NHL'94 Forums

94 Bible coming soon

HABS

This has been on my mind lately. Coming up on a year from the original post...I'm happy to help get this started if people are still interested.

My idea is to start a thread (Ultimate GENS Strategy Guide) that has the overall outline as the first post, and as sections are written/updated, I will modify the original post with hyperlinks to the appropriate sections.

First step would be to get the basic outline mapped out and the rest will flesh out as people contribute articles/ideas.

Some ideas to start:

* How to Play - Basics

* Inside the ROM - player attributes, etc. (some hacking stuff already written, perhaps to be summarized)

* Beginner/Intermediate/Advanced Scoring Strategies & Techniques

- Slapshot

- Deke

- Crease-Cut

- One-timers

- Pass Shot

- RAM

- Rebound

* The Art of Checking

- Poke Check

- "C" Check

* Defensive Strategies

* The Art of Manual Goalie Control

* Building Starting Lines (link to AJ section)

* Bugs

* Appendix/Reference

Anyway, this should be a fun project. Best articles would include pictures and/or video examples.

Pass shots are old, but it's just the better players who use them, since they are hard and are needed to beat the better players. cr0ssbar was doing them in 2005 or 2006 and i still haven't seen anyone use it as effectively from the faceoff dot as him

'weird angle slapshots trough the fivehole' I have not heard of, though!

Hey thanks for the compliment man. I used to be cr0ssbar for those who don't know, and I created this little video years ago:

It basically just gives an idea of the premise behind the pass shot. Basically, the way to master the pass shot is knowing when to release the puck on net. If you are closer to the boards, you have to release the shot earlier (when you are further away from the goalie). If you are just to the right or left of the goalie, you have to wait until you are in close to him to release the shot.

Kind of hard to explain, it just takes a lot of practice. I left this site for years but just came back this year. I still use the pass shot, but not as often as I used to. The reason is because when you play onlinem it makes it that much more difficult to pull off (due to lag) and if I miss, it usually leads to a turnover and a great scoring chance for my opponent.

I tried to perfect the shot in honor of Mark Messier, who's signature goal was the "wrong handed wrist shot".

I am now more onto my latest "goal scoring invention" which involves skating just past the blue line on the left or right side, and tapping the C button to release a quick shot on the goalie. The puck then bounces off the goalies head (causing him to go either far right or left of the net), while I simultaneously charge the net. I collect the rebound, and instantly shoot the puck to the opposite (empty) side of the net and score. :lol:

I am not sure what to call this goal. :unsure:

Meh that tutorial just shows the same goal over and over.. there are many pass shots not just that one. I'd like to see swos do a tutorial.. he has always been the best pass shooter IMO although sebe seemed to master his one where ur charging straight down then suddenly pull it to the outside and pass it straight down and in

Meh that tutorial just shows the same goal over and over.. there are many pass shots not just that one. I'd like to see swos do a tutorial.. he has always been the best pass shooter IMO although sebe seemed to master his one where ur charging straight down then suddenly pull it to the outside and pass it straight down and in

Yeh I never said it was the greatest video ever. Just a simple demo I did for fun. The pass shot where you charge straight down and shoot it straight in is actually a lot easier to pull off than the ones demonstrated in my video where you pass the puck in the net from far out and from the side, especially when you are closer to the boards. It takes perfect timing.

Charging the net straight down then doing the pass shot "straight in" really makes no sense unless a defenseman is bearing down on you and you dont have time to "fake left, go right" and just do a standard deke/shoot move. If you have a clear breakaway there are better options. The pass shot is most effective in the video I posted because it will catch the opponent off guard.

Other than that, I can't think of many other ways to score on a pass shot other than passing it in through the goalies 5 hole. So I'm not sure what "many other ways" means.

I was pretty well known around here back in 2006 for the pass shot. People used to IM me all the time asking "how to do it" but it's really not that easy to explain. I have never really played SWOS but I'll take your word for it that he's good at it. Maybe you weren't in the league yet in 2005/2006. I honestly don't remember, sorry.

Other than that, I can't think of many other ways to score on a pass shot other than passing it in through the goalies 5 hole. So I'm not sure what "many other ways" means.

You can pass shot from a deke both forehand and backhand, coming in diagonal or straight down, shooting it diagonally or lined up to a corner, crease-cut, etc. There are more ways...I know 'cause I've been the victim of them all! :P

For example, here's swos scoring three backhand pass shots for a quick hat trick:

You can pass shot from a deke both forehand and backhand, coming in diagonal or straight down, shooting it diagonally or lined up to a corner, crease-cut, etc. There are more ways...I know 'cause I've been the victim of them all! :P

For example, here's swos scoring three backhand pass shots for a quick hat trick:

LOL ahh ok I see now. Instead of a straight shot, switch to backhand then pass (shoot). Pretty f'n sweet move I must say.