NHL'94 Forums

What makes retro video games so popular to this day?

I've really begun starting to shy away from buying the new NHL (not to mention every other sports game..) every year. The retro ones still have the same replay-ability, while i find the newer games ending up on the dollar rack at my local games shop the next year. Does anyone else agree with me?

I'd also like to mention that there are a lot more moves to take advantage of in the new games, making a clear line of skill drawn in between players. I've never had this problem with chel '94, it's usually fun and even games.

I definitely agree with you on the older games having more replayability. I mean I love the last three NHL games up through NHL '11, but '94 will always be my favorite.

Games are generally even I guess. But you should play online if you haven't. Plenty of players with differing skill levels to play against, including some more challenging guys ;)

Welcome to the site bud. I'd answer your question but we had one member (EZE) that answered it best.

http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/4258-why-94/page__p__24764#entry24764

If you love playing retro games, xot runs a site SNESOT.com. It has various super nintendo games set up for tournaments. Super Mario Kart, NBA jam, super tennis, micro machines, rock n roll racing, street figher, super mario battle, tetris and dr. mario(and of course nhl94) to name a few.

don't think they are that popular...what makes you think so?

for us yes they are, but most people I know don't touch retro stuff at all and all play ps3 or 360.

but gameplay is #1 reason we like these games, also simplicity in less buttons.

• 2 weeks later...

The new games have to many features.. It is too hard to skate. I think playing a game where you can pass,skate,shoot,check is cool. The older games have more of an arcade feel to them.. The news ones try to get too realistic - too many buttons. Maybe I am just getting old - but that is what I think. Simple is fun..

I'm not afraid of ''too many buttons''. In fact I think it's great. Requires great mastery of the game.

What I don't like is trying to make a ''simulation'' and end up having games where 50% of the shots are goals (Yes that's you NHL 11)