NHL'94 Forums

Who has the worst fans in nhl?

hokkeefan

Proof please, I never heard of such mockery of another region in this city other than New York, LA, and Pittsburgh.

Idk. But on the NFL network they agreed one of the most popular players in the NFL will always be the Eagles' backup QB.

That was 50 years ago dude. When you get something relatively recent, then get back to me.

booed.

santa.

2 generations can not erase having booed santa. that's a good 5 generationer.

:D just kidding, though. my real point was -- how do you define a good or a bad fan? I think they were looking at it like Carse's joke, that the people are bad people (threw snowballs at a guy with possibly a broken neck). not that they are dedicated and knowledgeable fans.

I think and all and all Cleveland wins no contest. Even without an NHL team.

All their teams suck so bad and they keep showing up.

And you say this on definition that they have the worst luck I've ever seen in any sports in general or because they just suck?

Whatever, at least we don't riot when we lose, or win. That is just plain wrong.

p.s. Partying in the streets and rioting are two totally different things.

Yeah, tell that to my Philly friends who had their cars flipped over in the streets after the Phillies won the World Series...

:D just kidding, though. my real point was -- how do you define a good or a bad fan?

How's this as a start for bad fan criteria:

-Poor knowledge of the game

-Pick fights

-Take chirping of opposing fans too seriously/personally

-Boo their own players

-Do the wave

-Can't hold their liquor

-Bring their ugly, sloppy, girlfriends

-Are more excited about the "WHICH SECTION IS LOUDER?!" game during commercials than the game itself

-Wear suits in the platinum good sections

-Order merlot instead of a beer in the platinum sections

-Don't cheer

-Get into heated arguments with their friends that the Tim Horton hanging from the rafters is "NOT the doughnut guy" (my personal favourite)

-Are racist

-Only watch the game when their team is good

-Call the sport "ice hockey"

Any additions?

How's this as a start for bad fan criteria:

-Poor knowledge of the game

-Pick fights

-Take chirping of opposing fans too seriously/personally

-Boo their own players

-Do the wave

-Can't hold their liquor

-Bring their ugly, sloppy, girlfriends

-Are more excited about the "WHICH SECTION IS LOUDER?!" game during commercials than the game itself

-Wear suits in the platinum good sections

-Order merlot instead of a beer in the platinum sections

-Don't cheer

-Get into heated arguments with their friends that the Tim Horton hanging from the rafters is "NOT the doughnut guy" (my personal favourite)

-Are racist

-Only watch the game when their team is good

-Call the sport "ice hockey"

Any additions?

Philly according to this:

-false

-true

-true

-true

-wtf, that's a good thing

-true

-idk i dont have one, but probably

-false

-false

-false

-false

-canadian criteria, does not apply

-false

-false

-false

Only 5/14, not bad imo

Philly according to this:

-false

-true

-true

-true

-wtf, that's a good thing

-true

-idk i dont have one, but probably

-false

-false

-false

-false

-canadian criteria, does not apply

-false

-false

-false

Only 5/14, not bad imo

:mellow: ....lol

hes right about the wave tho, hows that a bad thing? Because yo havent seen one in Toronto in the past....40 years?

:mellow: ....lol

hes right about the wave tho, hows that a bad thing? Because yo havent seen one in Toronto in the past....40 years?

Almost - they did it in the preseason last year when they let in people for free.

The wave is kinda gay. It's one thing to do it during commercials timeouts, but people who do it during the game don't care what's happening on the ice/field. In other words, a bad fan. This year during a Jays game I was at, someone tried to get the wave going in the 9th inning, in a one-run game. People supported him. I think if you don't want to pay attention during crunchtime in a game, you're a pretty shitty fan.

Also, the wave is the product of some 19 year-old who just had his first beer and is looking for attention.

• 3 weeks later...

Montreal

Hey at least WE only riot when WE win :lol:

neat idea. it's kind of possible, as there are groups of three that repeat and could be animated to put their arms up in order. I was just working on that guy whose hat changes colors....

Edited by trudatman

• 3 months later...

I went to the Senators/Leafs game on Saturday in Ottawa. 65%-75% of the fans were wearing Leafs jerseys. No exaggeration.

Unlike American cities, who just don't care about hockey, Ottawa let their building get overrun by opposing fans. Pathetic.

I would like to nominate Sens fans as the worst in the NHL. Smoz, you could probably add some insight on this one.

I went to the Senators/Leafs game on Saturday in Ottawa. 65%-75% of the fans were wearing Leafs jerseys. No exaggeration.

Unlike American cities, who just don't care about hockey, Ottawa let their building get overrun by opposing fans. Pathetic.

I would like to nominate Sens fans as the worst in the NHL. Smoz, you could probably add some insight on this one.

Even NHL.com is confused

yPhcv.jpg

t43w2.png

^ the game was in Ottawa, not T.O! (Toronto)

(ok, it takes me a while to figure out my actual answer, but hang in there..)

When I was a kid, a few years before the Sens came back, almost everyone I knew seemed to be a Habs fan. Of my group of friends from kindergarten to grade 3, who would play tennis ball 'hockey' every recess, it was about 8 Canadiens fans and 2 Leafs fans. When they were goalie, they would pretend to be Patrick Roy. I was Allan Bester (and probably just as tall). The Leafs had about 52 points the first year I was a fan, and I have no idea why I was a fan, I just was. In car racing, I was a fan of Darrel Waltrip and Michael Andretti, guys who won every other race, but in hockey I was a Leafs fan. My parents weren't really hockey fans, but they were more Canadiens fans than Leafs fans.

Habs games were on TV all the time (although often in French, but I went to a French immersion school... just realizing this now, but maybe that explains all the Habs fans among my friends, though we were all English-speakers outside of school..). I would see a Leafs game in the tv schedule and tune in and it would be Bob Ross painting or a gardening show, instead. Maybe that sort of slighting creates a bit of extra obsession.

Now that the Sens are back... where are the all the Habs fans? Do the Habs games get overrun by Canadiens fans? I think a lot of them just became Sens fans. Also, Montreal is a lot closer than Toronto if you want to go to a home game for your favourite team, and probably easier to get tickets for. Tickets for Ottawa games against Toronto are more expensive, too, so unless you really care about seeing Toronto in Ottawa, you might as well get tickets for another opponent.

I don't really have anything against Sens fans (or the lack thereof). It's a relatively small city with a lot to do and spend money on besides hockey. As the capital, a lot of people move here, rather than are born here (although the same could be said for the Toronto area). There are some really great, dedicated fans, but Ottawa isn't the most passionate city around. When I go to a concert in Ottawa, I feel kind of bad for the artist because the crowd doesn't seem all that into it. It's not that they don't appreciate the act, it's just not very Ottawaish to be loud about it.

5 hours away there are 5 million people (vs Ottawa's 1 million) who can't get Leafs home tickets. There are 100,000 people a couple hours away in Kingston who are probably all Leafs fans.

So, I don't really think it's the fault of the Ottawa fans that they get overrun when the Leafs are visiting. It's largely numbers.

Another thing could be the mental aspect of being a fan of a team that has come so close to making the finals, but never quite made it. It creates an obsession.. If you're a Canadiens fan, you got your cup in 1993 and I think after that you just kind of go, "well.. that was nice," and then move on because your team has won, while as a Leafs fan you still look back on the Gilmour days and the Sundin days and want that little bit more. The Sens made the finals that one year, but I think the way they lost was a bit disheartening (instead of having Gretzky or Kerry Fraser to point at and say, if not for that guy...), and then the team just fell apart.

But anyway... I don't really go to games [Haha, a guy at work here just passing by my desk popped in and said, "hey, we're doing well, eh?!" We don't know each other, we just know we're both Leafs fans]. Anyway, I don't go to many games (when I did go to Sens games, I'd get the tickets cheap through work and go to 2-3 games per year, 1 or 2 against the Leafs, but I wouldn't usually wear a Leafs sweater), so, I don't know, maybe I'm not really that great of a fan to be weighing in on the best/worst fans!

Grand scheme of things, pro sports team fandom is kind of silly. It's just guys playing a game. Thinking that stuff in the place you are born or live is inherently better than stuff anywhere else is a terrible way to think. 90+% of the players aren't even from the city they're playing for. To me, blindly allegiant, obsessive fans who take it too seriously are the worst kind, and Ottawa fans don't really fit this definition. The worst fans are the ones who see you wearing a Leafs shirt on the street and yell, "Leafs suck!" and mean it and want you to feel bad. Or those Bruins fans heckling the Habs fan in the bathroom, or the Flyer fans paying a homeless guy to harass some Ranger fans then the Flyer fans beat up the Rangers fans when they call them out on it. Wasn't impressed with some of the Ottawa fans at the All Star Draft, though ("take Belak!"). Leafs fans aren't always the greatest, either, booing Brian Kilrea (long-time OHL coach of the Ottawa 67's with about 2 vagillion wins)

So, to me, the worst fans are simply the worst people, who use or are are inspired by sports to be as%holes, not the fans who aren't the most dedicated.

EDIT:

Went back and checked out hokkee's first post in this thread, and he's right on... I can't stand reading TSN comments, they're almost as bad as youtube comments.

• 3 weeks later...

If the HF boards are a true example of a fan base then it's San Jose fans and it's not even close. Just read their game day threads. According to them I don't think San Jose has ever deserved to lose a game. It's always reffing. They come up with some other clever ways that their team gets screwed over though. The last game the Blues played the Sharks their fans were saying the Blues made the ice bad on purpose so that the Sharks couldn't break out quickly. It's not like one guy came up with that and was criticized. They were all pretty much saying that was the biggest reason they lost.

But all their game day threads in which they lose turn into this whine fest where no amount of cheese could ever solve the problem.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been checking out tsn,sportsnet and cbc forums and holy fack !!!I wanna go fight someone after reading that s**t lol.The posts can be about tor or mont or edm and it all comes back to gillis being an idiot or the canucks choking again or mon or edm winning cups 30 years ago.There is sooooo much hate between the provinces in Canada, let alone the usa /canadian thing going on.Can't everyone just be a little bit positive and not wanting to kill their neighbor? lol(I am going to start being positive RIGHT NOW!,enough of the hating)You buncha dirty rat bastards lol.goodnight or goodmorning B)

How do you define "worst"? Fans who don't show up? Or fans who show up and start fights etc.?