NHL'94 Forums

WELCOME TO THE GENS 2011 LEAGUE!

LA Robbie

Well here it is, the official Genesis 2011 subforum for the now looking more & more official GENESIS NHL '94 2011 LEAGUE using Clockwise's masterpiece 2011 rom!! Finally this work of art is going to be honoured in the biggest & best way possible - in it's very own online league! This is THE definitive NHL '94 league, using THE definitive NHL '94 rom!

The rules are these -

* 7 MINUTE PERIODS

* MANUAL GOALIES

* FULL LINE CHANGES

* OFFSIDES ON

* 5 MINUTES OT + SHOOTOUTS TO DECIDE WINNERS. 1 POINT FOR OTL

The league will also record statistics including:

* Game results

* Goal scorers

* Assists

The league rom is attached at the bottom of this thread. It's important that in online play both players use the EXACT SAME FILE, WITH THE EXACT SAME FILE NAME to avoid desyncs. Make sure you're both using this file when you play, as very few problems have been reported with it.

These are the people you should look to with quieries, issues, complaints, rants etc:

LEAGUE CO-ORDINATORS

LA Robbie (AIM: gretzkyonacold) - Schedules

Probob (AIM: Probob38) - Stats & records

ROM/TECHNICAL ISSUES

Cam Kneely (AIM: Vocally Caged) - Helping out anyone that finds they have problems getting a working online rom

Note: Clockwise IS NOT involved in the adminstration of this league, so don't go to him with problems or league issues!

We have a "schedule a game" section where you can leave your messages for coaches you're having trouble reaching, and the league schedule will also be posted there too. I'll also set up a "results & stats" thread in the general discussion section where you leave all of the information of your games.

The main purpose of this league is simply to enjoy Clockwise's incredible rom in a competitive league, so choose your team, give us your full commitment for the duration of the league and we look forward to seeing you on the ice!

NHL_94_(Playoff_Edition_2011)v2.bin

Edited by LA Robbie

ROM problems update:

We found that when ProBob downloaded the file from here the file I posted orginally named: NHL 94 2011 (Playoff edition).bin got changed on Probob's computer to: NHL_94_2011_(playoff_edition).bin with all the spaces filled in with underscores. When we tried to play it wouldn't connect because of the different names. ProBob deleted each _ and created the spaces in the file name again, and everything worked fine. An early desync & then nothing over 2, 7 minute period games, so it appears the desync was just a one off, as could happen in Classic.

Since then i've played a bunch (probably about 10) of games against Comeback, Kupuck & ProBob without a single desync issue.

If you're having problems check the names of both the file ur using and the file the other guy is using are the same, even if you've both downloaded the same file from the same place!

Further problems getting the 2011 rom to work should be directed to Vocally Caged, but this rom is the best there is at the current time.

How is the checking in this ROM? is it too easy to C check, i.e., open-ice hits work 90% of the time no matter who the players are? I could reduce the multiplier a bit, to counter how high the average checking rating is in this ROM.

Also, I can probably fix the OT time length. Or, if someone technically inclined is interested, I could teach them some hacking to fix this, since this particular hack is quite simple and is similar to the hack in TonyH's hacking tutorial. I need to start training a successor for when I eventually lose interest in 94.. someone must carry the hacking torch..

If the spaces in the name of the uploaded file are causing problems, then new versions of the file should contain the underscores to begin with, so no one needs to convert them to spaces.

Also, I could guide someone through creating an unpatch for the goalie patch. This will allow us to patch/unpatch ROMs for goalie control, so we can use NOSE to edit the ROMs. Volunteers?

How is the checking in this ROM? is it too easy to C check, i.e., open-ice hits work 90% of the time no matter who the players are? I could reduce the multiplier a bit, to counter how high the average checking rating is in this ROM.

Also, I can probably fix the OT time length. Or, if someone technically inclined is interested, I could teach them some hacking to fix this, since this particular hack is quite simple and is similar to the hack in TonyH's hacking tutorial. I need to start training a successor for when I eventually lose interest in 94.. someone must carry the hacking torch..

If the spaces in the name of the uploaded file are causing problems, then new versions of the file should contain the underscores to begin with, so no one needs to convert them to spaces.

Also, I could guide someone through creating an unpatch for the goalie patch. This will allow us to patch/unpatch ROMs for goalie control, so we can use NOSE to edit the ROMs. Volunteers?

I find the big or "easy" hits to be one of the best parts of the rom - with the weight bug fix and no weight fix either the checking advantage is with heavy or light players, this rom seems to give every team the chance to be physical which is more realistic to me, but maybe not to some. Plus if some of the less skilled teams/coaches lose their hitting ratings it might have a big affect. I personally think one of the most annoying thing about old games is how you have someone lined up for a hit, you go bouncing off like a ball, but seems to happen less with good checking ratings.

Smozoma, my NOSE knowledge is pretty limited but if you catch me on with some spare time I may be up for the challenge. Also I favor changing OT's back to 5 minutes, shouldn't take more then 2 minutes in NOSE to change.

I find the big or "easy" hits to be one of the best parts of the rom - with the weight bug fix and no weight fix either the checking advantage is with heavy or light players, this rom seems to give every team the chance to be physical which is more realistic to me, but maybe not to some. Plus if some of the less skilled teams/coaches lose their hitting ratings it might have a big affect. I personally think one of the most annoying thing about old games is how you have someone lined up for a hit, you go bouncing off like a ball, but seems to happen less with good checking ratings.

Smozoma, my NOSE knowledge is pretty limited but if you catch me on with some spare time I may be up for the challenge. Also I favor changing OT's back to 5 minutes, shouldn't take more then 2 minutes in NOSE to change.

I agree, the nice thing about playing this rom is the top players i.e. Crosby are still top, but because of their abilities, not because they're bouncing off clearly good challenges Roenick style! Those top players still dominate the games & point scoring, but because of their skills. Much more realistic. I think it's awesome the way it is!

If 5 minute OT can be set up great, as we're using 5 mins plus shootouts in this league (the rom still has shootouts right?! lol). I would volunteer to learn, but I fear i'd be found dead in my bed within a week the way my GF has been getting on at me for the amount of time I spend on here already! lol

the 'unpatch' will be needed, since apparently the goalie patch breaks nose compatibility (i read that somewhere?)

Ok this is what I've noticed now that I'm tinkering with my lines and maybe some of you who follow your teams have concerns about this as well. Let me ask, who gave the ratings to these players? And how, what did they go off of? Something is telling me that they took the ratings from the '11 or '10 EA sports game for Xbox version? Because this doesn't add up. For instance:

Duncan Keith- one of the fastest D men in the league, competes in All Star fastest skater competition. rating 79 Now you might think what's wrong with that until you see Brian Campbell has an 89! Should be switched.

Jassen Cullimore has more D awareness than Seabrook and Keith! lol

Patrick Sharp a 62 shot power wtf? Top 10 goal scorer? Top 15

Don't even look at Kane's shot accuracy, a guy who can snap shot a puck in a plastic cup from top of the circles.

And Hossa's stats label him as being retired already I guess.

I'm not going to bore you with the rest with the not so famous guys.

Look into your team and tell us what brazen numbers you see.

I haven't checked out other teams as of yet.

Detroit-

a guy like Rafalski who had to retire because of an injury plagued season this year has a higher rating than Keith and Seabrook.

I'll be going through most of these teams just to see some obvious GA ratings. No big deal, since I don't understand what goes into making these type of roms maybe they have to be like that.

Edited by Comeback_King

Yeah, I think the ratings are influenced heavily by EA NHL11.

its all jesus fault i tell you :lol:

Unless you come up with solid evidence of one player being better than the other, or just do a complete rom yourself. Just saying X player is better than Y without any statistical evidence is lousy.

Comeback: Kane has 11% lifetime SH%. THat's not great. Sharp has 12%. Elite hangs out at 14-16%

Edited by The Russian Rocket

Unless you come up with solid evidence of one player being better than the other, or just do a complete rom yourself. Just saying X player is better than Y without any statistical evidence is lousy.

Comeback: Kane has 11% lifetime SH%. THat's not great. Sharp has 12%. Elite hangs out at 14-16%

Well, you really don't need statistical evidence to know that Jassen Cullimore is not better than Keith and Seabrook. No sir, never, ever. And Campbell is not faster than Keith. So I was led to believe that whoever does these stats really isn't looking at percentages, rather, total goals and assists, their reputation. I could be wrong on that though. But it seems if a player had a great year they gave him good stats in the game and vice versa. Now, Datsyuk has a 99% STKHNDL in the game, c'mon, what % supports that? And really what % supports OA and DA or shot pwer? So I don't think I'm out of line saying it's bullshit about the defensemen's ratings and Sharp's shot power.

Now by SH% I assume you mean shooting %. I'll try to look up some well known players in the league and see if it is consistent shooting % in the rom as in real life. If it is, then you steered me in the right direction about Kane's shot accuracy, because really, that's the only stat that % can affect I think. So I'm curious now. This should be fun to look up. I'm hoping I don't discover a player with a worse SH% than Kane but with a way different rating. thanks for the info. I'll get back to that when I have some time.

Goals scored against per 60 minutes with Cullimore on the ice:

Goals scored against per 60 minutes with Keith on the ice:

Both had similar quality of opposition. (As per the stats).

Edited by The Russian Rocket

Don't forget that players can be hot/cold up to 8 or 9 points out of 99, so that 62 shot power for Sharp could be a 70 normally (but i haven't checked). Not sure I would call a guy with two 30-goal seasons a real top-10 scorer.. sure he was injured one year, too..

In NHL94, the Shooting Accuracy attribute is directly related to Shooting Percentage. Guys with 5-6 Shooting Acc in NHL94 had 20%+ shooting percentage (Lemieux, Robitaille, etc). So shot accuracy is based more on how effectively you use your shot in game situations. But yeah I don't think that relation works so well in the modern game... i'd say the more shots a guy takes, he should get some ShA boost, since he'll have been prompted to shoot more...