NHL'94 Forums

Important announcement

I have been rather dissapointed in how things are going whenever I get games started online. In the seasons I've been in this community, I haven't had such horrible hiccups with my connection for 3+ years and it was gradually getting worse as I progressed while trying to come up with good solutions on this problem.

It's possible that I could move away where a connection has a network or two that proves to be more reliable, but money talks in this world and if you want to do anything, you gotta have it. I could talk to my bro and see if there's a service that has more oomph! in its networks, though it can get rather costly if he has to pitch in all by himself. Another way is to afford another router that has a stronger connection and try to find a network that really works.

This is particularly egregious in the Genesis leagues. At least with some of the guys, I don't have that problem and SNES works fine and dandy. The complains may not cease while I'm around, however. Therefore, I'll make an attempt to finish GDL and Blitz as much as I can and if it does get worse, I'm gonna do a temporary retirement where all Genesis leagues are concerned. I won't leave the ones based on the SNES version, but I don't want the others to get too uncomfortable with my situation for the past 2-3 months.

If a hiatus or retirement is on the order until I somehow resolve this problem, so be it.

Does this mean you will or won't be playing the GENS 2011 league? Obviously if I know we can give your place to someone on the waiting list.

Thanks

It's possible I won't be able to play the Gens 2011 League. You can go ahead and replace me.

Perhaps when I manage to come back...

It's possible I won't be able to play the Gens 2011 League. You can go ahead and replace me.

Perhaps when I manage to come back...

Thanks for letting me know. Ur always welcome back

I have been rather dissapointed in how things are going whenever I get games started online. In the seasons I've been in this community, I haven't had such horrible hiccups with my connection for 3+ years and it was gradually getting worse as I progressed while trying to come up with good solutions on this problem.

It's possible that I could move away where a connection has a network or two that proves to be more reliable, but money talks in this world and if you want to do anything, you gotta have it. I could talk to my bro and see if there's a service that has more oomph! in its networks, though it can get rather costly if he has to pitch in all by himself. Another way is to afford another router that has a stronger connection and try to find a network that really works.

This is particularly egregious in the Genesis leagues. At least with some of the guys, I don't have that problem and SNES works fine and dandy. The complains may not cease while I'm around, however. Therefore, I'll make an attempt to finish GDL and Blitz as much as I can and if it does get worse, I'm gonna do a temporary retirement where all Genesis leagues are concerned. I won't leave the ones based on the SNES version, but I don't want the others to get too uncomfortable with my situation for the past 2-3 months.

If a hiatus or retirement is on the order until I somehow resolve this problem, so be it.

ask smoz, he may have some pointer and a suggestion for you

possible causes of laggitude.

your ISP sucks.

Or, it might not be the ISP itself, but your neighborhood, if everyone else uses the same ISP and clogs the lines*. This is especially possible if you're on something like DSL. If you're on Cable, I guess it's less likely.

I was wrong. If you're on cable, this is more likely than if you're on DSL. I think DSL can go bad if you're too far away from the ISP, though?

* (I am no expert in ISPs and how their networks work)

Obviously wireless sucks if you're not close by your wireless router. I'm in the same room with mine, and I definitely get more desynchs when on wireless, so I have my "pull in case of nhl 94" wire.

In experiments i did last year, if I used wireless on more than one computer, the wireless connections got worse. So in my opinion wireless is only OK if you're the only person using your internet. I dont' really know why, though -- it SHOULDN"T make that much of a difference. Maybe my router sucks.

sucky router? i dunno, if you get DLink or some other fairly big brand, it should be ok.. I have a linksys right now, but next time I'll go for DLink.

Can you go on the internet and search for what people say are good ISPs in your area? Then you can give your bro recommendations instead of making him do the work. or call up your ISP and ask wtf.

I thought our GDL games went ok, though, once you weren't on wireless across the house from the router.

Brand is Linksys, and ironically the wired connection with the device is actually a lot worse than it once was. I'm looking for an alternative by trying to get a cleaner and better laptop with XP. Vista is troublesome and totally not worth it. I should have gone with my brother when he bought it from his friend.

Info from Speedtest.net: 215 ping, download speed at 0.58 Mbps and upload speed at 0.27. Mbps. I'll add the one from Pingtest a bit later.

Pingtest.net: 41916531.png

Edited by RedWingDevil

RWD, is this with the wireless?

If you are capable of logging into the router, it would at least help a little to change your wireless settings. Most of the time, the router default setting set the wireless channel to auto. It helps to use Channel 1 or 11 - these are the strongest. Your router probably operates on the 2.4 GHz range, which a microwave and most older wireless home phones operate on. This could cause interference and affect your connection. Try setting the wireless channel to 1 or 11 and repost the pingtest.net results. Just curious how much of a difference it will make.

If you need help on logging into the router, search your router model on the internet. The Linksys site should actually have instructions on how to do this.

Yeah, those are my stats with the wireless. I loathe to think how they'd look if I have this thing wired. I'll try to check out the channel change with my brother no sooner he stops talking to his girlfriend about stuff. I need to hear his input as I explain this to him.

Edited by RedWingDevil

um, wired is better.

Ch-ch-ch-changes! My brother may have changed it to the highest channel, so here it is:

41927982.png

I don't know if everyone's willing to test it this week, but one of the networks I used to burrow has returned online and ready to use.

42275872.png

Here's hoping it's here to stay.

Edited by RedWingDevil

My 2 cents -- DSL would actually be better in a crowded area vs cable as DSL is a dedicated line on your phone that only you access, vs cable where everyone is sharing the same pipes. Having said that, it shouldn't be an issue for '94.

Wired is always better than wireless and I don't know why your results are reversed. You don't have to deal with interference from the air. From what I understand, when playing P2P the ping is estimated once in the beginning and that determines frame delays, etc. Once your connection has a brain fart (especially a wireless hiccup), a desynch happens. Server assumes more of a lag, which is why it generally plays slower, but can handle those drops better. I read that in he forums here, so you can probably get a better explanation there.

Download speeds at .58 and upload at .27 is pretty bad. What speeds are you paying for? That is my guess to your connection problems.

I use a netbook (acer aspire one), slightly modified with an SSD and 2G RAM, that costs less 200 brand new. Pretty weak, spec-wise. While I agree Vista sucks, I doubt its your comp causing issues (unless a bunch of other programs are running simultaneously).

Anyway, those are my thoughts. You were the person who originally confirmed my test game for the Spring classic league, which I appreciate, so I hope I can gel you get straightened out in return. Good luck.

My 2 cents -- DSL would actually be better in a crowded area vs cable as DSL is a dedicated line on your phone that only you access, vs cable where everyone is sharing the same pipes.

Whoops, I was wrong. DSL doesn't suffer from the 'busy neighborhood' slowdown like cable does.

Although the distance from the ISP (or their nodes or whatever) can hurt DSL speeds, I think?

Whoops, I was wrong. DSL doesn't suffer from the 'busy neighborhood' slowdown like cable does.

Although the distance from the ISP (or their nodes or whatever) can hurt DSL speeds, I think?

You are correct about distance. When I had DSL and moved about 1 mile closer to the DSL "hub" my speed went 10 times faster at the same service plan.

Best ones I found are on Arizona and Los Angeles.

Best ones I found are on Arizona and Los Angeles.

I think what Smoz and DC are saying is the ISP usually has a DSL central office or hub where they then route all individual connections to subscribers. Depending on distance from this central office, your connection may degrade. I found this answer to be useful: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080602194345AAXaKlk

Do you have DSL?

Right, the DSL thing is about the distance to your ISP's infrastructure stuff (office, hub, whatever), not the distance to the pingtest.net server.

On another topic: The free wifi you're 'borrowing,' iceguy, is pretty darn fast... so clearly there is good internet available in that area from SOME company. Just need to find out which, and hopefully their prices are reasonable. On that Pingtest.net graphic, It says the ISP is "Telecable de Chihuahua," does that sound familiar, is that an ISP in your area? (I've definitely seen those give the wrong ISP, though)

The company we have for our service is Teléfonos del Noroeste or Telnor for short. And the weirdest thing is that I don't suffer packet loss, though I don't know how much influence it has.

OK, "Teléfonos del Noroeste" matches your pingtest.net output in this message you posted, and the great 20ms ping you got in this post was was "Telecable de Chihuahua," so maybe you should look into switching your provider to "TelChi" if they are in your area?

However, the two tests were done using different pingtest.net servers (Los Angeles and Tuscon), so maybe you should try all 4 combinations and see if you can discover if one ISP is better than the other. So try TelNor with L.A and Tuscon, and compare the results with TelChi + L.A and Tuscon. And maybe throw in a north-eastern USA server (Pittsburgh/Philadelphia) and a Quebec (Montreal) server as well (since so many coaches are from around those areas).

• 1 month later...

There's been a little development. My brother shall be commisioned with a new laptop before the end of the year and it's quite possible that I'll be passed down with his current laptop, thus storing the one I'm using at this time. Some testing will probably be done before the end, so since my brother is off the state and he didn't take his laptop with him I may be able to see if it'll make a difference with the connection, since my laptop has issues when I tried wired connection.

Oh, and his laptop has Windows XP instead of Vista. That's a good sign.

Thing is, I dunno how to add or find the network. If I could, it may make things easier.

Thing is, I dunno how to add or find the network. If I could, it may make things easier.

What I mean is, get rid of your current ISP, and get an account with this other company, since they seem to be much faster. Hopefully the price is similar.

If only because I don't live in the same zone that I may be able to get it. But I don't know if that works because I'm in a different zone of my country.

My brother knows more about this than I do. I have to ask him.