NHL'94 Forums

REFERENCES: Aspect Ratio when modding ROMs for Megadrive

perkabrod

Wrote some stuff today:

http://djoman.dyndns.org/rom-edit/aspect_ratio/index.html

At the bottom of that page you'll find a link to pixel sizes and stuff, to make your images look good on your TV when you play the ROM on a Megadrive console

Use 30 team rom by wboy and have a look in the Tile Molester reference thread here at the forum for info about the offsets.

I have a xml with bookmarks coming for Tile Molester, just confused about the Team rink logos which says to have their palettes affected when you alter the rosters.. don't know if I should bookmark them or not.

Edited by perkabrod

• 2 weeks later...

I modded my megadrive yesterday to allow 60hz (Genesis) mode.

All the graphics I had done using the guide above will have to be redone :( But I feel I'd rather make the graphics suit the US Genesis than the European Megadrive consoles...

So, I will measure and update the guide with Genesis notes. Here's the mod:

mod.jpg

And here's a video showing the difference:

http://djoman.dyndns.org/rom-edit/50hz60hz/nhl94_50hz_vs_60hz.mov

The music doesn't change because the game senses if it's 50 or 60 hz (megadrive or genesis). Some games like Aladdin didn't do this so when I test my PAL Aladdin on 60hz the music is 20% faster...

No matter what happens with the audio, the game speed for all PAL consoles (megadrive) will always be slower than intended. I tried with NTSC Aladdin at 60hz and the music sounds okay, game speed is 20% faster than the PAL version (at 50hz). The PAL Aladdin at 60hz however runs at the same game speed, but music will be too fast if you run PAL cartridge at 60hz.

Luckily the NHL 94 used the same version for both PAL and NTSC and just made some code to sense if it was hooked into a Genesis or Megadrive, making adjustment to the music.

Another thing that happens is that all games played on Megadrive (Megadrive is PAL, Genesis is NTSC) gets borders around the game, also, it stretches the game in vertically, that's why everything looks wrong on Megadrive.

Finally I can enjoy all games at proper speed and full screen.

New guide to NTSC, Genesis will be posted here soon. Just need to take my "research ROM" and measure aspects for the graphics on my TV.