-VAN R4G3: BDCRK79W55XT02S2

-VAN R4G4: BD185W9DKXSCN2S4

-VAN R4G5: BFRVSH8XZMLYB2S6

-VAN R4G6: BGFDB47S9TN573XL

-VAN R4G7: BG3YYS69PJJRX3XN

Playoffs2011 is available for the purpose of preservation and archival reproduction and is protected under ruling 1201 of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, 11/27/06. the administratively created anti-circumvention exemption amendment is applicable to this file as stated in the Digital Millennium Copyright Act H.R. 2281: "computer programs and video games distributed in formats that have become obsolete and that require the original media or hardware as a condition of access, when circumvention is accomplished for the purpose of preservation or archival reproduction of published digital works by a library or archive. a format shall be considered obsolete if the machine or system necessary to render perceptible a work stored in that format is no longer manufactured or is no longer reasonably available in the commercial marketplace." the hardware required to operate Playoffs2011 and its technology have been obsolete and commercially unavailable for well over a decade. the cessation of development and production of said obsolete hardware indisputably aligns Playoffs2011 with the anti-circumvention exemption amendment.

Edited by trudatman

deadplekanec.png

playoffs4.png

picture42z.png

Edited by trudatman

the link has been updated. there was a typo - Beauchemin. if anybody sees anything else, please let me know. I'm not scared to make more updates with your help.

Tru, I've played a few games with it and it looks to be a solid hack! I like the 60 minute period option. I'm gonna have to con my brother into trying a 180 minute game with me this weekend, lol

cool, thanks. I've been playing quite a bit of it, with most of the different options, but I've yet to try a full playoff tournament with twenty-minute periods.... maybe I'll skip right to sixties. that'll take all day, at least.

oh, and yesterday I had a two-minute penalty called after a death. I forgot to check who got the short penalty, but I am fairly sure it was a MTL player and he killed a Bruins player. flipped, we all know it'd've been a major.

Edited by trudatman

the Bruins thank everybody who has been wrecking MTL with this hack.

anybody notice the fans in the front row along the bottom give it back to Ference?

....a prize to the first person to post a screenshot of Ryder making that glove save....

Hey, I'm having trouble playing this game. Does it only work on the higher quality SNES emulators as opposed to the standard one (GENS)? When I try loading it on that, nothing happens.

As for playing it on the higher emulator (ZSNES), is there a corresponding keypad function if one doesn't have a gamepad? I'm a bit lame in that I've been playing NHL 94 with keyboard controls.

Thank you very much for your time.

Hey, I'm having trouble playing this game. Does it only work on the higher quality SNES emulators as opposed to the standard one (GENS)? When I try loading it on that, nothing happens.

As for playing it on the higher emulator (ZSNES), is there a corresponding keypad function if one doesn't have a gamepad? I'm a bit lame in that I've been playing NHL 94 with keyboard controls.

Thank you very much for your time.

you might need to unzip the file. Right click, "Extract to..."

This is a Sega Genesis game. ZSNES won't play it, because it's a Super Nintendo emulator, not a Sega emulator (You can't put a playstation disc in an xbox and expect it to play)

edit: see below

Actually smoz, you got this backwards :P this is an SNES game, so it needs an SNES emulator...?

Oh damn, haha

Sorry

Yeah... it won't work in Gens because that is an emulator for a different system.. only ZSNES (or other SNES emulators), and you probably don't need to unzip it if you don't want.

Bonzai Bondra: As for the keyboard controls, check the menus. There might be an option called 'input' which is the keyboard/gamepad input mappings.

I use SNES9X and a gamepad/controller on a Mac 10.4.11. I can't imagine trying to play with a keyboard.

Edited by trudatman

thinking about rearranging the playoff brackets so the matchups hold and supplying continue codes for each advancing team. anything else I should be doing?

okay, well, I've rearranged the playoffs bracket (and I'm slowly working on codes for each team's second round), but before I update the link, is there anything else I should be doing?

the file was just updated (see the first post). if somebody could help me make the playoff overtime period length equal to twenty minutes, that'd be appreciated. holler!

I know I'm jumping the gun on this, so I may end up redoing it if the losing teams in the West end up winning, but here's another Bruins code, allowing you to skip games in the early rounds and jump right to the Lightning: BBTS366VLTS2NPPJ.

if you want to start at the second round or third round, use the codes that follow:

BOS - BBMMR1R08JN8P54V, BBTS366VLTS2NPPJ

TBL - BBLNVZF5WYY5R9GR, BBST64XZ661ZPT1F

VAN - BBHS4RKMP5RWWMGF, BBNYHX1F2FVNT404

SJS - BBKPYW5BHB62TDTM, BBRV92L4VL9WRYCB

[outdated]

Edited by trudatman

• 2 weeks later...

yes. there's a whole SNES editing section of this board that could teach you to do it. my ratings are heavily influenced by +/-. which ones bother you?

fixed a few things, including the seedings and another typo (Edler was "Elder").

Edited by trudatman

just learned that a backup goaltender that doesn't appear in the game can get a star of the game. Boucher just got third after (I assume) there was only one shot in the game. I assume you could have all goalies if there are zero shots and/or only a goalie scores. also, you can manipulate the "other scores" by exiting highlights when the wrong team is about to score (becomes a chance of the goal and/or game going either way) or if the score is already as you'd like it. oh, and you can pull the puck out of the back of the net as/after the game-ending horn sounds, after which the puck often has weird physics.

Edited by trudatman

van.gif

bosg.gif

Edited by trudatman

....you can pull the puck out of the back of the net as/after the game-ending horn sounds, after which the puck often has weird physics.

if you manage to do this with the guy who skates around with the cup (don't ask me how), he pockets the cup until you somehow convince him to get rid of the puck (don't ask me how). I love that I'm still discovering things about this game....

edit: I knew you could lose the cup by holding the puck, but I didn't know that the guy who gets the cup can then manage to get the puck out of the net. thought I'd clarify.

Edited by trudatman

• 2 weeks later...

changed a bunch of things. fixed some stuff. posted new codes and an update in the fist post. you should check it out.

another update. lots of graphical changes, some are stupid, some are awesome and some are bound to piss people off. I like them all. see the first post for a new link and the game six codes. if anybody would like to help me improve this thing, I'm willing to accept help/comments/criticism/suggestions/assistance/drugs....

noticed another error while playing today. I had Chipchura on the same line twice. I may have made it worse by taking him out of the center position and leaving him as a defenseman, but at least he isn't in two places at once anymore. I updated the download in the first post. I also deleted the old versions from that post. at some point this week, no matter what else I find to change, I'm going to have to call it finished and start working on one for next season instead.