NHL'94 Forums

Online Etiquette Guide

kingraph

I think the crease cut goal is fair game. I wouldn't use it to build a lead, but if I'm down by 2 and want to get within one I'll do a crease cut. Votaw plays extremely well against the move, sometimes pouncing on you, following you, or crushing you with a body check.

• 7 months later...

This is the first time I have ever seen this guide.

One thing I wonder about is the penalty shot thing. I have never thought about having to do penalty shots the real way they occur? This seems absurd to me. A glitch is one thing -- I would definitely dump the puck if my opponent had goalie lock happening. But if I am taking a penalty shot and he poke checks me? Scoring after that is even sweeter!

(I always thought I was a good sport, but here is one instance where my natural instinct goes against proper etiquette of the community. But having a 2nd attempt at scoring after a poke check, or even swooping around in a circle before shooting -- technically not allowed in the NHL -- just doesn't feel "dirty" to me? It's not a glitch and it's a lot of fun! Maybe I am a jerk after all. :) )

This is the first time I have ever seen this guide.

One thing I wonder about is the penalty shot thing. I have never thought about having to do penalty shots the real way they occur? This seems absurd to me. A glitch is one thing -- I would definitely dump the puck if my opponent had goalie lock happening. But if I am taking a penalty shot and he poke checks me? Scoring after that is even sweeter!

(I always thought I was a good sport, but here is one instance where my natural instinct goes against proper etiquette of the community. But having a 2nd attempt at scoring after a poke check, or even swooping around in a circle before shooting -- technically not allowed in the NHL -- just doesn't feel "dirty" to me? It's not a glitch and it's a lot of fun! Maybe I am a jerk after all. :) )

I've never tried a 2nd attempt after a a non whistle loose puck on a penalty shot, but I agree with you here. I'd never get mad at somebody for trying it, it's perfectly fair. People who get mad at 2nd attempt penalty shots should take off their bow ties.

I am weird though, like I definitely believe in sportsmanship and fairness, but to me goalie lock is an understood glitch that is perfectly avoidable. You shouldn't have to dump it out after your opponent gets goalie locked. You get like a community guilt trip if you don't dump it, but screw that noise. As Zalex once said, don't go ape with your goalie and you won't get goalie locked.

Isn't goalie lock only a 2on2 glitch? It's like insanely rare in the 5on5 game I thought.

In 2on2 tournament play its officially game on, because goalie lock is avoidable. In exhis where the game is tight I'll usually flip it over for a faceoff.

Isn't goalie lock only a 2on2 glitch? It's like insanely rare in the 5on5 game I thought.

In 2on2 tournament play its officially game on, because goalie lock is avoidable. In exhis where the game is tight I'll usually flip it over for a faceoff.

It's fairly common for me in 5v5.

I think when goalie lock occurs in 2v2 it's an advantage of sorts for the goalie locked team. People just need to know in that to the one player controls all 3 players including goalie.

• 2 months later...

I never skipped Hot & Cold streaks until AFTER I got on this site, and found SMOZ posts showing how that is actually inaccurate and that being "hot" means you might not be hot at all, and being "cold" might actually be cold either.

So, in the end, I ended up getting so mad about having wasted all those years looking at it and thinking this guy was hot, etc, and now realize they miss coded the whole f'n thing.

As a guy who bought the game when it came out on my Sega, I'm not sure when NOT skipping this meaningless intro became "bad etiquette". I do TRY to not do it when I play FPB, but still seem to do it to him every other game.

I never skipped Hot & Cold streaks until AFTER I got on this site, and found SMOZ posts showing how that is actually inaccurate and that being "hot" means you might not be hot at all, and being "cold" might actually be cold either.

So, in the end, I ended up getting so mad about having wasted all those years looking at it and thinking this guy was hot, etc, and now realize they miss coded the whole f'n thing.

As a guy who bought the game when it came out on my Sega, I'm not sure when NOT skipping this meaningless intro became "bad etiquette". I do TRY to not do it when I play FPB, but still seem to do it to him every other game.

It still shows the overall accurately on the screen so I can guess if they're hot or cold from that. IIf you're not a line editor it saves me the time from checking ur s**t out in Team Rosters

Also + It's ritual/juujuu/Voodoo

Edited by The Russian Rocket

• 1 month later...

Pausing: In league games, try to make sure you have 15 minutes available so you don’t have to pause in the middle of gameplay. However, life happens, and if you do have to pause, try to do so when you are in control of the puck, in a “neutral” position, or during a break in the action. Explain to your opponent the situation.

Pausing when your opponent is in control of the puck or during action is EXTREMELY RUDE.

Regarding pausing, the recommendation above is "Pausing when your opponent is in control of the puck or during action is EXTREMELY RUDE".

I take this to mean, that ANY pause during league games should be avoided, even if you have the puck in your own zone, right? I know if my opponent pauses for any reason, even when they have the puck, it is distracting and wrecks the flow. Pausing is only for emergencies, right?

I personally only pause if there is something urgent (like my daughter wakes up crying, or an alarm is going off or something). And if I do, I always make sure I have the puck at least, and dump it to the other guy when play is unpaused.

For non-emergencies, like if my opponent just killed off a penalty, and wants to rejig their lineup, pausing -- even if they have the puck in their own zone -- is poor etiquette, right?

None of the line-up rejigging happens until the next face-off, meaning that there would be time once the whistle is blown to make your changes. Not sure why anyone would pause mid-period to rejig a lineup?

I've noticed a lot of guys rushing to start the next period, which is fine 90% of the time, but if you had an injury or penalty in the previous period you need some time to put your best line-up back together to start the next period.

Etiquette in that situation would obviously bee to check and see if your opponent in ready - but if you do skip the "intermission" and your opponent pauses the game to fix his lines - I'll usually put the puck over the boards to get another face-off.

Here's what I've found as you get more into experienced play.

It's shorter to pause the game & edit your lines from the time between end of the period & when the Game Menu pops up to start the next period, and most guys know if they need to make a sub for the next period to do that during that small window.

The reason it's less time is there are MORE menu options after the end of periods than there are if you pause it and only you can control the menu so there is no confusion. The extra 2 seconds it takes to scroll down though those extra menu options plus the occasional guy moving the menu up or down on you causing the additional wrong menu selection chaos is MORE THAN ENOUGH to disrupt the TRUE BUTTON MASHING experience.

This is why most vets just pound the C button through periods to start the next period, because if you were going to do any changes, you would have made them before it got to this "dual menu mode".

Every now & then a guy realizes he forgot to make a sub, and then most teams do the A puck dump over the boards to get the lineup change in.

BUT PAUSING GAME WHILE I HAVE THE PUCK!?!?!? I've only had that done on me a few times, and it's 1000% BS.

(and f-n Raph used to spaz pause while you were scoring to stop the team sirens, but he's since stopped after making me miss a goal once :) )

Here's what I've found as you get more into experienced play.

It's shorter to pause the game & edit your lines from the time between end of the period & when the Game Menu pops up to start the next period, and most guys know if they need to make a sub for the next period to do that during that small window.

The reason it's less time is there are MORE menu options after the end of periods than there are if you pause it and only you can control the menu so there is no confusion. The extra 2 seconds it takes to scroll down though those extra menu options plus the occasional guy moving the menu up or down on you causing the additional wrong menu selection chaos is MORE THAN ENOUGH to disrupt the TRUE BUTTON MASHING experience.

This is why most vets just pound the C button through periods to start the next period, because if you were going to do any changes, you would have made them before it got to this "dual menu mode".

Every now & then a guy realizes he forgot to make a sub, and then most teams do the A puck dump over the boards to get the lineup change in.

BUT PAUSING GAME WHILE I HAVE THE PUCK!?!?!? I've only had that done on me a few times, and it's 1000% BS.

(and f-n Raph used to spaz pause while you were scoring to stop the team sirens, but he's since stopped after making me miss a goal once :) )

Haha, it wasn't to stop the goal siren, just my own bad habit!

But agree with what Brutus said. The only legit times I've had people pause in-game was to pull their goalie, and that's when they had clear possession of the puck, making a rush up the ice. Maybe a few times something happens (kids wake up, doorbell, phonecall), but it's rare and understandable if/when that happens. And like Aqua said, if that happens to me, I usually just dump it to my opponent as a sign of good faith.

The community is small, any active player who exis will pretty much know what they are up against, reputation, etc.

I reserve the right to pause mid-game when my cat is making that HHRRKK! HRRKK!! noise indicative of an impending wet hairball on the carpet.

Who cares if (healthy) kids wake up, they won't die or wreck anything in the next minute before a whistle :P. Maybe they'd wake someone else up? I could understand then.

I reserve the right to pause mid-game when my cat is making that HHRRKK! HRRKK!! noise indicative of an impending wet hairball on the carpet.

Who cares if (healthy) kids wake up, they won't die or wreck anything in the next minute before a whistle :P. Maybe they'd wake someone else up? I could understand then.

Trust me, if your wife wakes up because your kid is crying/talking before you get there, the "I was waiting for a whistle in my '94 game to get them" excuse could be the end of your '94 career.

• Like 1

Trust me, if your wife wakes up because your kid is crying/talking before you get there, the "I was waiting for a whistle in my '94 game to get them" excuse could be the end of your '94 career.

"Wife dear, I've made the kids' room entirely fireproof by lining it with this rock wool insulation! Oh and noise-proof to an absorption coefficient of 0.95 for all frequencies between 125Hz to 4000Hz, as a side-effect.. in case you were wondering...." ;D

The only legit times I've had people pause in-game was to pull their goalie, and that's when they had clear possession of the puck, making a rush up the ice.

Just a quick story, recently played a game (can't recall if it was a league game) and took a lead into the final minutes of the 3rd. Offensive zone face-off, and opponent pauses to pull the goalie, immediately the goalie skates hard out the crease and skates right through the face-off circle pushing players from both teams out of his way. Hilarious.

that's totally a tactic covered previously. ....how to search for that? maybe "wipe."

found a quickly hijacked thread about it, but the pictures are all gone: http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php/topic/13325-winning-faceoffs-with-the-goaltender/?p=106838

here's something I stumbled on in the search that relates to the main topic, but not that subtopic: http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php/topic/11285-online-etiquette/

Edited by tru

Looooool.

I think if i do that to my wife,it would be not only the end of my 94 career but also the end of my short life!!!

Yeah I've live by that code too.

Craziest interruption I had was when a stray dog raided our chicken coop.

Yeah, as proper & polite as Rapher is, I can only imagine the treatment his wife is accustomed to, I'm 1000% percent sure, she is NOT tolerating any back talk!!!

Raph, my older brother and you seem to be personality twins. So, I spent my younger years losing to him in '94, and now I spend my older years losing to you! Fitting I guess. But, great read between you & Smoz, had me laughing and imagining how all of us look sitting in our corners by the modem playing our "little game" :)

AND CHICKENS!?!?!?!?! That visual is SO FAR OUT IN LEFT FIELD, I was stunned. Read it three times to make sure I saw that right.

whip1.png

Hey now... you'll know the struggle one day, I promise.

Up your 94 game while you're single - because once you have to share everything (particularly the bandwidth), the struggle becomes very real.

NETFLIX - the bane of the online retro gamer.

Up your 94 game while you're single - because once you have to share everything (particularly the bandwidth), the struggle becomes very real.

NETFLIX - the bane of the online retro gamer.

Bandwith is killing me, used to be in a few tecmo leagues but I can't kick the whole family off to play.

And yes I do have chickens along with a menagerie of other critters, here are the geese my kids raised. They were cute followed them around like dogs, until they got taller than the kids and started to bite them. Now they live in the freezer.

post-679-0-37133500-1462387062_thumb.jpg