NHL'94 Forums

Picking Teams Draft Style

roccopan

I wasn't around when the teams were being picked, but i'm just curious for next time around... any chance of picking teams draft style starting with the teams who finished last all the way to first, then finally the new comers picking last??

Just a thought, maybe make things a little more competative. Because isn't that what it's all about? :D

I wasn't around when the teams were being picked, but i'm just curious for next time around... any chance of picking teams draft style starting with the teams who finished last all the way to first, then finally the new comers picking last??

Just a thought, maybe make things a little more competative. Because isn't that what it's all about? :D

OOOOOOOOOOOOH YEAHHHHHHHHHHH, CAN U DIG IT!!!!!!

SNAP INTO A SLIMJIM

• 2 weeks later...

Ya, I think everyone likes the draft idea best, the problem is, it's alot of work. I mean, someone would have to re-program every team.

Here's an idea I posted in the suggestions section which would address the problem of unbalanced teams in a much easier way...

"Another alternative is to basically have one division of 24 guys, where the regular season consists of 46 games, each guy plays each other guy twice, once at home once away. For these games, you can pick any team you want to play as. However, you can only play as each team a total of two times during the regular season. So everyone at one point or another will have to play as Chicago, San Jose, Detroit, Toronto, etc twice. For each game, the away team has to announce which team they're playing as first, so the home team can see what team their opponent will be before selecting their team. There will be alot of strategy in your selections, if you're playing a weak player, will you use a good team and go for the sure win, or will you try to beat them with an Ottawa? Likewise, if you're playing a top player, will you give them your best with a Chicago, or just burn a bad team on them and hope for a miracle? We can also add a rule that you can't pick the same team as your opponent to keep things more interesting.

For the playoffs, we'd have the top 8 teams participate. So 3 rounds with a maximum of 21 games (if each series goes 7). For the entire duration of the playoffs you can only use each NHL team once. So if you're in a tight first round series and have to use Chicago in a game 7 you won't be able to use them for the rest of the playoffs. Again, lots of strategy in what teams you pick and when you choose to play as them."

Ya, I think everyone likes the draft idea best, the problem is, it's alot of work. I mean, someone would have to re-program every team.

Oh wow, you totally missed my point... maybe I wasnt clear.

I meant...

We choose the team we use not by preference of who wants who, but rather on whoever finished last, up to first.

So if I finished last, I would draft a better team next season, thus eliminates the problem of the best players using the best teams and giving those of up who are less skilled somewhat of a chance.

• 3 weeks later...

I had an idea for picking the teams when the season starts!

We can determinate the order like this:

the first team who finish to play all they schedule game gonna have the first choice.

the second will the second choice.... etc

the last choice will go to the team who play less games!

I know that this avantage me this season, but we can start this for the next season!!

This is a good motivation for good player.

This is my opinion! :P

JotaC

I had an idea for picking the teams when the season starts!

We can determinate the order like this:

the first team who finish to play all they schedule game gonna have the first choice.

the second will the second choice.... etc

the last choice will go to the team who play less games!

I know that this avantage me this season, but we can start this for the next season!!

This is a good motivation for good player.

This is my opinion! :D

JotaC

yah except most people that want to finish cant because others never finish their games [ANAHIEM/QUEBEC] no names being mentioned..

so your theory is pretty shitty

we could do an order just like the nhl where the teams that finish the best [this also takes into consideration the playoffs] would get lower picks for the teams..

which would be a much better way to do it...also for next season keep it at 20 teams since there are like 4 guys who slack off and cant win with bad teams..Why join with a bad team and then not finish the season did you really expect to win?

pretty much same thing rocco is saying

So if I finished last, I would draft a better team next season, thus eliminates the problem of the best players using the best teams and giving those of up who are less skilled somewhat of a chance.

yah except most people that want to finish cant because others never finish their games [ANAHIEM/QUEBEC] no names being mentioned..

so your theory is pretty shitty

we could do an order just like the nhl where the teams that finish the best [this also takes into consideration the playoffs] would get lower picks for the teams..

which would be a much better way to do it...also for next season keep it at 20 teams since there are like 4 guys who slack off and cant win with bad teams..Why join with a bad team and then not finish the season did you really expect to win?

pretty much same thing rocco is saying

a reverse draft order is fine with me, but I would prefer that seasons be kept on the short side if we do that. I'd rather not have to play 40 games with a team I don't like...but 20-30 is fine I guess.

a reverse draft order is fine with me, but I would prefer that seasons be kept on the short side if we do that. I'd rather not have to play 40 games with a team I don't like...but 20-30 is fine I guess.

What does it have to do with "like"?

I mean really, not to be a dick, but so called "good players" only like the strong fast teams so they can beat up on the weak using the same moves over and over.

But at least if the good players use the lesser teams, there might actually be some competition in the league.

What does it have to do with "like"?

I mean really, not to be a dick, but so called "good players" only like the strong fast teams so they can beat up on the weak using the same moves over and over.

But at least if the good players use the lesser teams, there might actually be some competition in the league.

video games are fun, and I have more fun playing with certain teams...that's all I was saying.

video games are fun, and I have more fun playing with certain teams...that's all I was saying.

Totally agree.

Just think about how I feel getting stuck with crappy NJ and being a crappy player to start with! :girl:

Sort of a double negative.

Totally agree.

Just think about how I feel getting stuck with crappy NJ and being a crappy player to start with! :girl:

Sort of a double negative.

I agree in principle that letting the best players pick the best/their favored teams creates a system where the best players will always come out on top. question is, is that a bad thing? or should we be creating a league whose goal is closer competition and parity?

that's really the issue here - once (if!) people can agree on the goal of the league, then figuring out the draft is much easier.

I agree in principle that letting the best players pick the best/their favored teams creates a system where the best players will always come out on top. question is, is that a bad thing?

Definately a bad thing. A good player is still competitive with a bad team. (look at SJ, TB, HFD, NYI) A bad player, with a bad team, is just plain F@#ed.

I'm down for whatever can level the playing field.

A good player is still competitive with a bad team.

That was more or less my point. I know if I was good, I would totally use Ottawa and pull the goalie, just to show off!