NHL'94 Forums

would possesion-indicating stars be able to negate regular player stars?

there is a star under the player that fills in with blue when the player gets the puck. could the fill-in icon actually overlay the regular icon, making it a different color or, better yet, clear? I guess both sets of sprites would become transparent by the top one simply being transparent. I was thinking of trying to have a speckled shadow (a few dots of color below the player's skates) that shows users which skater they have until he gets the puck, at which point it is gone, or something like that. does this seem reasonably possible to you? does it seem useful/appealing? if/when I test this, I'll reply below. if you beat me to it or have something to add/ask/answer/etc., please respond.

if you find out a way to have the outlined star dissapear when the player has the puck.. please write a how-to here :)

I've fiddle a little bit a few weeks ago with the indicator just to see how it is built up...

NHL94-player-indicator.jpg

At least the "player has the puck"-graphics goes on top of the "player does not have the puck outlined star". Have you tried having an empty sprite for when the player has the puck, all cyan colored that is... if yes, did that replace the outlined star "controlled player does not have the puck" icon? Or is the outline star still visible? Don't know how the programmed the transparency, if it is layer by layer...

Interesting thread. Let us know if you find something :)

word. you're questions are mine, too, as I haven't tried it, yet. conceptually, I'd be erasing them all and using a few dots in your pink tiles, giving the player with the puck a speckled shadow of color. the hope is that there would be a transparent copy that, when added by possession, negates all, but I find that likely to be unlikely, if you dig. can't see myself trying it this week, so if you find it interesting enough to do in the meantime, do it up. the systems/games are different enough that we should both try it, anyway.

the hope is that there would be a transparent copy that, when added by possession, negates all, but I find that likely to be unlikely, if you dig.

I dig. I thought the same thing when writing about how they programmed the layers... seems unlikely that an all transparent image would make the underlying outline star disappear...however, worth a check.

I'll post my results, will have a look, just need to finish 2 more logos for my elitserien mod first.

edit: well, i just realized that it won't work that way because in the original graphics there's transparency (cyan) around the "player have puck" graphics, and it still shows the outline star "below"... haha, too tired for this. Well, you could make your dots the same colors as the ice but it would look funky when you cross the rink lines and such :)

Edited by perkabrod

I think I'll use something like this for my ROM, I don't have anything against the star really.. but it's colors are ugly... New ice color in this one too:

NHL94-player-indicator2.jpg

Ice color reference:

my_nhl94_ice.jpg

edit: wrong image... damn I need to start preview my posts :)

By the way, what is the PALETTE offset for the player indication? Haven't found them. I'm using 30 team ROM by wboy.

Edited by perkabrod

well, which comes out on top and do any of the colors alter other layers when overlapping, I guess, is the real question.

damn, you are good with colors. I have no idea how to chose new palettes of colors for stuff. I wish you were SNESing so I could steal from you.

an image you showed here makes me suspect you are using a goal crease that is wider to one side than the other. I feel like I've seen that before, too.

that one. three pixels on the right and four on the left. maybe it's just the image being distorted, but it looks wrong.

that one. three pixels on the right and four on the left. maybe it's just the image being distorted, but it looks wrong.

Good eye, seems off. Will have a look. It's not my crease, I think it's the one from the 30 bin ROM, don't remember if I've edited though

Edited by perkabrod