NHL'94 Forums

Change overtime length + make it continuous?

Stefan

Wondering how to change the overtime length, and can it be continuous (Still sudden death, but if the period ends, go into another period)?

Also, how do you change the period length options.

I'd like 5/7/10

Thx.

it'll be possible to change the period lengths (data hack -- someone just needs to tell you where the values are, but i don't know where they are), but continuous periods is a code hack and no one's done it.

search for "2C01," "5802" and "B004" near each other. those are the period lengths. change the values to change them on the clock. search the hex data for "inutes" to find the part to change in English so it shows your new time(s) on the menu screen, too.

Ok, searched them what values do I change to?

And what do you mean search "the hex data"

How do I do that?

Do I search a text string or hex string?

We must use different hex editors.

Mine is XVI32

I searched "inutes" in both, couldn't find anything.

Don't use XVI32. I used that for years, and it is terrible (although it has a few decent advanced features, but is missing some super useful basic stuff). It doesn't even have an Undo button.. wtf.

Now I use HxD. It has an Undo button (although the undo doesn't work after you save, which is a bit annoying.. but is better than no Undo at all!), file comparison...

Those values he listed are hex values. They represent the length of the period, in seconds, in hex values.

2C 01 -> 01 2C -> 300 seconds -> 5 minutes

58 02 -> 02 58 -> 600 seconds -> 10 minutes

B0 04 -> 04 B0 -> 1200 seconds -> 20 minutes

7 minutes is.. 420 seconds. then open up the calculator in windows, change it to 'scientific' mode (or 'programmer' if it has that), and enter 420, then select "Hex" and it becomes 1A4.. -> 01A4 -> A401.

put A401 in the ROM in place of 5802.

the default OT length is 10 minutes, so search for 5802, and then experiment changing that value and seeing if it changes the OT time. (tip: play a game until 10 seconds left in the 3rd period, then save the game. edit the ROM. load the save, let the period expire, then see the OT time in the game)

it should just be the 04 B0 that is next to the other two period length mentioned above... 01 2C and 02 58. just that one. oh, do you mean for the overtime?... then it'd be 01 2C, right? I have trouble knowing what you mean fairly often -- like does "10 04 b0" mean ten times that 04 B0 value or the value of 10 04 B0, you know? anyway, I'd go with the one nearest the other three (just after?) and if it doesn't work, change it back to what it was and try another one. if there are just ten, it shouldn't take too long to find it. maybe you could report back the exact location, if/when you find it.

the nearest one to the others and then if it doesn't work, change it back and try them in order, like I typed above.

Only two of the 01 2C are together.

None of the other hex values are near those.

So I edited one, assuming one would be the period length (5 minutes) and the other would be the overtime.

Neither got adjusted.

BAH!

Anyone actually do the edit before? Know where the exact location is??

I don't know what NHL 94 you play dude, but in mine (the cartridge version) it's 5 minute overtimes.

We're playing regular season games, maybe that has something to do with it?

We play 10 minute periods, the overtimes are always 5 minutes.

Edited by Stefan

Oh, Genesis version, I think it's 10 minute OTs for some reason. Never made much sense.

Anyway, all I can think of is maybe you got the 2c01 / 012c order backwards (the SNES reverses the bytes). other than that, i'm afraid I don't know.

remind me to investigate this for you sometime when you catch me on the chat here with free time. this shouldn't be hard to find, at all. I have done it before, but not in a while. did you search for other threads that address this?

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I have mine backward, now. kind of stupid. still looking for the way to have 5 in the scrimmages and longer in the playoffs.

• 2 months later...

then you might as well detail that here for other to see and know. I also have 20-minute OT periods, but only for the single games. my playoffs still have fives. I want to figure out how to reverse that. if you can help, please do.

• 1 year later...

Was trying to change period length yesterday (to 7,5 minutes = 3 real time minutes) and it is pretty easy but before I figured it out I was struggling with it for almost ten minutes :-/ So here is the short tutorial how to find the location where the values are located, I hope some complete newbie will appreciate it.

In HexEd search for B004 (not 04B0 like I did) in Hex-values, press OK. Press F3 many times (around 30) until the dialog menu with Can't find B004 appears. Press Enter/OK, then hold SHIFT and press F3 two times. There are 2C 01 58 02 B0 04 values next to each other and you can follow smozoma's instructions which helped me a lot, thanks smozoma!

Edited by DominikJagr

• 7 years later...

I didn't see this answer posted for SNES so here's what I just did to get a 99 min 59 second OT period, I went to Byte 1033890 and changed 2C01 (300 seconds) -> 6F17 (5999 seconds).

Edited by dangler
  • Thanks 2
  • Like 1