NHL'94 Forums

"Pass becomes shot" bug 30 team ROM

I've been playing a few mods that I guess all are based on the 30 team rom by wboy and we've noticed that sometimes when you pass, the puck goes hard as hell, as if it is a shot.

Haven't noticed that in the original nhl 94 game, is it in the original game too?

Does it happen more often in the 30 team ROM? Why does it happen?

ROMs I've played is the NHL2010.bin and NHL2011.bin, both with the huge NHL 94 logo for the second splash screen. Also, both those ROMs shared the same title screen that says NHL 2010 and a website link to this site.. hope you know which ROM I'm talking about...

:::::::::::::::

Next, I wanna mention the organ.

I don't know what tune it is, but in one of the tunes there's some low notes that sounds out of key, don't remember that happening in the original nhl 94...

Any thoughts?

Edited by perkabrod

Players with higher passing skills will pass harder, so if the ROMs have lots of guys up at 5 (81+) passing, that might account for it.

as for the organ sounds, no idea. you're playing on an actual genesis with some writable ROM device? try putting original 94 on it and seeing if the sound is the same.

as for the organ sounds, no idea. you're playing on an actual genesis with some writable ROM device? try putting original 94 on it and seeing if the sound is the same.

Will try. Obviously the hardware on the megadrive is a whole different story than playing in emulators.

The referee whistle sometimes changes pitch and stuff depending on sounds intercepting each other right when the whistle blows... but as for the music I can't recall it being actually out of tune on any of the songs, in the original game.

It's like the organist had a few beers :D

Finished an enclosure for a scanline generator today, so now I have scanlines on my LCD TV when playing all game consoles that supports RGB Scart :)

http://images.instagram.com/media/2011/07/27/fb584bcf81be4f61b999f5394c38a5e0_7.jpg

and the enclosure:

http://distillery.s3.amazonaws.com/media/2011/07/07/d4c161e058174117afc44a1dffa0f58a_7.jpg

it goes, scart sync board (scart input and vga output), scaler board (the big in the middle, vga carrying scart-signal IN and normal/analog VGA 640x480 out) and then the scanline generator which has on/off and a potentiometer for adjusting opacity of the lines... it has vga in and vga out.. then just hook vga to the tv and voilĂ  :D

though this photo might be more appropriate in this forum :D

http://images.instagram.com/media/2011/07/27/9bfbdbd14f8e446aa802c5e7bb883de3_7.jpg

Edited by perkabrod

why are you adding lines?

why are you adding lines?

old fat TV's (CRT) had scanlines which you could see pretty clearly when playing nes, snes, genesis, megadrive, gamecube, n64, ps1 etc..

that's how I remember it to look. So when I connected the megadrive to the LCD TV for the first time I thought it looked like s**t, I'm happy now that I got the lines back... vintage correct :)

Edited by perkabrod

vintage wrong. looks much better without them. if the house you used to live in had power surges and occasionally fried your electronics, forcing you to buy new stuff every few months, would you go retro for that and build a surge box just to ruin your gear?

vintage wrong. looks much better without them.

still vintage correct, it did look like that back in 94 on CRT TV's, if it looks better or not with scanlines has nothing to do with the fact that there was scanlines back in '94

this option is just a click away in most emulators, some like it some don't. I like it. This guy likes it too:

watch from 9:22

complete explanation by the same dude:

if the house you used to live in had power surges and occasionally fried your electronics, forcing you to buy new stuff every few months, would you go retro for that and build a surge box just to ruin your gear?

nope, but I go retro for the things that I think beats the new technology...

using the same argument you used, you could ask yourself why you play nhl 94 when there's nhl 11? :)

Edited by perkabrod

yeah, i was going to say, there's a scanline generator in the emulators, so obviously some people prefer it.. these old games tend to look better on CRT tvs, since that's what the graphics were designed for.

scanline.. generator?.. is that something you put together yourself??

nope, it was Jochen that came up with it

www.arcadeforge.de

But it isn't housed in an enclosure so you buy the 3 boards you need (scart sync, scaler/line doubler and scanline generator) hook them up to each other... and make a little case for it if you don't want the soldered boards just lying on the floor

EDIT: The scanline generator is a passive unit, no power needed for it to work. So for everything that uses VGA, you can just put the scanline generator on the VGA cord and when you turn it on every other line will be black (if you have opacity at 100%, there's a knob to adjust opacity). However if you run resolutions higher than 640x480 the lines will be extremely thin so no point really.. but for people building arcade machines and stuff it's great. or to couple together with the other 2 boards to convert rgb scart to vga 640x480 then add scanlines then hook up to a new TV

Edited by perkabrod