NHL'94 Forums

Best Way to Score

A question that has been bugging me my whole nhl 94 career, what is the ULTIMATE best way to score? Me and my friends have many arguments about it. And i personally believe in the wrap around effort, difficult at first, but once mastered, the most satisfying way to score. What are everyones arguments about this contriversial topic

-Badger

Depends on what you mean by "best". Most efficient? You mention satisfying, so that would be unique to each individual. I'd argue the one timer from wing to center is most efficient, while pass shot is most satisfying.

Some SNES/Genesis differences here...

On the Genesis, there isn't really a wrap-around in 94.

The lamest way to score in 94 is the walk-across / crease-cut.

The Ultimate way of scoring is the keg toss. To do this, you skate behind the net, then press the "A" button to flip the puck over the net, which freezes the goalie on the post, then you skate to the front of the net and grab the puck and shoot it in. Extremely difficult to pull off, extremely embarrassing to the other guy if it works!

Some SNES/Genesis differences here...

On the Genesis, there isn't really a wrap-around in 94.

The lamest way to score in 94 is the walk-across / crease-cut.

The Ultimate way of scoring is the keg toss. To do this, you skate behind the net, then press the "A" button to flip the puck over the net, which freezes the goalie on the post, then you skate to the front of the net and grab the puck and shoot it in. Extremely difficult to pull off, extremely embarrassing to the other guy if it works!

I have never seen anyone do the keg toss better than Swos. The first time he did it against me my jaw dropped.

Edited by dcicon5148

I have never seen anyone do the keg toss better than Swos. The first time he did it against me my jaw dropped.

I tried to block him from coming around to the front of the net with my D once, but the puck hit my D in the shoulder and went straight in...

/facepalm

(it should be in my GDL8 LA Kings highlight video that I'll make when the season is over...)

Of course i only play the SNES. i've only ever successfully pulled off one keg toss, and i've never been able to do it again since we started using manual goalies. i can honestly say the MOST satisfying was that keg toss, but realistically, the wrap around is really the tsn turning point for me in a game. followed by some demolishing hits to the other team after the play. No team can recover from that.

-Badge

The flip from the half boards: skate to about as deep as the dot on your back hand and tap C, aiming for top left corner. A player with a weaker shot will 'lob' the puck and the goalie generally fucks it up. Hard to master but oh so satisfying.

Lamest=CGACCC

Carse's Gay Ass Cross Crease Cut

especially when the score is already 6-0....

ill back up crease cuts as the gayest thing to ever exist in NHL94...

most satisfying way to score - well do something no one has seen yet :P

The flip from the half boards: skate to about as deep as the dot on your back hand and tap C, aiming for top left corner. A player with a weaker shot will 'lob' the puck and the goalie generally fucks it up. Hard to master but oh so satisfying.

I have (completely accidentally) done something like this once but awesomer... it too will be in my GDL8 video..

Making a pass to a wing on one of the corners, then he goes to the back of the net or 'The Office' if you're so inclined and then make the pass to the center for a one-timer. Nifty way to score a goal, but difficult to master due to having to use the positioning and the wing's passing ability.

Edited by RedWingDevil

Score with goalie. Get the goalie the puck and make a forward pass/ pass shot and use your players to clear a path. I've done that twice and it's funny to watch. Has a low success rate though

• 2 weeks later...

Depends on what you mean by "best". Most efficient? You mention satisfying, so that would be unique to each individual. I'd argue the one timer from wing to center is most efficient, while pass shot is most satisfying.

The pass shot is so satisfying because often they come off the breakaway or 1 on 1 which builds up so much excitement. To me though, the most satisfying is definitely the keg toss because it sort of like the tea bag of the chel 94 world. But by far the most efficient, i have to agree, is wing to center one timer, so long as the center has a bit of an angle on the goalie rather than just straight up on him; thus giving him the ability to go top cheds.

-Cheez

• 4 weeks later...

The pass shot is so satisfying because often they come off the breakaway or 1 on 1 which builds up so much excitement. To me though, the most satisfying is definitely the keg toss because it sort of like the tea bag of the chel 94 world. But by far the most efficient, i have to agree, is wing to center one timer, so long as the center has a bit of an angle on the goalie rather than just straight up on him; thus giving him the ability to go top cheds.

-Cheez

i'd imagine this would be satisfying, but have you ever actually gone top cheds fuhsta? because in recent gameplay. a blowout and/or shutout was the final result. call me old fashion but can't a guy just go b-down or score on an good ol fashion trickler these days without having a player similar to fuhsta yell "top cheds" everytime he has a shot on net?

- biz-nadge

....On the Genesis, there isn't really a wrap-around in 94.

The lamest way to score in 94 is the walk-across / crease-cut....

how are these different aside from the setup? do you mean wrap-around where you stuff it short side as soon as you can? regardless, I think that all of these types of plays are actually harder in SNES, as the goaltender doesn't get stuck to the posts nearly as easily.

Edited by trudatman

how are these different aside from the setup? do you mean wrap-around where you stuff it short side as soon as you can? regardless, I think that all of these types of plays are actually harder in SNES, as the goaltender doesn't get stuck to the posts nearly as easily.

The wraparound is the short-side wraparound (like vancouver's finals OT goal ~13 seconds in this year or Doug Gilmour's goal in 93 against the Blues).

In '93, the goalie would get stuck on the post with some kind of AI bug and you could slip it in before he recovered and got over. You can't do that in 94, the goalie is too quick.

The walk-across takes advantage of a really lame bit of goalie AI on the sega where he just lies down as you skate past. It's the goal you use against the CPU when you are somehow losing, since it's pretty much an automatic, no-skill goal. You can try to predict it and start pressing the goalie button early so you have him in time, but then you are giving up defensive control when you aren't even sure he's going to go for the walkacross. I missed the playoffs in GDL by one point once by refusing to shoot on an accidental walkacross in OT :P. Unfortunately, this aversion also once cost me a goal in REAL hockey, where I had a good opportunity to walkacross, but instead tried a shortside backhand up at the top corner.. as if that would work... i think that puck is lost in the rafters of that arena somewhere.

super rush with phil housley

I missed the playoffs in GDL by one point once by refusing to shoot on an accidental walkacross in OT.

Sucks you missed the playoffs, but you should be a lock to win the Lady Byng. :P

It IS infuriating when the goalie takes a nap on the walk across -- you have to switch to manual REALLY early on. I think the crease cut and the purposeful ram-the-goalie move annoy me the most.

Are the pass shot when you press the pass button instead of shoot button?

I've seen a few videos on youtube titled pass shot... I usually do that goal but using the shoot button, so I never understood if pressing the pass button is more efficient? :P

I tried a few times last game I played and most shots (using pass button) just went outside the far post :(

Edited by perkabrod

Are the pass shot when you press the pass button instead of shoot button?

I've seen a few videos on youtube titled pass shot... I usually do that goal but using the shoot button, so I never understood if pressing the pass button is more efficient? :P

I tried a few times last game I played and most shots (using pass button) just went outside the far post :(

Right, you pass at the goal instead of shooting.

The pass shot is really effective when you get good at it. It's very fast, and when you are good at it, it's very accurate. It definitely takes a lot of practice, though. If you are stationary or skating straight up (or down), it will go perfectly straight. If you are skating on an angle, then it will be influenced by your sideways momentum, which could be why you are missing the net.

The give n' go one-timer. Player A passes to player B for what looks like an easy one-timer goal, BUT player B passes it BACK to player A for an even easier tap in because the goalie and D have committed to Player B.

Yeah, I love that one. Clap-Clap-Bang and siren goes off.