NHL'94 Forums

ProBob's PLAYOFFS

LA Robbie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JWfEVdzaZM

This is not at all final, but here's my proposed playoff idea:

Top 2 teams in each division are automatically in. There will then be 3 3rd place teams. There will be two playoff spots left. This is where the controversial part sets in. We could either go by overall record (I think this method would be terrible, because the strength of schedule then plays a factor so the records don't necessarily show who deserves to get in), or we could do kind of a 3 team playoff series, if you will. Each 3rd place team has to play both of the other 3rd place teams. If all 3 teams go 1-1 in this little series, then it goes to goal differential. If it remains tied there, a one game playoff determines the final playoff spot.

So because this sounds confusing, here's an example:

Teams A, B, and C are the 3 who finish 3rd. So team A has to play 2 games, against team B and team C. Team A has a better regular season record then both, so he gets to play both games at home. He beats team B and loses to team C. So he goes 1-1. He beats team B 5-3, and loses to team C 9-1. His goal differential is -6.

Team B, after losing to Team A 5-3, defeats Team C 4-3. He's 1-1, his goal differential is -1.

So therefore, team C has won 9-1 and lost 4-3. Like both other teams, he goes 1-1. His goal differential is +7.

In the end, Team C and Team B get into the playoffs because they had better goal differentials. Team A is eliminated. This is confusing, but in a perfect world, one team goes 2-0, one goes 1-1, the other goes 0-2, and the 0-2 team gets eliminated and goal differential doesn't play a factor. Lastly, if two teams both go 1-1, AND have the same goal differential, they play one game. Winner moves on, loser is done.

"decided by a two-man sac race held on consecutive Sundays until a champion is crown" - awesome movie :lol: I've been trying to think of something a little more simple, but if 18 teams enter into post-season tournaments its hard to work the numbers out evenly. (There is an odd # of series 9, so by the time we split A & B up we have a pair left out - maybe a wildcard/bye round will be a good way to solve it).

My own preference is 6 teams make the playoffs. Division winners are in (3), followed by next three best records. Top 2 seeds get bye. 3 vs 6, 4 vs 5. Followed by 1 vs 4, 2 vs 3. 1 vs 2 (assume high seed wins for clarity sake).

I know that only 6 teams make the playoffs -- if you wanted to expand to 8, take top 2 division records (6), followed by next 2 best records and eliminate the bye. 1/8 2/7 3/6 4/5 -- like the NHL.

10 teams would be top 2 division (6), followed by next best records for seeds 7-10. Seeds 7-10 would be wildcards that play first: 7 vs 10, 8 vs 9. Second Round becomes the 1/8 2/7 3/6 4/5, etc.

I think 10 should be the max (over 50% of teams make playoffs). The remaining 8 can play a "B" playoff.

Just my 2 cents -- I really am fine with whatever system ProBob comes up with as this is run by him and LA Robbie.

"decided by a two-man sac race held on consecutive Sundays until a champion is crown" - awesome movie :lol: I've been trying to think of something a little more simple, but if 18 teams enter into post-season tournaments its hard to work the numbers out evenly. (There is an odd # of series 9, so by the time we split A & B up we have a pair left out - maybe a wildcard/bye round will be a good way to solve it).

This post was only a bit of fun, but, as it's been brought up this has always been my intention from the start, and I still don't see any reason it can't work perfectly well:

"A" PLAYOFFS - 8 TEAMS

3 Division Winners

3 division runners-up

2 3rd placed teams with best season records

"B" PLAYOFFS - 8 TEAMS

3rd best 3rd place team

3 4th place teams

3 5th place teams

The 6th place team with best season record

WOODEN SPOON/EGG CUP/TOILET BOWL SERIES

2 6th place teams with the worst records

I know ProBob's original point was that the 3rd placed teams could be affected by the strength/weakness of the different divisions, and so may need to be decided somehow, but the way I see it all the Divisions have a pretty high standard to them, and if, after 22 games you don't make it into the "A" playoffs because someone else has bettered your season record, you can't really have too many complaints.

I'm open to comments/suggestions, but I feel this works pretty well?