NHL'94 Forums

CLOCKWISE'S 2011 ROM ISSUES/PROBLEMS

LA Robbie

Hey Guys,

Smozoma suggested I start this thread, and I think it's a great idea, because since Clockwise created this rom there have been different issues with the rom & online reliability placed all around different parts of this forum. The idea of this thread is to put them all in one place so we can discuss them and find the solutions together, rather than a couple of people experiencing something and discussing it in one place, only for the guy that's experiencing the same thing to discuss it in a different place with someone else 2 months later. Here we can hopefully harness the collective knowledge of some of the experts in this area & help everyone out.

With the league starting next week (Monday 30th June 2011) we need to make sure any issues are covered too to ensure no one's forced to drop out or sit out the league that we all want to enjoy.

The rom that we are using for the 2011 league can be found in the "WELCOME" thread in this subforum. It's the most reliable version, with probably more than 95-98% of users experiencing no serious problems, so it's important that everyone playing in the league, or who wants to play online downloads and uses this copy of the rom, and shortly i'll explain why.

First of all, known issues that some have experienced with this ROM, and how they've been rectified:

DESYNC ISSUES

My personal experience is that this rom probably seems to desync less than the classic rom! I think i've had 1 desync on it during a couple of months of use and countless 7-minute period games! That said, a couple of people have experienced regular desyncing or immediate desyncing when they try to start an online game. These are the steps that you should take to guard against it:

1) USE THE EXACT SAME FILE!!! If I download the game from pixelpuck.com and patch it on my computer and my opponent downloads it and patches it on his computer we're going to desync. You have to use the exact same copy, not just the same game. If you're unsure if you both have the same copy, or if one of the copies was patched by someone different just send your opponent your copy directly via AIM, or make sure you've both downloaded the copy available on the "WELCOME" thread in this subforum.

2) MAKE SURE BOTH FILES USED HAVE THE SAME FILE NAME!!! Even if you & your opponent both download the file from the same place some computers have been known to save the game as a slightly different file name. The name of the file on this subforum is saved as: "nhl 94 2011 (playoff edition)" but some computers, perhaps with a different opereting system? have saved it by putting underscores in place of the spaces like this: "nhl_94_2011_(playoff_edition)". Before you play check both players have the exact same file name. If you play via hamachi you'll desync immediately if they're not the same. Via server you'll get a "rom not in list" message when you try to join the game. You can remedy this simply by 1 player renaming the file by inserting underscores in the spaces, or the other deleting the underscores and reintroducing the spaces to the file name.

3) MAKE SURE YOUR GENS CONTROLLER CONFIGURATION IS SET TO "6-BUTTON PAD" Don't ask me why, but apparently this had an impact during testing. You don't need to use a 6-button pad, but in the controller configuration section on the GENS menu it needs to say "6-button pad" or "6-way pad" or whatever it is. If your configuration menu says you're using a 3-button pad it's a problem. Perhaps it's because this rom has the Y button for instant goalie control? You can configure your 3 button pad on GENS and just nominate keyboard keys for the extra buttons. Job done!

ONLINE PLAY/CONNECTION ISSUES

1) LIGHTNING FAST MENUS Some have experienced this when using servers - You load the game up and everything seems fine. You push up or down to scroll in the game set-up menu and the cursor moves lightning fast through all the categories making it impossible to stop on the one you want to change. Basically this appears to be down to the server you're using, particularly if it's extremely busy. Just go to the master servers list and search for a server where you both get acceptable ping and then try it. Repeat the process if the problem continues until you find one that works for you.

2) CONTROL OF BOTH TEAMS You start the game or go to set your lines, and you've got control of both teams. Your opponent is connected and can see whats going on but can't take control of his team. Again this appears to be resolved by changing server, so just repeat the process described above. If you're having either of these problems via Hamachi try switching to "client" and using a server.

These seem to be the recurring problems with this rom, but so far all have been resolved. If you really can't get online play to work it would appear you're just damn unlucky! This rom appears to have a trouble free, 95,96% success rate or higher, so there's not really a known resolution for the problem if you're one of the 2, 3 or 4% of people that just can't get it to work. It would seem strange that it's in perfect working order for pretty much everyone but 1 or 2 just can't use it. You would think if there's a problem, it's going to be a problem for everyone.

If you do come across any other problems that the points above don't help with please post them in this thread and the experts can take a look for you. Also Vocally Caged is the man that got this rom working online I think, so if anyone can help he's probably the man!

Hopefully this thread helps so everyone can experience the joy of playing this rom online, and enter the 2011 League!

Edited by LA Robbie

ONLINE PLAY/CONNECTION ISSUES

1) LIGHTNING FAST MENUS Some have experienced this when using servers - You load the game up and everything seems fine. You push up or down to scroll in the game set-up menu and the cursor moves lightning fast through all the categories making it impossible to stop on the one you want to change. Basically this appears to be down to the server you're using, particularly if it's extremely busy. Just go to the master servers list and search for a server where you both get acceptable ping and then try it. Repeat the process if the problem continues until you find one that works for you.

2) CONTROL OF BOTH TEAMS You start the game or go to set your lines, and you've got control of both teams. Your opponent is connected and can see whats going on but can't take control of his team. Again this appears to be resolved by changing server, so just repeat the process described above. If you're having either of these problems via Hamachi try switching to "client" and using a server.

I've had these problems, but never online...

concerning servers...

servers suck. play over p2p, using Hamachi (or port forwarding, if you're techie enough).

Look at it this way:

client/server play:

you-------server---------opponent

p2p play:

you---------opponent

no server in the middle, so it's faster.

I'll add two more again I guess..

1) the no line change dump (aka the Chris Campoli special)

2) no icing when goalie pulled by opponent

if anyone else experiences anything let us know. I know for a fact others will come across the Campoli special but am curious about the icing.

I'll add two more again I guess..

1) the no line change dump (aka the Chris Campoli special)

2) no icing when goalie pulled by opponent

if anyone else experiences anything let us know. I know for a fact others will come across the Campoli special but am curious about the icing.

These sound like general bugs in the game, not this particular ROM -- nothing to do with making the game desynch or be unplayable for the league.

Yesterday Probob and I played the ROM as our assigned teams for the 1st time. Let me be the 1st to tell you that we had an awesome game.

Even though I lost 5-3, I felt that there was no advantage towards any of us. The game was very neutral and we really didn't get allot of offsides. I think if I can remember we combined about 6-8 offsides during the whole game. The 7 minutes per period was perfect. We played the game for a good 15 minutes and it did not desync'd. I actually liked the manual line changes. It is little rough to get used to at 1st, but after a while I was able to get the hang of it.

Then I started to play a game with Comback King "CHICAGO" and we were playing good. We didn't finish it cause my "Ball and CHAIN" kept asking me to put up curtains for her.

"Women - Can't live with them, Can't heard them all to CANADA"

Added NOTE: I read the forum so far and I have not gotten any of those problem except for "Lightning Fast Menu"

But it was a one time glitch. It hasn't happened to me for a while.

The ROM is fine.

I believe it become it could be people's internet connectivity.

Edited by STONECOLDEAP

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I Havn't had any of the issues mentioned above with the 2011 Playoff Edition. The only issue i have is with the 6 Button feature when you use the button to manually control the goalie it sometimes stays on the Goalie and can't switch it with another player. Unable to to Control goalie when its stuck except pass when the goalie gets the puck.

Really Awesome rom, Great Hack!

Marcus