NHL'94 Forums

RIP Rick Rypien

halifax

crazy... anyone know if this was a suicide? obviously he was having some kind of personal problems (and denied they had anything to do with drugs). maybe some kind of physical illness? but he was playing in the minors still, so that doesn't really makes sense...

EDIT:

Wikipedia lists it as an 'apparent suicide' at the moment, with links to 5 sources..

Halifax bud, are you on twitter?

The wikipedia information has been changed to

A family member found Rypien dead in his Crowsnest Pass, Alberta home August 15, 2011. No further information has been released to the public at this time.[22]

None of the sources that were listed before mention that it was a suicide, but one links to the BC suicide hotline

when rypien first got a chance to play with canucks the guy was great,he was a hard hitter and fought anyone and he had pretty nice hands .Then a bit before the fan incident all he did was fight and get dumb penalties and then he was sent down after the fan episode and it was all down hill from then on,another sad story .Rest in peace bud. :(

beyond sad. please respond with updates, if you get any.

I guess he is the inagural member of the sports 27 club. Prayers go out to his family , RIP.

Yeah whats up with successful people dying at 27? janis joplin,jim hendrix ,rypien,and the drug addict singer who passed away recently, i know he doesnt belong in that group but lotsa famous people die at 27

I guess he is the inagural member of the sports 27 club. Prayers go out to his family , RIP.

Yeah whats up with successful people dying at 27? janis joplin,jim hendrix ,rypien, jim morrison,kurt cobain and amy winehouse, i know he doesnt belong in that group but lotsa famous people die at 27,guess its just a chance thing ..everyone dies at sometime.

Edited by hokkeefan

spammeefan, you are awful at everything. only 27, eh? terrible. I suspect steroids. will Boo and Ryp be the instigators for a look into drug use in this sport?

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Bling+thing+Rick+Rypien+former+junior+hockey+colleagues/5262132/story.html#ixzz1VF1rGWsR

It's no secret Rypien had battled personal demons over his professional career. Twice in the past three years he took leaves from the Vancouver Canucks, his most recent departure from the club limiting him to just nine games last season. Still, it came as a surprise to many within the Pats organization when it was revealed on Tuesday that Rypien had fought depression for the past 10 years, dating back to his time in Regina.

The time frame coincides with an incident that has left then-general manager and current team president Brent Parker questioning himself. Rypien's girlfriend died in a car accident coming to see him play during his second year [with the Pats].

"You could tell he was hurting after that but he was just very stoic — he just kept so much to himself," said Parker. "I don't want to say he was guarded, but he was very private, almost shy. But he seemed to deal with it as well as anyone could. You know it was certainly something I thoug ht of when I heard the news [Monday] and knowing what he went through the last while.

"You start wondering was that a trigger point? Was there something we should have done more at that time or did we miss something? Did we miss some signs? You just question all aspects of it."

• 2 weeks later...

RIP Rick Rypien

Hal Gill vs Rick Rypien Oct 7, 2009

Brad May Vs Rick Rypien 11/12/09

Edited by JeffBC