NHL'94 Forums

How did you find www.nhl94.com?

Comeback_King

Hey guys, if this has already been asked and there is a thread about it feel free to delete it or move it. I don't think so from what I can remember. I've gone through almost every topic when I got back into this website to see what I missed.

I wanted to make this topic for you all to post how you stumbled upon this website and what made you join? Share your story. Something a little more elaborate then google. What made you think of '94 to google it in the first place?

Mine is: in a nutshell: I went to a hockey tourny in Toronto around '04-'05 and ended up rooming with a teammate who is older than me. He asked me if I brought NHL '94 with and I kinda looked at him like he was crazy. I haven't played that game since I was a kid. I asked him with my thick Chicago accent, "Whatcha mean?" He tells me back in 1994 when all the guys were younger, my Dad brought the Sega Genesis up there on another tourny with a brand spankin' new '94 and half the guys stayed in the hotel and played it all night while the other half went to the titty bars. On the whole tour bus ride home, I kept thinking about '94 and how I don't really even remember it because it's been so long, plus I was thinking what a shame what happened to Detroit as we went through it.

So, as soon as I got home I was on a mission. I went to Funcoland to buy the console and the game. No luck, the guy behind the counter tells me they stopped carrying stuff that old. The original playstation was about the oldest stuff they still sell. So I went on ebay. 10 bids, 2 systems, 1 cd system, 1 rare 4-way adapter, 8 controllers, two '94 games, 1 cd game, and around $300 dollars later I was back in business! :D Only to type in NHL '94 in yahoo and come across this site in '05 to find out all I had to do was download something computer related called an emulator and another weird computer related thing called a ROM to play again :angry:

Fudge. I hate computers.

Being computer shy (really computer shy at that time) I decided to join in '06 I think and not right away in '05. From what I remember, the site in '05 was pretty basic compared to now being in it's infancy. But it took me until now to attempt to play online, this is my first season. Not as difficult as I thought. With the help from you guys, you made it possible for me. You know who you are.

What about you guys? What about you Rob? I was kinda shocked you also joined in '06 but really started coming around now in '11 like me.

Edited by Comeback_King

I typed http://nhl94.com into the browser's address bar, hit enter and prepared to try .org and .net and the likes, but, hold and be low, this place existed. I'm very glad it does. and something about ROM mapping.

I play NHL94 on the original Sega with a friend of mine and saw that there were youtube videos for the game. Those videos had links to the forums and the rest is history.

Edited by dcicon5148

I joined the forums a few years back, meaning I made one post regarding a GENS bug. I don't remember what prompted me to find NHL94.com, but I didn't come back until Halifax (Spambud) sent an email regarding the Spring'11 classic league. Intrigued, I signed up and started playing online.

I quickly became addicted as I did over a decade ago! I haven't played any hockey game past NHL'95, so to find out now that there's a competitive league of '94 players here is a mini dream come true. Now I just gotta master that damn pass shot....

In my last year of university, I was living in residence in 4-person suite, and someone brought their SNES, Street Fighter Alpha, and a tv, which we set up in the kitchen area. When home for christmas, I stumbled across my Genesis and SNES and brought the Genesis and some SNES games back to residence. We got hugely into NHL94 on the Genesis (SNES 95 didn't make the cut! too easy!)

After I graduated, I had a lot of spare time (looking for a

), so googled up NHL94 to read a bit about it.. checked out the wikipedia page, then nhl94.com..

I probably wouldn't have stuck around, but a guy called dmitry had just started an NHL94 league with full statistics support.. so I joined that. Then I made my own statistics system for me and my buddy from school...

I remember getting an IM one day from this guy, who I later found out was Evan.

Evan: "Hey bud, I have this awesome website for nhl94, you should check it out bud. It would be great to have ya as part of the community bud, we could use some who loves SNES nhl94 as much as you do, bud."

Halifax: "Thanks, I do love snes nhl94 more than most things in life, and I also noticed you say 'bud' a lot. Do most guys call each other 'bud' on the site?"

Evan: "Not at all bud, just be careful you don't fall into that trap, bud."

Halifax: "I won't bud....thanks for the tip."

and then I signed up for the forums.

or verse vice-a, I guess, but, really, that makes no sucking fence.

Well, seeing as you asked Comeback,

I'd already found out about emulators maybe a couple of years before I joined the site, but didn't know about netplay. Basically out of all the games me & my mates wasted our youth on, like Sonic 1 & 2, Roadrash 2, PGA Tour Golf 2, Final Fight & Sensible soccer, NHL '94 was the one that stuck in our hearts somehow. So one day my friend who was more knowledgeable than me about computers gave me a CD, with a Genesis emulator & the '94 rom on it. I played it & thought it was pretty cool to have a Genesis on the PC, but didn't think any more of it.

I actually got my friend to find me a Megadrive (Genesis) and a Mega CD (Sega CD) on Ebay so I could get back into the game again. I had both the cart & the CD versions, but because my mates that i'd always played tournaments with had moved away to university I had no one else to play against!

I left England in September 06 & moved to NJ. I'd left my XBox behind in England as it won't work in the US, so when I got to NJ one of the first things I did was join Ebay & spent about a week I guess searching for Genesis consoles - but only ones that came with NHL '94! I think I paid about $20-25 for a Genesis with 2 or 3 controllers and 4 games: NHL '94, Madden '94, NBA Jam & someone I don't know's "College Hoops". Awesome!

About the same time for some reason I searched NHL '94 in Google. Really don't know why, and found this site! I joined purely as like a statement of "I'm a fan of this game" kind of thing. Saw there was an online league using the emulator but thought it would be too much hassle to get involved. At the time I was working as a soccer coach & living in a shared house with 3 or 4 other coaches, all using one shared, slow as s**t PC. i think it would've been a nightmare getting regular exclusive time on it.

Anyway, I think that although I was now aware of it's existence I didn't pay the site much thought. My mates actually made the trip from England to NJ in the summer of 2007 to play a tournament, relive our youth playing this great game, and with the idea that it would be an annual event.

Well, later that summer I met a Mexican girl and plans changed! Made the switch down here in January 08 & the annual tournament never became a reality. I felt terrible that my mates made the trip to NJ for the inaugural event & now I wasn't going to be able to keep my end of the bargain up by going to where they live.

Me and a friend actually hooked up via netplay about a year ago, but it was a nightmare trying to figure out IPs etc, and when we finally did get it working it was so laggy & choppy. Barely playable, and so we forgot about it.

Well what do you know. Spring 2011 & I get an email from Halifax. "Spring classic is about to start. Sign-up now" I'd looked at the site maybe 2 times in the past 4 years. I still thought it was too much hassle, but his email mentioned the Facebook group. I joined it, again just as a statement of my love for this old game. There was a thread started by some guy proclaiming his mate as "the world's best player" lol. Why his mate felt the need to make the statement I don't know. Seems a bit of a "manlove" kind of thing to do proclaiming to the world that your friend is the best?! Anyway, there was lots of banter on there & obviously people saying "Join the league, back your talk up". And that's what prompted me to make the leap.

Since then i've learned manual goalie, got to a higher level of play than I ever did as a kid playing leagues with my mates & even found out about the awesome 2011 rom by Clockwise - Can you believe i'm now running the 2011 league?!!

More importantly, learning about the netplay capabilities & advancements, and how easy the setup now was i've restarted the league with my mates back in England. We are now playing our annual tournament & reliving the days where we'd regularly spend hours on end shut in one of our bedrooms with sore "joypad thumbs", when we could have been out riding our bikes, playing soccer at the park or talking to girls! lol

So Halifax, I owe you & the creators of this site an awful lot. Not just for reintroducing me to the game, and new stuff like Clockwise's amazing rom, but for helping me & my oldest and dearest childhood friends reconnect on a regular basic across continents. You seriously don't know how cool that is for me, especially living so far away from them now. Even better is that when I play them we always have to connect via a server in the US, meaning I always get the advantage of slightly better ping! lol. I'm waltzing our league, but i'm sure this is more due to the hours playing the past few months! The downside is that when I play you guys you're always getting pings of 30's or 40's & i'm lucky if get something in the 60's! Horrible!

Thanks again. It was a long one I know, but hey, you started me off Comeback! lol

I was driving home from work one day listening to the best sports talk radio station www.wgr550.com with Shoap and the Bulldog. When they returned from a break, they were playing the NHL94 theme song. It instantly brought back fond memories of playing the NHL series back in college. They still play the song whenever they have a specific local reporter join in for a segment,

As soon as I got home I googled 94 and found the site. This was around spring 2007. The rest is history for me.

Zalex found this in french class i believe..or in NICOLAU'S

....Shoap and the Bulldog....

are they before or after Dingo and The Baby?

N731952609_753.jpg

Zalex found this in french class i believe..or in NICOLAU'S

Only in Frey's and Zalex's class in high school will you see a dozen people playing NHL 94 at the same time... AH MEMORIES

Haha funny school stories.

Remembering a big ass project of science (2 months, 50 pages min, yeah I went to a geek high school) and at the end of the ''research'' part we were all playing Halo 1 on LAN, someone installed it on the school's drivers. Was funny as hell.

simple i found this site by doing a google search for NHL 94 and that lead to an article that had a link to this site

Played '94 periodically as a kid from 1994-1999. Discovered emulators in 2006 and started playing '94 again periodically. Got back into the NHL full time in 2009 and started playing '94 again...but more periodically lol. So then I got interested in finding a hack of '94 with the 2009 rosters. Ran a google search and found this site. Joined then but didn't hang around much until late 2010.

It was because of this video that got me here in the first place. I've asked about it, someone pointed me towards the site and I googgled it. The rest is history from here.

Something a little more elaborate then google. What made you think of '94 to google it in the first place?

I typed it on google and it existed. Great glorious glory.

simple i found this site by doing a google search for NHL 94 and that lead to an article that had a link to this site

Good job guys.