NHL'94 Forums

Offside on or not...

xot82

Offside on or not  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What do you prefer?

maybe y'all are too stupid to grasp the concept and turn it off out of fear of the unknown. I play (SNES Ninety Flow) with offside on, manual line changing on (fatigue on), manual goaltender control on, push-button defenseman control on.... turning all of that stuff off is for the inexperienced and the intimidated. I would not be the least bit surprised to learn that most casual players and most Genesissies and most players onlag have all options off (even the goaltender control, for some). I hope my rant was on-topic.

I know what offsides is.. Just cuz I dont like to use it doesnt mean I cant comprehend it..

Its really simple. The game is more enjoyable without it. Makes the game longer, less whistles = more action.

With a game NHL 11 or any modern hockey game yes its very necessary to use offsides because its semi-realistic. NHL94 is far from realistic so why try to play by NHL rules? But i do play offsides on sometimes in 2v2 or if in playin an Olympic rom or someone suggests it I probably will play with them on. its all about fun and FLOW

Because even if you turn them on, computer will act like there's none.

Trudat: I challenge your ass to play anyday. Bet your game will look like kindergarden s**t. The fact you call it ''onlag'' is pretty much the proof you've never really tried on SNES/have a shitty connection.

I have tried to get guys to see that offsides on would be wayyy better BUT they cry like babies around here whaaa whaaa it takes too long cause of the stoppages,WELL if you retards knew that if you accept a pass offside or go ahead of other guy thats been waiting for the fn pass and read play you wouldnt go offside and the ref wouldnt blow the whistle.Plus it makes the game more challenging!Play it like real ice hockey ,not ball hockey rules,buncha fn babies!

Edited by hokkeefan

One unfortunate cheap play I can see with offsides on is.

Players (Like myself) hitting guys offside and getting no penalty. :lol:

Edited by JeffBC

Or hold them into place. That also works.

I would actually want to try offsides in a future league. Maybe I should talk to Swos sometime concerning those other leagues he's in...

....I challenge your ass to play anyday....you've never really tried on SNES/have a shitty connection.

agreed. I have a free wireless connection, so I can't imagine paying for the slightly better connection of my own line. you claim to be "at [my] house," so let's play! any day, indeed. I'm pretty good, even with all of the features of the game turned off for playing against those that can't get their brains to function (those that don't use manual line changing are missing out on fatigue, one of the best parts of the game; having your favorite player on the ice for the whole game zooming around like he just hit the crack pipe and hopped over the boards to a fresh sheet of ice... it's just lame). it seems to me that the players that get so mad that they throw controllers are the same ones that need fatigue and offsides off to play. want the goalies turned off, too? why don't we just pull the goaltenders, then? anyway, PM me when you get to 02760.

while i would love to play with offsides on, these players are clueless to what the blue line is lol.. so we usually leave it off!!

There's 2 problems with the offside:

The one Jeff mentionned above

AND

Since the one timer is not counted as possesion, you can set up one timers while being offside.

okay, so there are two problems with the offside, eh? the one Jeff mentioned is that you can knock players down to hold the attacking team at the line. that sounds like a solid strategy, to me. I don't see a problem, there. then there is the issue of onetimers not counting as possession... that's a little glitch/programming error that allows you to go offside, which is apparently what people want to do, so for those that don't like the option to be on, how is that a problem? it's not; it's a way they can still go offside. so, according to the poll, most people like the offside option to be on. does that mean everybody concedes to the less-experienced players that can't handle the simple rule? I have a buddy who throws a fit if I put any options on (excluding goaltending), so I get that it's easier to acquiesce, but surely not every player is a crybaby Wags/Fredey/Hokkeefan-type, so why not try more games with all options on?

• 2 months later...

My whole life, I've played offsides off, and it lead to so many break aways that it was just one nerve racking being the manual goalie, but now that me and my friends have begun a ranking system, we've made a group decision that offsides should ALWAYS BE ON. it makes for better game play and a more realistic game.

Manual Goalies, offsides on, manual line changes, 20 minute periods.

-Badge

• 5 months later...

My whole life, I've played offsides off, and it lead to so many break aways that it was just one nerve racking being the manual goalie, but now that me and my friends have begun a ranking system, we've made a group decision that offsides should ALWAYS BE ON. it makes for better game play and a more realistic game.

Manual Goalies, offsides on, manual line changes, 20 minute periods.

-Badge

holy s**t, you play 20 Min periods! thats just nuts, how many goals do you guys score in a game? and Genisis or SNES

to answer the question I don't care either way, no offsides makes for a more free-wheeling almost box lacrosse style action (and i'm a HUGE lax fan) so i appreciate that style. That said I also appreciate a more methodical game and wouldnt mind playing with offsides on.

in honor of this bump i have to say line changes suck & off-sides sucks

1) slows down game

a ) more face offs

b ) players are physically skating slower (sometimes geriatric slow)

2) player fatigue is completely frustrating and takes a away from some of the fun GA aspects of 94

a ) reduces chances of speed induced ram and jam goals and ridiculous checks

b ) dragging ass up ice with the puck while the defense gets to mash speed burst, sux.

c ) goalie never gets tired so he is constantly out running hes teammates when passing

3) two line pass*

a ) this is a rule in the later versions of nhl

b ) if there is no 2 line pass rule, why have an off-sides rule?

*During the 2004-05 lockout, the league removed the "two-line offside pass" rule, which required a stoppage in play if a pass originating from inside a team's defending zone was completed on the offensive side of the center line, unless the puck crossed the line before the player. The removal of the two-line offside was one of several rule changes intended to increase overall scoring, which had been in decline since the early 1990s.* -wikipedia

4) 5min periods

a ) there is no need for line changes and off-sides with 5min periods. really

b ) takes 5min just for 2 people to set up 7 lines each

quicker, funner, less strategy filled games are just better.

comparing the classic(gens) lg to the 2012(gens) lg, in the amount of time it takes to play 2 '12 games you can probably play 3 classic games after factoring in extra faces offs and line set ups

also, the one timer glitch and the checking/holding bs definitely adds to the negatives

Edited by JayLighter420

I agree with Jay. Offsides sucks. Slows the game down, and contributes to the computer's AI stupidity factor ruining offensive flow. I like line changes in '12, but I generally think it's more fun to play your best 5 players all game with no fatigue.

(Genesis version)

The first league I played in had offsides ON, and I just found it a hassle. It didn't add anything other than extra faceoffs usually caused by some guy off-screen on the other wing being a dumbass and getting into the zone 2 frames ahead of you, or when headmanning the puck but the CPU player doesn't have the sense to hold up and wait for the puck before crossing the line.

You only control one player on the ice, so you can't really cheat too badly to exploit the lack of offside calls. The only type of goal I would feel was cheap would be if the puck leaves the zone and everyone leaves the zone except a guy who was knocked down, then you recover the puck and pass it to him and onetime/redirect it in for an easy goal. Those are pretty rare, though. Maybe in SNES the AI players exploit the freedom excessively and in different ways, I don't know.

Also, if you leave the zone briefly and go back in, your other players still usually leave the zone, messing up your zone positioning, so actually you still have incentive to hold the zone.

It's not like I think offsides ON is horrible, I just don't think they add enough to make up for the time delays they add.

I also don't buzz the goalie when he has the puck, I give him the chance to pass it, to avoid a faceoff, even though getting a faceoff would be advantageous (50% chance to start with puck posession). Faceoffs suck!

(Genesis version)

The only type of goal I would feel was cheap would be if the puck leaves the zone and everyone leaves the zone except a guy who was knocked down, then you recover the puck and pass it to him and onetime/redirect it in for an easy goal. Those are pretty rare, though. Maybe in SNES the AI players exploit the freedom excessively and in different ways, I don't know.

you can still do this w offsides on, because 1 timers don't count as possession

you can still do this w offsides on, because 1 timers don't count as possession

Oh yeah, I forgot about that!

So the (in my opinion) only really cheap offside goal.. can't be protected against by turning offsides on...

new guy here. i need to brush up on my 94 skills. are the leagues played with offsides and penalties? or not?

thanks

Most leagues, at least that I have seen and been a part of, are played with offsides OFF. However, there is currently a 2012 league (modified ROM with 2012 teams/rosters -- http://www.galeague.somee.com/) that has offsides on.

Welcome, and hit me up on AIM if you see me online (green dot) for some exhibs.

Well, as I ran the 2011 league last summer I think I can make a comment here. I see one or 2 guys who played the 2011 league have also commented, but not too many.

We played offsides ON, line changes ON & 7 minute periods. My opinion - Awesome. Added so much to the game. Strategy of line changes & fatigue, including changing on the fly. For the most part the computer is not as unintelligent as people are making out, and there were not many pointless offsides. What it did add was a little bit of game awareness to spot the potential offside & react to it. I get the "Why should we have to do that?" argument, but I felt it added something extra to the game & I felt the 2011 league rom was as close to a "simulation" of real hockey as you could get on the 94 game engine.

That said: Line changes work with the 2011 & 2012 league because of the modified rom. The weight bug fix means the checking line is actually useful because the players can actually check & defend, whereas in GENS classic they're just your useless players. Also, in the 2011 & 12 roms the players are rated higher, so my ANA checking line in 2012 league is probably better than a lot of Sc1 lines in classic. I do feel that 2012 league with 5 minute periods has lost its need for all 3 lines though, & I often go a whole game without using the checking line, or maybe only once or twice.

Me, I like offsides on personally & don't see a major problem with it. Adds some decision making. I always played it that way as a kid though with my friends, so that is "classic" to me. Maybe that sways my decision?

I think the offensive AI is way worse in the SNES version for some reason.

Genesis actually has pretty good AI with regards to players staying onside.

I play 10 minute periods and only average 2 or 3 offside a game on Genesis NHL 94.

It's hard to say that one is better and one is worse. They are just different types of 94play.

But since I had to choose one, I decided to vote for offsides on for the following reasons:

They make it slightly more difficult to score, which to me equates to a slightly more challenging game. There's a time and a place for high scoring games, but I generally prefer a tighter challenging game between opponents on this site. The stuff that really gets your heart pounding. They also seem to act as a bit of an equalizer (although this might be because when I play people with offsides on, neither opponent is totally used to it so neither one can stand out as extremely dominant) I'm sure over time some players will play much better with offsides than others, and their general skills will standout over others, but ultimately it does become harder to score, and with lower scores there are closer games, etc. That being said, it's certainly not impossible to score, and although there are some annoying computer induced offsides, I welcome the added challenge of head-manning the puck as qucikly as possible out of your zone, and the added strategy that's required as you move up the ice. A little more thinking, again more challenging, I think it's what we should all be moving towards, rather than getting too used to one style of play. Sure the computer's mistakes can be frustrating, but that's part of the game with or without offsides. I'm thinking here of that idiot player who aimlessly skates into the goalie and draws a penalty, the terrible defence if you can't switch to them in time, and of course the many foolish ideas of the automatic goalie if you don't switch in time there either. I'm not too worried about the other cons mentioned here about offsides, such as the glitchy offside one-timer goal that can be scored. How about when a player gets an interference penalty but is still awarded a goal? Just gotta laugh at it and move on. Checking a player to keep the team offside? Sounds like good strategy to me. Anything that can be done in the game should be. This includes bopping the net off if you're desperate, and even the much loathed and "cheap" crease-cut-across goal. If the opportunity is there then I say go for it! And that's the end of my rant.

• 1 month later...

If a player is offside on the SNES, and a one timer is attempted with the player offside, it will be offside...

Not sure what shitty version of NHL 94 you play on...

Offside's should be on.

If you're awful at the game, and can't wrap your head around a player being held offside, then go offside and take a face-off. It isn't f**king hard.

The majority of you are probably b-grade players, so I can understand :D