NHL'94 Forums

The greatest suggestion for classic league...

halifax

....or it's the worst. I'm not sure. I'll let you decide.

How could I solve the many issues I get via PM, email and IM during the season. Issues such as, "I can't stand playing so and so" or "This guy never responds to pms" or "This guy is never online" or "The playoffs take way too long".

Well I have the answer...perhaps?

We pool all of the GENS players into one league (same for SNES). One team per every 15 entries, meaning one chicago for every 15 coaches that enters. We assign teams based on a suggestion smozoma made a while back (I can't find the thread it was in but I think I remember how it works). More on that later.

You must play 40 games. You can choose who you play against. (maximum 6 games per coach). Keep track of your home and away (20/20). I'd recommend playing an even amount of games against a coach in one sitting so you can ensure a home and away every two games.

A restriction of a maximum of 12 games against new coaches.

If you play 40, you get to play in the playoffs...other wise you don't.

Top 4 records play for A cup, next 4 in B cup, next 4 in C and so on. This will reduce playoff lag (hopefully).

Anyone can join at any time. No more replacement coaches. Just sign up and play and make sure you get to 40 before the final deadline (say 5 or 6 weeks form the start of the season).

Chaos: Thanks Hali, that is a formatting nightmare for the website.

Halifax: I'm sorry bud, I ate a lot of cupcakes and I didn't think that far ahead.

That would cause the same problem summit currently has, but worse. some people wont play good coaches cuz they are scared so theyll play only inferior coaches meaning their records will be biased.

That would cause the same problem summit currently has, but worse. some people wont play good coaches cuz they are scared so they'll play only inferior coaches meaning their records will be biased.

I think the difference between this idea and summit is that you have to play 40 games....so you have to play somebody otherwise you wont be able to participate in the playoffs. Everyone will have their own best interests in mind when trying to finish their season. What you might end up seeing is that the best coaches will have to play each other, same with mid level coaches playing each other and same with weaker end coaches playing each other. If a good coach is able to convince a weaker coach to play, then bonus for him. or perhaps it gets near the end of the season and people are stuck for coaches to play against and are forced to play certain coaches...either way, I think if you put the effort in, you can finish 40 games. It's possible you could finish your season with only playing against 7 coaches.

Someone tells me not many people will ask Carse to play.

There certainly seems to be a high potential to f!@k over the guys you wouldn't want to play come playoff time..........and an equally high potential to beat down on weaker players for some easy points?

There certainly seems to be a high potential to f!@k over the guys you wouldn't want to play come playoff time..........and an equally high potential to beat down on weaker players for some easy points?

There were beat downs already in these leagues. It's more likely to happen with the current leagues. You're assuming the weak players would want to play against better players....maybe they would...but maybe they'd rather play the majority of their games against players they feel are their own caliber.

As I mentioned in the previous post, every coach will have their own best interest in mind when playing the season and thus be more selective in who they choose as an opponent.

If anything I'd rather see guys enjoy playing their season, then complaining to me about another coach.

Here are two scenarios that could be troublesome:

A top guy loses half of his games, end up 20-20 bc he had to play top players. He then qualifies for the C Cup. He ends up in a 4 team playoff vs 3 lower skilled guys. The cup would be a foregone conclusion and there wouldn't be a chance for lower guys to experience winning a championship.

A good lower league player wins a bunch against less skilled players who have never heard of him, ends up 32-8. He then qualifies for the A cup. He then has to play a top player that also qualified for the A cup, and gets raponed.

I think this set up would be great for getting people 40 games of regular season experience, but it falls short on providing a good competitive playoff structure for anyone since the top talent would (in theory) end up spread out over the 3 cups, preventing the traditional "c" level guys from getting a championship

A top guy loses half of his games, end up 20-20 bc he had to play top players. He then qualifies for the C Cup. He ends up in a 4 team playoff vs 3 lower skilled guys. The cup would be a foregone conclusion and there wouldn't be a chance for lower guys to experience winning a championship.

*clears throat* Yeah, like I said, I'm totally on board with this idea.

The problem is that certain players don't/can't finish their games, so your solution is to provide more flexibility in the schedue. Good idea, but I think what is causing some concerns for everyone is that the players have the choice and that will lead to gaming the system.

How about having a flexible schedule, but the flex is decided by you/chaos. So, season starts as normal, and once a problem arises with a team, instead of finding replacements, you update the schedule. 1-2 more games against existing players to make up the lost games. Perhaps this can be pre-determined, formulaically, to avoid complaints/conspiracies. (e.g. whoever you played once, you play twice, or 1 more game against your division, etc.)

Yes, a little more work for the admins, but this will achieve what I believe you are trying to accomplish, without the potential problems mentioned by everyone.

Edited by kingraph

Just make it a minimum that you must play each coach at least twice.

If I understand correctly, Halifax's new scenario wouldn't have any divisions -- just a free for all of coaches. So, instead of A, B-1, B-2, there would be one giant league with 30+ coaches, and newbies coming in whenever. Couldn't make a minimum.

I like my idea more and more. :P . Same format, with flex scheduling built in by the mods.

Carse has a good point - but I like the format because if it is structured like capitalism league it would allow new coaches to sign up and play games in a league right away before losing interest in 94 waiting for the next whatever season to roll around.

Can someone explain how the Capitalism league worked for those of us who were not around? The Capitalism league board doesn't have a pinned "About" thread that I can find.

http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/8807-capitalism-league-iii-gens-launch-registration-rules-and-rom/

Here are two scenarios that could be troublesome:

A good lower league player wins a bunch against less skilled players who have never heard of him, ends up 32-8. He then qualifies for the A cup. He then has to play a top player that also qualified for the A cup, and gets raponed.

I think this set up would be great for getting people 40 games of regular season experience, but it falls short on providing a good competitive playoff structure for anyone since the top talent would (in theory) end up spread out over the 3 cups, preventing the traditional "c" level guys from getting a championship

It's true, there would likley be some mismatches in the playoffs. But we get that anyways. In GENS A round 2, 3 of the 4 series were sweeps, and the other one was over in 5....and there was a few blow out scores along the way. Does that mean that next season in GENS A only the top 4 coaches to play in the playoffs?

And as for the C guys getting a championship, heck..this year's C finals has bee 4 weeks and counting. so apparently it's not important to everyone....and besides, if you were really concerned about new guys or weaker players getting a chance to win a championship, you wouldn't have joined the gens 2011 league to kill every one else's dreams B) If anything, there would be more opportunities to have champions with this system.

I do get your point. It would be best if could avoid the icestorms vs the joe blows in a best of 7. But I do feel that by shortening the regular season and by reducing the playoff rounds to two that we would have the guys in the playoffs that want to be there and a quicker end to the season.

The problem is that certain players don't/can't finish their games, so your solution is to provide more flexibility in the schedue. Good idea, but I think what is causing some concerns for everyone is that the players have the choice and that will lead to gaming the system.

How about having a flexible schedule, but the flex is decided by you/chaos. So, season starts as normal, and once a problem arises with a team, instead of finding replacements, you update the schedule. 1-2 more games against existing players to make up the lost games. Perhaps this can be pre-determined, formulaically, to avoid complaints/conspiracies. (e.g. whoever you played once, you play twice, or 1 more game against your division, etc.)

Yes, a little more work for the admins, but this will achieve what I believe you are trying to accomplish, without the potential problems mentioned by everyone.

If I understand correctly, it sounds like chaos and I would have to come up with a system to try and figure out who would play who depending on who dropped out. That's way too much work. It's too unpredictable as coaches can drop at any time. I wouldn't be interested in trying to come up with any kind of formula to figure out who those games should be played against because I would still receive complaints from coaches and have to try and justify our decisions.

Just make it a minimum that you must play each coach at least twice.

With the system I suggested, it's likely that more than 40 games would be played as their would likely be 30+ GENS signing up. The league should be left to 40 games.

If I understand correctly, Halifax's new scenario wouldn't have any divisions -- just a free for all of coaches. So, instead of A, B-1, B-2, there would be one giant league with 30+ coaches, and newbies coming in whenever. Couldn't make a minimum.

that is correct.

Yes but every now and then there's some guy who likes to get raped, and makes it a living.

It'l screw over everything. Just f**king play your games.

FPB, I totally agree. Everyone should play their games, but as history has shown us this will never happen.

Sounds like Capitalism League to me.

there is a small element of capitalism in terms of picking who you play and the freedom for guys to join whenever....but with capitalism you could play every coach that signed up and have a ton games played (I played 100+ in the first season)...plus you were given xtra points for playing games. This would not be the case.

Carse has a good point - but I like the format because if it is structured like capitalism league it would allow new coaches to sign up and play games in a league right away before losing interest in 94 waiting for the next whatever season to roll around.

I personally think if a guy wants to play, a spot should be made for him without restriction. I don't particularly like having to tell a new player that he has to wait until their is an opening to play in a league. Some, after being told that, I never hear from again.

24JUN94 Freshman Year H.S.

FINAL EXAM

TOPIC: Classic League INTERVENTION

Hi, my name is Comeback. C-O-M-E-B-A-C-K and I'm addicted to '94.

Step 1: Admit there are problems

Step 2: Identify the problems

Step 3: Discuss Solutions to the problems

Step 4: Implement the solutions

1) Admit there are problems

YES

2) Identify the problems

I believe the problems with classic league are as follows:

a) coaches not playing their games

B) "what we have here is, failure to communicate" (okay, why are my letter "b's" turning into smiley faces?)

c) lack of initiative

3) Discuss Solutions to the problems

I admit my answers to the problems might not fill all the gaps, but if I can thwart one single email to Halifax (I have sent him a few myself) then that is a step in the right direction.

a) coaches not playing their games

When I first signed up this year and was checking out the schedule, the first thing that had me confused was who was I playing first? Is this a set schedule? Every time I clicked on the page the first team on top would change. Then I figured it out. It doesn't matter who I play first, you are encouraged to play whoever and whenever. But, would implementing a set schedule in addition to the current method of free for all play improve the completion of games played?

- ex. say there are currently, I don't know, 5 deadlines. Each deadline is a week, you have to play 5 games in one week. Force these assholes to play. Obviously the current method only works if the other party is committed. Set up a schedule. Blackhawks HAVE TO play Montreal, Maple Leafs, Boston, Calgary, and Buffalo in week one. This way there is a guaranteed 5 games right there that have to be played or there will be forfeits. In addition to playing whoever whenever could add a couple more games played. Every coach could potentially have 5-7 games completed/played in week 1!

- it's not asking all that much to have one coach play another 1 time in 1 week for 10 minutes. Each coach posts in some thread (scheduling a game) under WEEK 1 the best available day(s) and time(s) for you to play for that week and confirm it. You are now holding yourself down to that availability. confirmed. If you pull a no show and the other coach is there, you forfeit. Simple as that. Or give the coach a week extension if something arises. If I give DCICON a 3 hour window Mon thru Fri from Noon to 3 p.m. and he AIM's me "I'm here" without a response from me, he can copy and paste that in scheduling a game to prove he was there and I wasn't. Now the ball is in my court to act to avoid the forfeit.

- well the more I read what I just wrote I see some problems... I tried lol. But this way you can avoid the guys dodging you. How is it fair for a coach to be committed and avail all the time (posting in forums 'where are you?', AIM messages, PM's) and have another coach pull the "sick card" for a week to avoid playing you and then that coach who is committed gets punished!?!?! That doesn't make any sense to me. How is that fair? It's not. What's stopping assholes from doing that? NOTHING. That is a major flaw. If a coach makes attempts to play he should not be punished because of one guy, potentially throwing his whole season down the drain, losing the President's trophy, losing home ice advantage, playing stronger teams in the playoffs, and flat out losing interest and the desire to finish... etc. Yeah that coach was me. But I'm over it and that could/probably has happened to somebody else.

B) "what we have here is, failure to communicate" (seriously, why does the little 'b' turn into a capital 'B' every time I preview post and then morph into a smiley face?)

This is also geared towards the forum in general but can only help with the many leagues being played. NHL94.com has changed from when I first followed it. I used to lose sleep over it but am over it now. I accept it for what it is. When I first signed up, people were polite, guys respected each other, people contributed to some of the dumbest threads ever posted looking back on them. But guys didn't judge you or care how much you knew about computers or the game itself or what your thoughts were on another member. A lot of you guys need to lighten up, seriously. Stop throwing controllers against the wall like your two, stop trying to F with other coaches on purpose, start respecting other people's opinions even if you think they are GA and you don't agree with them, stop the h.s. bullying ganging up on members who are trying to contribute- grow up be a man, debate topics without trying to put another member down, lose the ego, stop being hypocrites, admit when you are wrong (myself included), continue with the drunken posts, grow some thicker skin, and start replying to other coaches AIM'S. You don't have to "know me" to respond back to the Summit message I sent you. A coach doesn't need to be on your "friend's list" to give him the common courtesy if you are in for say.. Summit. That goes for Canada and one USA guy, not gonna mention names. You know who you are. You're that guy who goes offline immediately after receiving a message from a coach. You're that guy who can't respond back next time you logged in and saw you received 3 AIM messages while away. Lose the chip on your shoulder and don't blow off the "B" guy requesting one simple game from an "A" guy. I understand you're special and have many post counts and all your listed championships under your name. I don't give a fluck, I just want to play you.

- Resist the temptation to be that guy we all know and love. I work too damn hard like a lot of you do to come here and experience b.s. Think about outsiders looking in, noobs who are debating joining. Sorry, I really don't care if you're French, or if your Canadien, or from NJ with your horrible accent, or if you're a Canucks fan, or that you can't admit I passed you in the Illinois best player list j/k, or your skill level- I play a lot of noobs who I smoke but still play them to practice (not so much for me, but for them), I don't give a shite about your trash talking AIM messages after you lose, and I don't give two shites what names you call me after you lose as long as you play your games that's all I care about at the end of the day. I'll ignore you. When I say "I", I'm also speaking for all the coaches who might feel this way in some shape or form.

c) lack of initiative

I know I can be a pain in the dupa with all my computer questions, and messages to Halifax, and suggestions to Chaos but please understand I really appreciate everyone's input. Seems we have a lot of members here yet we have the same old guys replying. I understand not all of us are knowledgeable with computers to answer how to edit the game, I have no idea about that stuff either, but we can try to type more responses even if the question is somewhat answered because some of you guys are pretty funny with what you write. Now I'm not saying to type in every single thought that pops into your head like RWD but hey, it's cool. It's nice to see LAROBBIE being a nub and starting a league with probob and someone else helping I think, sorry forgot your name right now. That's pretty impressive to me. But I guess overall guys to a good job trying to help out. I think we should have more responses in this thread though.

- Remember guys we all have different schedules. Take that into consideration when someone requests you to play but you decline them because you played too much already today. If you have stuff to do that's one thing. But if you are declining because say you already played 3 '11 league games today and want to take a break, think about when are you really going to play next? Now you have to wait and see when you'll both be on at the same time. That could take days. Take the initiative to play and get it over with. Remember it's not you, it's guys like Halifax, Chaos, and LArobbie, and probob you are affecting dragging this on. If everyone took the extra 15 minutes out of their day when they can to help out another coach to play, then at the end of the day the league could have an additional 6 more total games played! Avoiding weeks of nonsense b.s.

4) Implement the solutions

yeah I have no idea. I'm over tired right now from working midnights and really can't believe how long this post is and how long it took me to write. But I felt compelled to post a reply in this thread since "I'm that guy" who sends love letters to halifax. I'm going to bed. Discuss.

Comeback, you sound a *little* cranky! ;)

As another guy who joined when you did, I just want to chime in with a slightly different perspective. I finished my 40 in classic (both B and the replacement games in A), played my playoff games, and also just finished the 22 games in the '11 league. It really wasn't a problem -- and I played guys in Mexico, France, Canda, East/West, etc. Note: I have a full-time job, wife + 2 kids (under 3). Having said that, I agree that it comes down to motivation. As much as I wish everyone had that same motivation/time to play their games, the reality is it's just not going to happen. This is a hobby, with no costs! (well in my case sleep). It sure is a whole lot more fun when you have dedicated guys playing, but forcing people to play specific players won't work. It'll be worse! I just accept that this is the case. All we can do is play our games and participate.

I think this idea from Halifax will be good for active players. I'm interested to see how it turns out...really wondering about people avoiding playing known tough A leaguers.

Regarding other players -- I too, don't like being ignored and think a courtesy response is nice. However, I must say most people I AIM DO respond and are usually cool with playing some games. Given my usual late-night availability, it's usually the same small number of folks I see online, so you may have a different crowd of people, who knows. I also haven't experienced the trashing of newbies on the forums. If it happened to me, perhaps I'm too dense to even realize it! :blink: .

Summit is almost impossible for USA B players. It's been talked about in the Summit thread. Just look at the "B players schedule" thread where you, me and Dan responded...lol.

Oh, and I'm still losing sleep. I hope to get to where you are.

Edited by kingraph

Comeback, you sound a *little* cranky! ;)

no man. not at all when i wrote this. just lost in translation as the movie goes. I just call things the way I see them. Doesn't mean I'm pissed. But I can see how it might sound like that. I'm just writing garbage to try to help out. Even though I know half the stuff I write makes no sense.

Well, I have been been keeping an eye on this thread and decide it's time to speak up.

The main problem with online leagues is people play when they want, not when they are available, and not when their opponents are available.

And the problem with people not playing others because they know they will get killed, they don't like playing the guy, whenever they lose they are sore losers, etc. People really need to grow up. It's a game, sure it is competitive, but it still is just a game. Be respectful, finish the blowout, play who you are scheduled to. We are a community, a group of guys who share a common interest, and the people who do this ruin it for everyone, not just the guy you are playing. Some guys are better than you, sure, but you aren't going to get any better playing the same guys who's skills are below yours all the time. Play the tough games, learn the opponents' ways, and maybe next time you play them you will stand a better chance. A lot of the veterans have no problems giving tips on how to get better if you just talk to them after a game, even if you got blown out 14-1.

And for the sore losers, losing a game 10-1 against a good player and losing a game 10-1 against a sucky guy is the same thing - a loss. Last time I checked, it happens in every sport, the worst teams still win against the best of them. Don't give me the "I shouldn't lose to guys like you" IM after the game - if you don't think you should, then maybe you should work on your game because you obviously lost to me, fair and square. (Quote courtesy of RedWingDevil) And stop sending us PMs with "This is what this guy did while playing. What are you going to do about it?"

In my opinion, the best guys in the league are not the ones that go 34-6, but the ones that go 2-38. The 2-38 guys are the ones that impress me, just for the fact that they get it. They are the ones that keep the league running, because it is easy to just leave after starting 0-15 and scoring 18 goals in those games compared to the 65 that are scored on you. They understand that to get better, they need to play. And them playing keeps the league running smoothly. Unfortunately, we see maybe 1 or 2 of these guys a season.

Teams dropping off the face of the earth and not answering IMs, etc. - We see this problem in Classic the most because it is a "beginner" league. Blitz and GDL are leagues that are basically set with the same guys playing them and maybe 1 or 2 teams added every season. All the newcomers sign up for Classic, thinking they are the best, realize they suck, get sick of losing, stop playing, and disappear. For all those who complained about getting games in this season, we had the most newcomers ever. A lot of them did just this - drop out. Hence, expecting this would happen, we made mixed leagues, with newbs and veterans, so that a whole league didn't suffer from games not being played. Sure, we can cut down on this easily, by banning newcomers, but then, how does the community grow? I would say maybe 2 out of every 10 that sign up to be in the league work out to stay for the long term (more than 1 season).

As far as solutions, sure we could do the 'play who you want" idea, but I don't think it will work. You will still have a situation where "I don't want to play this guy because I will lose and I don't want to tarnish my 14-1 record". I think coaches will do this a lot, and then you have the same problem - some guys not playing others , and 40 games not being played because everyone wants to play guys they could beat on, not guys they will lose to. Having the set schedule in Classic prevents this, in a way. You have to play who is on your schedule.

The only solution I see is to put people with the same availability in the same leagues. Everyone posts at least 2 or 3 days and times when they are available, and we set up the leagues like that. I don't mind the "Chicago vs. Chicago" thing, but if we could I would rather each sub-league be run with 1 coach per team. This could hopefully cut down on the problem.

We could also assign points for GP, but then that isn't how it was done back in '94 and hence wouldn't be "Classic".

I also don't mind the "you play this coach and this coach by the end of this week" idea. That's a good one. I think that's how GDL does it?

As far as new guys coming in midway through the season looking to join, maybe we could set up an "exhibition" league to keep those players interested until coaches need to be replaced. The year after I joined, there were tons of leagues going on at the same time, so there was always leagues to join. Now, with only about 4 or 5 serious leagues running and them not all running at the same time, there's nothing for the new guys to sign up for while waiting. It would be nice to see more action for the new guys.

And congrats to NHL 2011 league - you guys are doing a great job running it! Next season, I'll set you guys up so you can use nhl94online.com and don't have to worry about keeping track of the records, etc.

And congrats to NHL 2011 league - you guys are doing a great job running it! Next season, I'll set you guys up so you can use nhl94online.com and don't have to worry about keeping track of the records, etc.

That would be awesome! Seeing all my score keeping errors start to pop up this week, realising a lot of guy's goal differences are incorrect and the fact ProBob has posted the scorers chart once all season shows we would benefit greatly from not having those responsibilities! lol.........i'd probably get a lot more of the work i'm actually paid for done during the day too!

As for this discussion, i'm in just about total agreement with your points. I love the format of the classic in that you play a set schedule & in different divisions.........like a real league. It feels official. Important. If you were able to play whoever you felt like it would lose that.......and the ability to shaft the top players would be a huge problem!

Why not say "these are your games this week:" Everyone signed up right? Everyone's meant to be available. What's the problem? I think that would work better than the current system. You could still play extras & get finished early if you wanted but stating specific guys to play against would stop the avoidance tactics some seem to have.

An exhibition league for guys waiting to play is a must, so they don't lose interest being on standby for a fortnight.

In reality nothing is going to stop guys dropping. Unfortunately what i've noticed is that a huge number of guys take themselves far too seriously! I'm 34 years old. I'm here through my love for this game from when I was a kid. I have a 2 year old, a fiance & lots of bills to pay along with a full time job..........there are priorities in my life that rate higher than NHL '94. I'm just reliving my youth here & enjoying recapturing that feeling the game gave me. Doing it retro baby! lol

Don't get me wrong. I count myself as a good player, and I hate losing, especially against the guys I think are my level............but I take an online league for what it is - FUN!

I hope to continue improving (I've made giant leaps in the 3 or 4 months i've been here!), and play in finals, but I hope i'm never that guy that starts dodging out of playing a finals series 'cos he's lost the first 2 games and doesn't want to get swept! RIDICULOUS!! I played Carse for the first time the other day. I really enjoyed it. Wanted to see where I place against him. Want to play him regularly so I can reach that level & compete against him. I hope i'll play some finals against him in the future, but I tell you what, if I do & i'm getting my arse handed to me you won't see me running! I'll be the one saying "Great, I played a finals. Be back to get you next season to go one better!"

Seriously, what sort of loser are you if the games mean that much to you? and why would you disrespect all those guys that would love the chance to play in an A, B or C finals series by just hiding under a rock somewhere until people forget about you?!!..........GO OUT TO A BAR, DRINK SOME BEER, TALK TO SOME WOMEN...................AND GET LAID FOR GOD'S SAKE!!!!

If you're dropping out of pure frustration when you go 4-0 down, or going missing for a week because you think you're going to lose that playoff series, or ignoring AIM messages to play because you're 2-15-0 and had enough of the league you were ultra-committed to 4 weeks ago.................seriously. GROW UP YOU GOD DAMN LOSER!! If you're breaking TV's, getting into a rage in front of your partner or spending whole evenings pissed off due to the results of an online game league then maybe it's best you take a break from NHL94.com! Maybe you're exactly the person that needs to be saved from themselves and taken away from the computer!

My attitude is this - The one single act I could perform that would confirm me as a definite loser is if I committed to something, and then didn't follow through on that committment. I've signed up for Classic, i'm going to finish Classic.......regardless of if i'm 0-40. Grow up man if that's important to you!

My opinion is that everyone here has a responsibility to this great game we all love - To help this community grow, and show respect to the site & to the game. Help newbies to have an enjoyable experience. Give them tips after you've trounced them. Don't trash talk to people who may end up thinking "why should I be listening to this s**t you loser?" and walk. Help everyone to get better, so they stick around. So the community gets stronger. Don't think about yourself. Think about nhl94.com and growing it so this game lives on long after you've put your controller down!

.....................can I stop now Comeback, or is your post still longer than this one?.................i've got lots more where this came from you know!............

Edited by LA Robbie

As a rookie SNES player, now awaiting my sophmore season, I have limited experience with these leagues, but I'll share my opinion.

I really enjoyed the structure of a real season that the Classic league gives. I agree with chaos's analysis. IT would be fantastic to have a matchup based deadline system. Say, every week you have to play a pair of games against three particular opponents. This will force the players to keep in touch more regularly and plan their schedules ahead of time, instead of playing whoever whenever, all the time.

It will also keep the regular season schedule in check. So that the situation is avoided when a few teams have finshed their season while the rest struggle to catch up because of a few "poor connectors" (ie people who don't meet deadlines and don't reply to IMs, etc.)

The season will be slower paced for some, but would run its course over the same period of time or possible in less time, as it would be more efficient.

I think what the league needs for newcomers, both during a season and all year round, is a competitive ladder system. This is most often used in Tennis clubs. You could Goolge "Tennis Ladder" for more information if you are unfamiliar. We could have two ladders, one for for each general skill level, or even just one ladder reserved for players who want to improve their skills.

Another tactic would be to set up some kind of AIM group, so that newcomers can easily join into a big pool of players. This giving them more opportunities for exhibition games. I'm not sure if this is readily possible, or if it means that the whole league has to be more aware of new players so that we can all add them quickly. Maybe Halifax can send a mass IM reading something like this: "New SNES (or GENS) player, AIMNAME. Add him (or her (LOL!))"

All in all, having gone through one season, I think the total experience is great. Although there is room for improvement, for the most part, the league runs really well. So keep up the great work.

Thanks and peace.

I think what the league needs for newcomers, both during a season and all year round, is a competitive ladder system. This is most often used in Tennis clubs. You could Goolge "Tennis Ladder" for more information if you are unfamiliar. We could have two ladders, one for for each general skill level, or even just one ladder reserved for players who want to improve their skills.

An always ongoing, year-round ladder system would be awesome, and a great idea for rookies to join while they are waiting for a league place.

That way there's also a form of competition for everybody to play in whenever, wherever during off seasons too

I've always sort of oddly wished that nhl94.com would get something like this going on the main page where community members could start and run their own leagues/large tournaments with the very simple basic database system we use for classic. Maybe more people would take intiative to start up a league rather than sit around and complain about the ones that they are in.

I've always sort of oddly wished that nhl94.com would get something like this going on the main page where community members could start and run their own leagues/large tournaments with the very simple basic database system we use for classic. Maybe more people would take intiative to start up a league rather than sit around and complain about the ones that they are in.

Yep, this is the goal. I'm working on admin pages to make it easier for anyone running a league to use the database. Halfway there, will have this done by the end of the summer.