NHL'94 Forums

2011 ROM LEAGUE USING CLOCKWISE'S 2011 PLAYOFF EDITION

LA Robbie

Hi Everybody,

I think we all know about Clockwise's 2011 rom. An absolute masterpiece without question, and THE definitive version of NHL '94.

Lots of people have stated an interest in playing a league using this ROM over this summer & I for one would love to see it happen, so the point of this thread is to gauge how many would sign up for it if it happened?

I was thinking it would be like this:

* 5 minute periods (perhaps 7 if people would prefer?)

* manual goalies

* Line changes on

* Offsides on

* Goalscorers recorded

* Assists recorded

* Penalties recorded (I'm presuming that, as in soccer if you accumulate a set number of penalties you serve a suspension? Sorry, i'm English & don't have an in-depth knowledge of the game like most on here).

Speaking to Probob the other day I said i'd be happy to organise it if I had to, and he expressed a willingness to help out too. Only thing i'd want everyone to be aware of if I did it though would be these few things:

1) I'm not overly computer savvy, so if I do it you'll just be getting stuff like results & tables emailed to you in word documents rather than a website you could go to in order to regularly check things.

2) I don't have a website or online program to imput scores etc, so that could be a chore both for me & you, 'cos u'd need to email me scores & stats etc.

Basically i'm not looking for any glory or recognition, so if you have experience of running an online league, would be willing to do it & have the stuff to do it better than me please let me know. My motivation is purely that I want to play this rom in an online league because it's so awesome & deserves the biggest platform it can get - i.e. an online league.

The other issues may be:

1) The playoff rom has a 60 OT clock, so either you stop playing and call a tie if it reaches 10:00 or you play until there's a winner & say there's no ties?

2) Can people play & test the ROM. In the few games i've played i've experienced speed up of my players at times during the games (basically they all scream around like they've got rockets up their arses) which made it at times impossible to control & play, although my opponent experienced nothing so maybe it's a personal connection issue I have? Only reason I say is that i've never had this problem using the classic rom. Basically the 2011 ROM needs thoroughly testing to make sure it's suitable for online play before we go ahead and start doesn't it?!

The rom is attached if you don't already have it.

So, if you're interested can you please post a reply stating:

* Your NHL94 username and AIM username (if different)

* Which GENS league you played classic in (To see how we would split a potential tournament)

* The level of commitment you think you would have to this league (i.e. "Let me know if it happens & i'll see" or "Count me in, I can't wait to start!")

Thanks guys. Hope there's the interest here & that we can give Clockwise's masterpiece the recognition it deserves! Thank you Clockwise. You are a legend!

LA Robbie/Gretzkyonacold

NHL 94 (Playoff Edition 2011).bin

Edited by LA Robbie

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this would happen.. two things come to my mind. It's a totally different game then what people are used to playing around here and

1) people won't sign up to play- hard enough as it is to get guys to play the version we are using now and

2) with offsides on and line changes- the game would take a long time to finish with 7 minute periods. I think if offsides are on, it definitely have to be 5 minute periods. But then again, with 7 minute periods you would get to see other players not normally out there at least twice a period instead of maybe one shift. My faceoff percentage already sucks ass enough and I think the faceoffs would double. We would have to test it with both times doing exhib's long enough to tell which one is better. Definitely not 10 minutes. Unless you're on the console or not playing on-line.

If this would happen.. two things come to my mind. It's a totally different game then what people are used to playing around here and

1) people won't sign up to play- hard enough as it is to get guys to play the version we are using now and

2) with offsides on and line changes- the game would take a long time to finish with 7 minute periods. I think if offsides are on, it definitely have to be 5 minute periods. But then again, with 7 minute periods you would get to see other players not normally out there at least twice a period instead of maybe one shift. My faceoff percentage already sucks ass enough and I think the faceoffs would double. We would have to test it with both times doing exhib's long enough to tell which one is better. Definitely not 10 minutes. Unless you're on the console or not playing on-line.

................So, is that a yes, no or a maybe? lol

I also think the guys that would sign up to a league with this ROM would be the hard-core, committed guys, not the casual guys that sign up for classic & then decide it's not worth the hassle.

We'll have to hook up for a few practice games Comeback & see wot we think to 7 minute periods. I'm happy enough with 5 but there is the thing about your Sc2 & Chk guys not getting much time. Then again the fatigue is more rapid on this rom, so maybe.

P.S. I don't care about ur crappy faceoff % so the number of faceoffs in a game don't concern me! lol :P

Edited by LA Robbie

For the stats, I recommend using an Excel spreadsheet.

And then you can copy/paste into a thread on the forum, using the "code" tag, like this:

Team	GP	W	L	Pts
TOR	10	8	2	16
MTL	9	6	3	12

Another idea is to use the online spreadsheets from Google Docs and make the files publicly viewable.

The other issues may be:

1) The playoff rom has a 60 OT clock, so either you stop playing and call a tie if it reaches 10:00 or you play until there's a winner & say there's no ties?

since it is '11, too bad someone can't hack a new rom version with 5 minute OT (4 on 4 also or would that be asking too much?). It's probably impossible to do. But even if you play 5 minutes of the 60 min 5 on 5 and there is no score. Close the rom and open a shootout. That would be closer to real life.

OR

You know what would be real cool? I just thought of this. You know he made a two on two version right? Since I've played Summit, it's real cool 2 on 2. If O.T., close the rom up, open the 2 on 2 version for one 5 minute period. If no score after that, do a shootout. But then you might have to close that 2 on 2 rom up again and re open the original '11 version to use shootout mode. A little work, but how often are there O.T.'s and then no one scoring in O.T.?

the more I think about this way the more I like it. You then are incorporating both of Clockwise's versions. Plus, in my regular season I think I had only 2 o.t. games and in both games someone scored. So I don't think it's that big of a p.i.a. I would have to look at everyone's season and count the o.t. games and the results.

If this '11 is going to be different then what everyone is used to, then let's make the o.t. different as well lol. what do you guys think?

Edited by Comeback_King

................So, is that a yes, no or a maybe? lol

I also think the guys that would sign up to a league with this ROM would be the hard-core, committed guys, not the casual guys that sign up for classic & then decide it's not worth the hassle.

We'll have to hook up for a few practice games Comeback & see wot we think to 7 minute periods. I'm happy enough with 5 but there is the thing about your Sc2 & Chk guys not getting much time. Then again the fatigue is more rapid on this rom, so maybe.

That is true about the signup.

I did forget about the rapid fatigue so now I'm leaning towards 7 min. that way you have a couple more chances with scoring line 1.

Edited by Comeback_King

yeah I just took a brief look at B2 regular season O.T.'s and yeah, there were a lot more than I thought. Average= 3-4 for 40 games. So the O.T. issue definitely needs to be addressed going forward what guys want. Some guys had 6 or 7 O.T.'s! Some had none or 1.

Edited by Comeback_King

I would sign up for this - as for the 60 minutes, in most other leagues the "playoff rom" will feature long a$$ overtimes just so we can have a definitive winner, and since now the NHL works as a "someone has to win everynight" kind of league with stupid OTL points I guess the longer over time helps give it the "no-tie" feel of the modern NHL. I CALL TAMPAGAY!

-ALSO - check out Metz's Capitalism League he used excel spreadsheats to create a table schedule/standings sheet for his league - I tried to do something like that in the 94/09 lg.

Edited by kupuck19

I guess we should just keep OT as it is, and if it fails do shootouts. Like the real NHL.

So what would that be, play the full 60:00 on the clock, or play 5:00 or 10:00 and if there's no score on to shootouts?

So what would that be, play the full 60:00 on the clock, or play 5:00 or 10:00 and if there's no score on to shootouts?

If two coaches have an hour to decided overtime for a 15 minute game - probability is someone will score - 20 min of OT = 4 OT periods...

this rom desyncs every single time i play it, no matter if both have exact same versions.

is it working for everybody else?

I've had no major desync probs. Just the speed issue.

Kupuck:

As for overtimes, my point is do you start the league with the rule that you play the 60:00 clock so someone always wins, or do you say "This league plays 5:00. If it reaches 5:00 it's a tie & we decide it with shootouts, or we share the points, or whatever"?

Edited by LA Robbie

But anyway,

All I really wanted to know is how many people would be interested in entering this league to start with. Rules & regs we can finalise once the league is actually confirmed. Let's not skip the first step - Do we have players interested?!!

I haven't been able to play this rom online either, because of desynchs...

Are you guys using the regular season ROM or the playoff ROM I posted here? I hadn't heard of any problems with the playoff ROM before

Are you guys using the regular season ROM or the playoff ROM I posted here? I hadn't heard of any problems with the playoff ROM before

both, i'm pretty sure. maybe just regular season. tried with VC not that long ago and i thought we used the playoff rom.

I actually like the 5 min OT and going into shootout mode idea, the hard part would be making sure everyone follows through on the rule but I'm sure guys would get the hang of it... And as for the desync crowd - every other league on this site has had to wait for drafts, trades, betaroms, etc. I'm sure someone's savvy enough to get a universal rom to work.

If everyone's okay with 7-minute periods, I could take a shot at it. Teams of choice:

1. Los Angeles

2. Chicago

3. San Jose

4. Nashville

5. Boston

With no uploading to worry about, desynchs aren't a big deal, so I say go ahead with 7-min periods

I'm in, Toronto, please? (if we're picking teams yet)

* Your NHL94 username and AIM username (if different)

* Which GENS league you played classic in (To see how we would split a potential tournament)

* The level of commitment you think you would have to this league (i.e. "Let me know if it happens & i'll see" or "Count me in, I can't wait to start!")

* smozoma/smozoma

* I was B2, but could pass as a bad A coach

* Wary of new leagues, but want to play a league with this ROM!

With no uploading to worry about, desynchs aren't a big deal, so I say go ahead with 7-min periods

I'm in, Toronto, please? (if we're picking teams yet)

The problem is that the desynchs occur within seconds of starting the game...

* beavers33/mcarthurbsu33

* A & B1

* I'll Play

Can I suggest that maybe we have a pretty short first season? Something like 2 games vs each opponent, if we have less than 12 teams. If the season is pretty short, chances of failure are significantly diminished. New leagues come around every once in a while, and they fail pretty often. Don't want that to happen in this case.

Edited by beavers33

Or sometimes in the middle of a period.

The problem is that the desynchs occur within seconds of starting the game...

Ah, I missed those messages. That's a problem then... related to the goalie patch apparently... thought that had been figured out, but I guess not...

Ah, I missed those messages. That's a problem then... related to the goalie patch apparently... thought that had been figured out, but I guess not...

Well why should it be a problem for a couple of people, but not a problem for others? If it's to do with the goalie patch surely it's the same for everyone? Is the playoff ROM i've been using (& attached here) missing the goalie patch? If so it's not a major problem to play a league without instant goalie control is it? We're all used to it anyway.

Well why should it be a problem for a couple of people, but not a problem for others? If it's to do with the goalie patch surely it's the same for everyone? Is the playoff ROM i've been using (& attached here) missing the goalie patch? If so it's not a major problem to play a league without instant goalie control is it? We're all used to it anyway.

yeah it isn't, but, that's what was the breakthrough with this ROM. Is the option of having instant goalie control

btw, when I do play this rom it usually takes me to the middle of the third period in my 5th game of playing that i realize I had the avail option to use instant goalie control because im so used to playing without it.

Edited by Comeback_King

this rom desyncs every single time i play it, no matter if both have exact same versions.

is it working for everybody else?

All the guys I've tested my method with, it has worked. Let me know next time you're on and we'll try it.