NHL'94 Forums

SECURITY ISSUES WITH NETPLAY/HAMACHI?

OK, Update: I found a file using a rootkit finder that produces new files - which wud explain why they kept coming back after the original infection. Also, I was playing direct through the modem as it was a better connection that through the router, but I thought maybe the modem doesn't have a firewall and that was the problem?

The modem does not have a firewall, but if your computer is running a firewall (Windows Firewall perhaps), that shouldn't be too bad of a risk. You also need to make sure you install Windows Updates regularly.

Well I always update regularly, but for the last month or so there's an important security update that just won't install. I've gone to the Microsoft webpage & tried to do it manually, attempting to install every different version available, but no luck. On automatic update it says it's installing and closes down, then when I reboot it's failed to do it.

Well I always update regularly, but for the last month or so there's an important security update that just won't install. I've gone to the Microsoft webpage & tried to do it manually, attempting to install every different version available, but no luck. On automatic update it says it's installing and closes down, then when I reboot it's failed to do it.

Are those the .NET Framework 2.0/3.5 updates? They don't work for me either.. damnit microsoft! :P

I doubt those are the problem, though.