NHL'94 Forums

Best player on 94?

Curious to know who people think is the best overall player in the game, and by best overall I mean who you would take to build your team around. Me, I would take Roenick, he is sick in this game. Probably Yzerman after Roenick, and then Mogilny... but Mogilny is a bit of a softie!

I would also take Jeremy Roenick first. He's so dominant and can score from almost everywhere in the offensive zone.

Hardest to take down: Marty McSorley

Best Shot: Al Iafrate

Quickest Player: Mogiliny

Best Stickhandling: Theo Fleury

Best Bodychecker: Bourque

Best Goalie: Potvin

Best overall defenseman: Rob Blake

Best centre: Roenick

Best winger: Fedorov

(This is for SNES)

Interesting... I'm going to fill in my choices as well...

Hardest to take down:  Marty McSorley

Gretzky.  He is a maniac in the offensive zone and doesn't go down when he runs into the goalie!

Best Shot: Al Iafrate

I'd still take Bourque or Roenick.... I think some games Ray has 99-99 power-accuracy. 

Quickest Player: Mogiliny

agreed 110%

Best Stickhandling: Theo Fleury

Lemieux.  I'd take Lemieux over anyone on a breakaway in this game.

Best Bodychecker: Bourque

Him or Dougie Gilmour... probably Ray though.

Best Goalie: Potvin

EASILY Patrick Roy.  although I do agree that potvin is better than barasso and belfour, but fuhr is number 2 in my opinion.

Best overall defenseman: Rob Blake

Ray Bourque by a landslide. 

Best centre: Roenick

Agreed.

Best winger: Fedorov

Mogilny all the way.

I play on Genesis however.

(This is for SNES)

ok gents read them and weep- best goalie-belfour best rightwing-recchi best leftwing gary roberts best d-tom pederson-sanjo-use him and see for yourself- thats right- pound for pound and for decision-making-he's the best i know its crazy.And the best categories are not complete without best team player-steve yzerman-he passes shoots, checks and always makes the big playhis secret weapon is intercepting passes, but starting at center is roenick- because he is a god in this game- pure power-shot accuracy- and hardest checking center ever-yes even better at checking than gilmour! honorable mention-mogilny sandstrom and lemieux housley and roy There- oh and top substitute-pelle eklund

ok gents read them and weep- best goalie-belfour best rightwing-recchi  best leftwing gary roberts  best d-tom pederson-sanjo-use him and see for yourself- thats right- pound for pound and for decision-making-he's the best i know its crazy.And the best categories are not complete without best team player-steve yzerman-he passes shoots, checks and always makes the big playhis secret weapon is intercepting passes, but starting at center is roenick- because he is a god in this game- pure power-shot accuracy- and hardest checking center ever-yes even better at checking than gilmour!                                                                    honorable mention-mogilny sandstrom and lemieux housley and roy    There- oh and top substitute-pelle eklund

:D:D:lol::lol::lol: eklund...

Best player offense: Roenick hands down ......u need to set up your game plan around shutting roenick down

Hournable mention: Denis Savard, Bob Bassen, Pele Eklund

Best Defense: Phil Housley

Hournable mention: Petr Svoboda, Pat Brisbois, Don Sweeney (better thn Bourque)

Best Goalie: Roy

HM: Noboby they all suck ass after that

Biggest Punk: Wopap for avoiding playing me cause he is sacred of getting his ass handed to him

Hournable Mention: His Cousin for being related to him

Best player offense: Roenick hands down ......u need to set up your game plan around shutting roenick down

Biggest Punk: Wopap for avoiding playing me cause he is sacred of getting his ass handed to him

Hournable Mention: His Cousin for being  related to him

haha you make me laugh... we will whoop you back to the stone age my friend.

sweeney better than bourque... yikes!

housley is awesome, at least you know something!

haha you make me laugh... we will whoop you back to the stone age my friend. 

sweeney better than bourque... yikes!

housley is awesome, at least you know something!

In the past 12 years of playing this game, I have played probably thousands of games against my buddy who almost always used the Bruins. There is no one player on that team I feared more when I carried the puck into the offensive zone than Don Sweeney. The man cannot do anything on offense, but I believe that he is the best checking defenseman on the game.

In the past 12 years of playing this game, I have played probably thousands of games against my buddy who almost always used the Bruins.  There is no one player on that team I feared more when I carried the puck into the offensive zone than Don Sweeney.  The man cannot do anything on offense, but I believe that he is the best checking defenseman on the game.

yeah sweeney is pretty good from a defensive standpoint, but honestly, who would you rather have on your team, him or bourque???

I am kinda in shock that you've played thousands of games against someone who has consistently used boston... i just can't get into the groove with them, neely is useless to me, oates is decent, and their goaltending is atrocious. Them and pittsburgh are the most overrated teams imo.

Hournable Mention: His Cousin for being  related to him

yo shoot me over your number again, we'll def hook up sometime... you play on genesis or what console?

just toss me your email I probably should't post my phone number on this issh again and i send u my # ......my cousin is interested as well.........as far as logistics go i dont even have a genesis i play on the CPU so we'd have to have hook up at your facilities if u wanted to play on genesis (how ur joysticks fuctional or disfunctional??)

What format would u like it to be ??? i play 1 line, 5 minutes, no penalties or offside they arcade format......I hope u dont use 3 lines cause thats not an option

yeah sweeney is pretty good from a defensive standpoint, but honestly, who would you rather have on your team, him or bourque???

I am kinda in shock that you've played thousands of games against someone who has consistently used boston... i just can't get into the groove with them, neely is useless to me, oates is decent, and their goaltending is atrocious.  Them and pittsburgh are the most overrated teams imo.

With Bourque vs. Sweeney, its clear that you want Bourque. He's good on D and great on O. Sweeny is only great on D and horrible on O. As for my buddy who always used Boston, he hated Juneau and the goalies with an passion. I have never seen anyone change goalies as quickly and as often as he does. :P But, he always made it work with the lackluster forwards. He always played well with Oates and he'd substitute Dimitri Kvartalnov for either Juneau or Nealy (whoever sucked more in that particular game).

As for me, I've probably used the Flyers for almost every one of those games against him. The only starter on the Flyers that start for me is Mark Recchi (at RW). I use Pelle Eklund or Keith Acton at Center, Recchi and either Acton or Kevin Dineen on the wings. Starting Defense for me is Greg Hawgood and Gord Hynes (most underrated checker on the game). Staring Goalie is either Beauregard or Rousell. The Flyers default lineup is horrible. I only used Lindros when I wanted to taunt someone since he falls down any time he gets hit.

With Bourque vs. Sweeney, its clear that you want Bourque.  He's good on D and great on O.  Sweeny is only great on D and horrible on O.  As for my buddy who always used Boston, he hated Juneau and the goalies with an passion.  I have never seen anyone change goalies as quickly and as often as he does.  :P  But, he always made it work with the lackluster forwards.  He always played well with Oates and he'd substitute Dimitri Kvartalnov for either Juneau or Nealy (whoever sucked more in that particular game).

As for me, I've probably used the Flyers for almost every one of those games against him.  The only starter on the Flyers that start for me is Mark Recchi (at RW).  I use Pelle Eklund or Keith Acton at Center, Recchi and either Acton or Kevin Dineen on the wings.  Starting Defense for me is Greg Hawgood and Gord Hynes (most underrated checker on the game).  Staring Goalie is either Beauregard or Rousell.  The Flyers default lineup is horrible.  I only used Lindros when I wanted to taunt someone since he falls down any time he gets hit.

dineen is one of those players that NO one knows is a 99 speed... you can put him in there and people are like who the heck is that guy flying down the wing?

dineen is one of those players that NO one knows is a 99 speed... you can put him in there and people are like who the heck is that guy flying down the wing?

You got that right! The only problem with Dineen is that he has no shot power and falls down very easily. But, he's also a great stickhandler so he's great on breakaways.

You got that right!  The only problem with Dineen is that he has no shot power and falls down very easily.  But, he's also a great stickhandler so he's great on breakaways.

there's a guy on buffalo that's like that, unknown fast guy, randy wood, really fast skater but unfortunately has NO agility. I mean you gotta start deking with him at the blueline! Then again, with mogilny, how many other fast players do you really need??

With Bourque vs. Sweeney, its clear that you want Bourque.  He's good on D and great on O.  Sweeny is only great on D and horrible on O.  As for my buddy who always used Boston, he hated Juneau and the goalies with an passion.  I have never seen anyone change goalies as quickly and as often as he does.  :P  But, he always made it work with the lackluster forwards.  He always played well with Oates and he'd substitute Dimitri Kvartalnov for either Juneau or Nealy (whoever sucked more in that particular game).

As for me, I've probably used the Flyers for almost every one of those games against him.  The only starter on the Flyers that start for me is Mark Recchi (at RW).  I use Pelle Eklund or Keith Acton at Center, Recchi and either Acton or Kevin Dineen on the wings.  Starting Defense for me is Greg Hawgood and Gord Hynes (most underrated checker on the game).  Staring Goalie is either Beauregard or Rousell.  The Flyers default lineup is horrible.  I only used Lindros when I wanted to taunt someone since he falls down any time he gets hit.

wow I tried using Eklund, and I was impressed! not too fast, but quick with great stickhandling. A hidden gem, as was gord hynes. although I must admit its hard putting lindros on the bench when he's an 83 overall.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok people, best player by far is mogilny, by far. He is unstoppable anywhere in the offensive zone.

best

RW: Mogilny

C: Roenick

LW: robitille for rating, but i prefer courtnal from van

D: Borque

D: Housley

G: defenatly ROY!

This is for the sega genesis version

If lemieux weren't so easy to knock down hed be #1 but he is slow and easy to hit

Sweeney is the best hitter I ahve found, even though Borque is rated higher in checking. also a Jem is Smelick on Buff, 67chk.

left wing is a big weakness in this game. Anderchuck/ sacik are too easily knocked down,

Sanderson and gagner and damphousse are good, joe murphy is ok, there really isnt a stand out left winger in the game, keving stevens and fedorov are ok

Biggest sleeper in the game is dennis Savard on the RW. his agility and stick handling are great. When I use him I frustrate the hell out of wopap, too bad there is no other player besides Roy that is a star on Montreal, they lack speed.

I would probably say Patrick Roy. The best skater, for my style is Ray Bourque. I do a lot of mid-range pull up slapshots & bourque just doesn't miss those & to boot he's a hell of a defender.

I would probably say Patrick Roy.  The best skater, for my style is Ray Bourque.  I do a lot of mid-range pull up slapshots & bourque just doesn't miss those & to boot he's a hell of a defender.

ray is awesome, but i hate trying to dominate with a defenseman... I'd rather do it with a forward...

ray is awesome, but i hate trying to dominate with a defenseman... I'd rather do it with a forward...

Roy is the worst player in manual control because of his speed. The lower goalies are easier to control (under 50 overall). I think that Gilmour is probably the 2nd best overall player, because he can knock anyone down and score. I still stand by Mogilny being the best, his speed aloows him to knock players down, and he can score from anywhere. Roenick finishes third for best overall player.

Even though Borque is a 99 overall he is still not the best player, maybe not the best defender. As far as playability I still think i prefer Housley and Suter.

Roy is the worst player in manual control because of his speed.  The lower goalies are easier to control (under 50 overall).  I think that Gilmour is probably the 2nd best overall player, because he can knock anyone down and score. I still stand by Mogilny being the best, his speed aloows him to knock players down, and he can score from anywhere.  Roenick finishes third for best overall player. 

Even though Borque is a 99 overall he is still not the best player, maybe not the best defender.  As far as playability I still think i prefer Housley and Suter.

mogilny is awesome.

but you know the saying.

offense sells tickets.

defense wins championships.

mogilny is awesome. 

but you know the saying.

offense sells tickets.

defense wins championships.

defense isn't as important in video games if you cant score, in fact defensive teams need to score to win, wothout goals they'd only tie and not be champions. So although I agree with good defenses help win, a good offense, like the buffalo sabers can give you a goal at any time. that is what can make champions. And every player in 94 that we felt got knocked down to easy, by hex editing them, we increase their ability to score. We all recognize that Lemiuex was the greatest player in hockey during the 1994 campaign after fighting cancer. In the game he is rated high but not effective. If we improve him on the hex program we are improving him to be more offensive, which is what wins games. No one uses pitts because they are slow and can't score. so i thik scoring is the key even before defense.

defense isn't as important in video games if you cant score, in fact defensive teams need to score to win, wothout goals they'd only tie and not be champions.  So although I agree with good defenses help win, a good offense, like the buffalo sabers can give you a goal at any time. that is what can make champions. And every player in 94 that we felt got knocked down to easy, by hex editing them, we increase their ability to score.  We all recognize that Lemiuex was the greatest player in hockey during the 1994 campaign after fighting cancer.  In the game he is rated high but not effective.  If we improve him on the hex program we are improving him to be more offensive, which is what wins games.  No one uses pitts because they are slow and can't score.  so i thik scoring is the key even before defense.

modern history doesn't lie. defense wins championships. statistically defensive teams have won more cups than offensive teams.

no one uses pittsburgh because they are slow and they get knocked down too easily and they are useless defensively. Boston is also slow, but they have an awesome defense. same with toronto.

we improve players to make it more exciting. You should also be going through the lady bying voting results and seeing who were the best defensive forwards - not just focusing on who had the most points that year.

Scoring wins chapionships, if you can't score you cannot win. Defense suppliments scoring to provide more goals for then against. Of course teams that can't defend lose, but teams that can't score lose just as often. Good goaltending and good offense/ checking wins in 94, or speed which creates better hitters because of momentum. But Boston as good as their defense is, has a terrible goalie, and no offense beacuse Neely gets too easily knocked down. Now Toronto can score because of Gilmour, so they are a good team, but they also have a good goalie. Therefore, good team ='s good quick scoring forward, + good goaltender. Speed and checking are also important.

Offense is most important, because if Gilmour couldn't score or pass/stickhanlde Toronto would suck! they would never score.

modern history doesn't lie.  defense wins championships.  statistically defensive teams have won more cups than offensive teams. 

no one uses pittsburgh because they are slow and they get knocked down too easily and they are useless defensively.  Boston is also slow, but they have an awesome defense.  same with toronto.

we improve players to make it more exciting.  You should also be going through the lady bying voting results and seeing who were the best defensive forwards - not just focusing on who had the most points that year.

• 2 weeks later...

Tops SNES players:

Mario Lemieux

Raymond Bourque

Mark Messier

Eric Lindros

McSorley

Steve Yzerman

Secret good players

Vladimir Ruzicka (Boston)

Pell Eklend(Flyers)

Nelson Emerson(St Louis)

Player like Bure, Mogilny, Lafointaine are good but fragil, to easy to injury!!

La-la-la-la-la-LaFontaine!! Anyone have that audio clip of Rick Jennerette (sp?)---the announcer for the Sabres--yelling that after one of his goals?

Oh...best player? I'm sure the debate can rage for a long time, but he combo of LaFontaine and Mogilny is pretty damn good...

Unless, of course, you've gotten used to winning with the Whalers---Sean Burke is the man! Oh how I wish the Whale was still around!!