NHL'94 Forums

Official Resignation - Oilers442

Oilers442

Greetings friends and to those I never spoke to that may read this,

I signed up for this forum back in 2009 in a time where I was only looking for a rom of SNES NHL 94 with updated rosters. I found what I was looking for rather quickly and disappeared from here for a while and only came around sporadically.

In December of 2010, I returned with an interest in playing some games online. Though I am honestly not sure why I wanted to play online, I made a post asking for some help in getting set up, created an AIM account, and then I waited. Within 15 minutes, I was contacted by c4outlaws (rc69fab) for some games, and within another 15 minutes, we we're playing (myself as Winnipeg). The first faceoff looked promising as I won it, drove to the outside with Teemu Selanne at Right Wing, and fed Alexei Zhamnov for a quick one timer and a quick 1-0 lead not even 15 seconds into the game. I said to myself, "like taking candy from a baby."

10-15 minutes later, the game had become one-sided and I lost 7-2. Talk about a fast education! haha. My point in this story is that I came here thinking I was the best SNES NHL 94 player there was, and I was sorely mistaken and humbled by many of the opponents I played. And so I played more, and more, and more, enjoying each moment, each game, and getting a little better each time.

However, through all the games in my spare time away from college over the last of winter break, all of spring break, and summer break up to now, I lost my true "heart and soul." Allow me to elaborate...

When I was 14 years old back in 2004, I began to learn how to play the electric guitar. My dad showed me the basics of how to sound out notes on the fretboard and how to mute to create a "heavy" chugging sound like Metallica uses. Over the next 6-7 years, I practiced and practiced and never took a single organized lesson from any professionals or teachers. The instrument became something I confided in during the best of times when I was 16 and during the darkest of times when I was 18 and going through teenage issues with relationships, self-confidence, and even depression. Because playing the guitar, writing music, and expressing what I felt kept me afloat when nothing else in life was going right, I vowed to myself that I would never stop playing the instrument and that I wanted to have some form of a career as a guitarist in a band, solo, or as a studio musician, etc...

Unfortunately enough, I have become far too addicted to NHL 94 over the last 6-7 months. The amount of hours I have practiced guitar in this time has been the least that I have practiced since I began learning the instrument.

Therefore, it is with much regret that I must respectfully resign as an online NHL 94 player. My aspirations and hopes for a career in music depend upon me putting forth a lot of effort and time into perfecting my guitar skills, songwriting abilities, and other intangibles. I cannot put forth the required effort and time if I continue to play NHL 94 as much as I have been.

On that note, I would like to end by saying that I have had the time of my life playing online against the other SNES players. You guys have all taught me things about this game that I never knew existed. The only way I could ever become the best player would be to quit playing guitar and music completely and focus only on NHL 94. However, I must return to my journey of being a professional guitarist for my own good and before I ruin my chances of ever being successful in the one thing that I have ever wanted to do in life as a career.

So here is a special thank you to the players that I played with and competed against that taught so much about the game, that I consider friends, and that I'll periodically be keeping an eye on their progress in any future tournaments and online leagues that they participate in: c4outlaws, cjgarnet, danlizhot, grayto, fenty, iceguy94, xot82, pondhcky, pokerchamp, hulieuxnhl, manipleleaves.

If I forgot anyone, I apologize. I hope to someday list all of your names once again in the thank you notes of the first album I am on (if I am lucky enough to make it that far).

My last act will be to clear out the vaults of NHL 94 highlights that I have compiled since August of 2009. I will compile and post those in 1 or 2 youtube videos and then link them here. Not sure when I will do that, but it will be sooner rather than later.

I'm sorry to those that I may be letting down and disappointing. But this is the only way... I've never been good at practicing moderation in things that have gotten out of hand for me...

Best regards and best wishes to you all,

-Oilers442

Edited by Oilers442

Holy.... a future rock star in our midst, perhaps? Well, I hope you'll be able to have your career lift off, though it's sad you're leaving us all too soon. :(

If you don't make a cool hockey-themed album one day, I'll be pissed!

And the award for "Most beautiful post in the NHL94 forum goes to................."

Man that was a tear-jerker!

Good luck with the music.............i'm now beginning to understand the look on my GFs face as i'm in the middle of a 4 hour stretch at the computer playing this damn game! lol

Best of luck dude. As someone who also gets addicted, I completely understand. When Street Fighter II came out in the arcade, I nearly failed school that year because I cut classes so much to go play. Around the same time, I would also play Genesis like mad. Sure, '94 was a way to "de-stress" and relax...take breaks during homework or whatever, but I also knew I was kidding myself. I was playing too much.

Knowing that I can get addicted to games very easily, I never purchased another video game console. That was haaaaard when Playstation first came out! Lol. Anyway, fast forward to today, I've been enjoying '94 online these past few months and playing as much as I can. Fortunately I don't have homework these days, but my sleep is compromised and I'm wanting to find ways to play at work! While I have it under control, I know I have that same feeling I had over a decade ago when 94 first came out. Free time becomes time to play 94!

I'm sure a lot of people can relate to your post. Kudos to you and good luck in your quest!

Edited by kingraph

• 10 months later...

Well...seeing how this thread won't be deleted...I might as well use this thread to make my next announcement official (even though it's been painfully obvious for quite a while now)...

Friends, I'm back!

I'm still fully wrapped up in chasing my guitar dreams. In fact, I've discovered some even more efficient practice methods in the last 11 months. With that, I'm more excited about practicing guitar than ever, which I could not necessarily say a year ago. The best part is, I can play '94 in moderation now. I've graduated from college and now plan on committing a few nights a week to leagues and even exhibition games. And if I need to schedule some games for mornings or early afternoons to accomodate other's schedules, I'll be more than willing to do so.

I'm only one of many cogs in the machine of NHL '94, but damn it feels good to be back!!!

Let the games begin!!

Edited by Oilers442

Me too. Me too

Haha, the original line you quoted sounds all sorts of wrong when its read out of context! :lol: :lol:

I guess I walked into that one. Edit coming up, lol ;)

Haha, the original line you quoted sounds all sorts of wrong when its read out of context! :lol: :lol:

I guess I walked into that one. Edit coming up, lol ;)

Haha. You should have left the original!

I know what you mean man.......most times choosing between 94 and practicing results in dusty instruments. my justification is that the people who make videogame music have some of the best compositions out there. I could listen to the tunes in the sega version of nhl 93 forever. I really think growing up playing games with awesome soundtracks like sonic 1, streets of rage 2,devils crush,wiz n liz, shining force really helped shape my appreciation for music at a young age

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7FcmvGj-JA

and wowowow at the sega cd version of the 94 theme

next time you're torn between the two just think of 94 as "research" so you can have your cake and eat it too!