NHL'94 Forums

Questions from a new member

Hello everyone!

Swedish NHL '94 fan here. I've been playing the Genesis version, on cartridge, for many years now, and, during times when I haven't had my console ready, by Gens, too. This forum, website, and the fact that you can play online, is a completely new relevation for me, though.

I'm also stunned by the fact that there's still a lively discussion board about this wonderful game!

Some questions and thoughts from my end, which I have built up over the years (and never thought I'd be able to discuss with anyone else, as I thought I was the last dude on earth to play this game):

1. Can a player ever get injured when the clock's not rolling?

2. When you pull off a succesful tackle against someone who has the puck, you get "cheers" or "boos" from the audience, depending on if you're playing home and away. Sometimes, this happens also when you don't actually pull the guy to the ground, but just win the puck over, leaving the tackled player still standing. Thus, it's still considered a "succesful" tackle by the game.

Now, I've noticed you cannot tackle the same player twice, you've got to tackle someone else "in between". But does this rule apply also to tackles where you don't actually slam the guy to the ground?

3. Has anyone else noticed the sweet bug that lets you pull a tackled player of your own up again just by doing a one-timer pass to him?

4. Can the goalie ever get credited for a goal? Or get a penalty? Get injured?

5. What's the "weight bug"?

6. What's the difference between the Genesis and Sega CD versions? Sega CD never reached Sweden, I don't think.

7. And, finally, I've collected a number of cool Gens videos over the years, is there any way I can convert them and upload them to YouTube or this forum?

Hello everyone!

Swedish NHL '94 fan here. I've been playing the Genesis version, on cartridge, for many years now, and, during times when I haven't had my console ready, by Gens, too. This forum, website, and the fact that you can play online, is a completely new relevation for me, though.

I'm also stunned by the fact that there's still a lively discussion board about this wonderful game!

Some questions and thoughts from my end, which I have built up over the years (and never thought I'd be able to discuss with anyone else, as I thought I was the last dude on earth to play this game):

2. When you pull off a succesful tackle against someone who has the puck, you get "cheers" or "boos" from the audience, depending on if you're playing home and away. Sometimes, this happens also when you don't actually pull the guy to the ground, but just win the puck over, leaving the tackled player still standing. Thus, it's still considered a "succesful" tackle by the game.

Now, I've noticed you cannot tackle the same player twice, you've got to tackle someone else "in between". But does this rule apply also to tackles where you don't actually slam the guy to the ground?

3. Has anyone else noticed the sweet bug that lets you pull a tackled player of your own up again just by doing a one-timer pass to him?

6. What's the difference between the Genesis and Sega CD versions? Sega CD never reached Sweden, I don't think.

7. And, finally, I've collected a number of cool Gens videos over the years, is there any way I can convert them and upload them to YouTube or this forum?

there are one-timers in football?????

Partial responses from me below:

1. Can a player ever get injured when the clock's not rolling? No, not that I've ever seen in '94.

Now, I've noticed you cannot tackle the same player twice, you've got to tackle someone else "in between". But does this rule apply also to tackles where you don't actually slam the guy to the ground? Not sure here

3. Has anyone else noticed the sweet bug that lets you pull a tackled player of your own up again just by doing a one-timer pass to him? Yes

4. Can the goalie ever get credited for a goal? Or get a penalty? Get injured? Goal, yes. Penalty, no. Injured, no.

5. What's the "weight bug"? In the Gensis game, a players checking ability is solely determined by their weight (not checking, aggressiveness, etc.). However, the LOWER the weight, the BETTER the checking. Meaning, lightweight guys like Theo Fleury are checking monsters! This is a bug, since it should have been heavier guys with better checking. There is a thread on this here: http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/3083-weight-bug-in-gens/

6. What's the difference between the Genesis and Sega CD versions? Sega CD never reached Sweden, I don't think. Perhaps someone else can answer this -- I never played the CD version either.

7. And, finally, I've collected a number of cool Gens videos over the years, is there any way I can convert them and upload them to YouTube or this forum? What format are they in now? YouTube is easy if your videos are already digital.

Welcome to the site!

Hello everyone!

1. Can a player ever get injured when the clock's not rolling? No

2. When you pull off a succesful tackle against someone who has the puck, you get "cheers" or "boos" from the audience, depending on if you're playing home and away. Sometimes, this happens also when you don't actually pull the guy to the ground, but just win the puck over, leaving the tackled player still standing. Thus, it's still considered a "succesful" tackle by the game. not a question... lol

3. Has anyone else noticed the sweet bug that lets you pull a tackled player of your own up again just by doing a one-timer pass to him? ga

4. Can the goalie ever get credited for a goal? Or get a penalty? Get injured? yes, no, no

5. What's the "weight bug"? light weight guys can hit like machines while heavily guys suck at hitting and are easily hittable.

6. What's the difference between the Genesis and Sega CD versions? Sega CD never reached Sweden, I don't think. duno, i think its same mostly, crisper graphics, and much better sound quality i hear.

7. And, finally, I've collected a number of cool Gens videos over the years, is there any way I can convert them and upload them to YouTube or this forum? indeed, see smoz

Welcome! Also, for Europeans to usually have a good connection with the North Americans is to get set up with p2p/hamachi - my AIM is kupuckNHL94 if you ever want to play a few exibition games and test online play out.

Hello everyone!

No, you can't hurt a guy after the whistle.

We call it a 'check' ;). Tackles are for football! (both american and soccer).

But as for your question.. I am not sure!

If the guy doesn't fall to the ice, i'm pretty sure the game doesn't record a body check in the stats, so I would say 'yes' to this question (you can knock him off balance and steal the puck twice), but I'm not entirely sure.

If you first check him to the ground and then try to him him again, though, I'm pretty sure you can't even knock him off balance.

I have never actually been able to complete a one-timer this way, though. He will get up early, but I have never ever actually had him shoot the puck unless he got up on his own. Have you ever seen him shoot the puck?

4. Goalies can get credit for a goal in the "Scoring Summary," but due to the way the game stores the statistics, if he scores a goal and you go into "Player Stats", it will count it as an extra goal against him, and I think an extra shot against him.

It's because it uses the same data structure for players and goalies. For skaters, the structure has Goals, Assists, Shots, PIM (and also Checks and Time-On-Ice, but it doesn't show it!). For the goalie, the structure is Goals Against, Assists, Shots Against, PIM (always 0), checks (always 0), and Time On Ice.

When the goalie scores, the game gives him +1 "Goals Against" because it treats it like he is a player so it thinks it's giving him +1 Goals. It also does the same for Shots Against / Shots.

The weight bug let light players (fleury, roenick) check heavy players (lemieux, lindros), instead of the other way around. That's why Chicago and Detroit are unstoppable and Pittsburgh sucks (if you play against someone else who likes to check).

You can read the technical details about the bug here, where I figured out how to fix the bug: http://forum.nhl94.c...eight-bug-gens/

And there is a program there that will fix the bug in your ROMs.

6. I don't know, I don't remember trying the CD version.

7. See here for how to make a video for youtube: http://forum.nhl94.c...me-movies-avi/. Skip straight to step 4, since you are already in GMV format I think..

4. Goalies can get credit for a goal in the "Scoring Summary," but due to the way the game stores the statistics, if he scores a goal and you go into "Player Stats", it will count it as an extra goal against him, and I think an extra shot against him.

I didn't know that! I might have to change my "favorite way score" field now.

There have been 3 goals scored by goalies in the Blitz 94 league.

Fuhr

Terreri (sparked a 3-goal comeback in the final 2:30 of the game)

Essensa

& 1 in the 2011 league - Carse's Tampa Bay goalie, whoever he is.

The "Mega CD" version was basically the same game. I think the ice may have been a different colour & graphics were generally sharper, but I never really noticed to be honest.

Main differences were that the lines were changed so there were no "duplicate" players like the NY Rangers goalie who's also at the Panthers in the original cart, and also the CD quality sound. As a kid I thought that, and the grainy intro movie made the CD version the definitive & had it hooked up my stereo & everything, but having played it again recently it's just a lot of soundbites that don't really sound natural like the sounds on the cart version do.

They sound like they've been cued up and triggered by an event, rather than sounding like they're a reaction to an event, and most of them sound like they were recorded from a group of 10 screaming kids at an indoor swimming pool. To be honest the sound on the CD version actually removes you from the game & kills the atmosphere.

The CD memory kept failing and losing my saved playoffs & lines too! lol.

I should have left that one in the past as a good memory. I've kind of spoilt it for myself by playing it again.

Hit me up on AIM if you want any practice games: gretzkyonacold

• 4 years later...

Thanks for all the replies. Sorry it took me a while to log on back here.

I've been collecting these Gens videos over the years, and they've mostly been sitting on my computer. I don't have the technical know-how, the energy or the wits to convert them into proper video, so I figured I might as well dump them here, in the hope that someone else might convert them for me, heh. Most of them are from 2009, and I have forgotten all about what they show. Hopefully something cool.

NHL '94 video clips.zip

Edited by Svante

....Goalies can get credit for a goal in the "Scoring Summary," but due to the way the game stores the statistics, if he scores a goal and you go into "Player Stats", it will count it as an extra goal against him, and I think an extra shot against him....

I'm pretty sure no shot is tallied.

If you check the links to the Blitz goalie goals a few posts back, and note the Shots Against (SA) stat for the scoring goalie and compare it to the total number of shots the other team's players took, you can see he has an extra shot against. It uses the same routine for crediting a goal to a player (+1 goal, +1 shot) as for a goalie (+1 goal (interpreted as against) +1 shot (interpreted as against)). Neither team is credited with a shot, though. Weird.

Obscure factoid: goalies can be injured, but I've only seen it when they get hit by the other goalie. The Roamin' Goalies rom hack enables this.

So is there actually goalie injury animations in the game - or how did you know he was injured?

Yes, it happens just like any other injury. One goalie hits the other and he goes down and it says "(Goalie Name) Injured for Period/Game".

Now I want a 0v0 rom with roaming goalies.. puck drops and both goalies race from their creases to get it and try to score.

:grimace:

• 5 years later...

So, I managed to recover the original Gens Plus setup I had for recording those *.gir and *.giz clips, and watched them. Fun stuff, and a few crazy bugs, like one where the players turned white in the penalty box side-view, and one where a player skates outside the ice, over the audience, and then back onto the ice again, but nothing that I don't think hasn't been documented here yet. Just thought I'd update you all on that.