NHL'94 Forums

Online Etiquette Guide

kingraph

NHL’94 Etiquette Guide

From time to time different issues come up in regards to sportsmanship, or etiquette in playing NHL’94 online vs. other players. This following is an etiquette guide, which I hope we can all contribute to, in an attempt to minimize conflicts. I’m not an etiquette authority and I’d like to make this a wiki-type of guide. I’m not the first to try this idea – special thanks to the following members who started and contributed to this topic before.

Ticketnest: http://forum.nhl94.c...line-etiquette/ (Jan’10)

Scribe99: http://forum.nhl94.c...line-etiquette/ (Mar’08)

Backhandfloater: http://forum.nhl94.c...line-etiquette/ (Jan’07)

I have consolidated their ideas into this guide. Please feel free to comment on any of the items, or on things you want to add or revise.

PREGAME

Contacting Other Coaches:

If you ask the other guy to play, don't ask him how many games you have. Since you're asking to play, you are probably not as busy, so look it up yourself tongue.gif

If you ask the other guy to play, don't ask him to host first. Since you're asking to play, you are probably more ready to play than him, so you should be able to get your emulator up and running and hosting first.

Initial Set-Up:

Player 1 (home team) typically takes responsibility for adjusting the settings (time, penalties, players, etc.) Player 2 can also do this but Player 2 should hesitate just a moment before doing so to give Player 1 a chance to take charge.

The player who handles the settings should choose his team first and then move the cursor to his opponent's team.

If you want to use the default team (that is, the team your team selector starts on), just move off and back onto the team so that your opponent knows that you've made a decision and aren't just being lazy.

Matchups - Hot/Cold: Some players like to scroll through the hot/cold list and make lineup decisions based on that information, so be patient and don’t press start right away.

Note: It has been verified that the hot/cold ratings are completely random and not related to whether a player is actually hot/cold (thanks Smozoma)

Setting Lines: Player 1 (home team) usually sets his lines first, followed by Player 2.

Player 1 can then change his lines again, since he is the home team and has 'last change,' in case he wants to match a D to a winger or something.

If you prefer the default lineup, scroll to Start Game (but don’t hit start) to signal your opponent that you are ready.

If you started the game before your opponent could set his lines (and you'll know this because he'll pause at the opening faceoff and make the changes), the right thing is to force a quick faceoff (I like lobbing the puck over the boards with the A button). Neither player should try to score immediately, until the correct lines are in place.

GAMEPLAY

Pausing: In league games, try to make sure you have 15 minutes available so you don’t have to pause in the middle of gameplay. However, life happens, and if you do have to pause, try to do so when you are in control of the puck, in a “neutral” position, or during a break in the action. Explain to your opponent the situation.

Pausing when your opponent is in control of the puck or during action is EXTREMELY RUDE.

A pause, followed by a flicker up/down of the menu items signals "nice play". Used more frequently in exhibitions, it’s use should be limited in league play – and NEVER while the play is live as it is a disruption to your opponent.

A quick pause/unpause after a goal is usually a sign of frustration by your opponent. I can be used to stop the goal siren, and more commonly, used to stop the organ music (Buffalo Sabre Dance is the KING of annoying music). It also kills the crowd noise, but whether this actually has any effect on momentum is undetermined.

Replays: In general, avoid excessive replays. Everyone hits the post and everyone gets screwed by cheap goals on occasion.

Replays during league games should be extremely limited.

If you want to view a replay during the action, try and wait until a moment when you wouldn't disadvantage your opponent. That is, wait for a lull in the action where the puck isn't in danger and a scoring chance isn't imminent. Preferably, wait until you have the puck, though this is not always possible. IT IS EXTREMELY RUDE TO PAUSE THE GAME DURING AN OPPONENT'S RUSH OR WHEN HE HAS THE PUCK IN YOUR ZONE.

Calling Timeout: The original purpose of a timeout is to replenish your players’ energy during games with line changes. However, some players believe calling a timeout can change the flow of the game. Doing so is normal, but should only done after a goal is scored (see pausing)

IMing during games: It’s common to sign out/make yourself invisible on AIM during a league game to avoid messaging during a game that can cause lag and/or desynchs. Opponents can chat via the netplay window (P2P), server room, or hamachi chat. In general, avoid chatting in the middle of a league game. Some players have full-screens and an IM can be a major disruption.

Line Changes (in-game): At the end of a period, wait a moment before hitting start in case your opponent wants to change his lines or look at the stats. The most common reason to change lines between periods is due to a player injury that lasted a period. If you want to do these things, be quick about them.

Wait until a stoppage in play to edit your lines or pause the game - don't ruin the flow of the game (see pausing). Please wait until a whistle blows to change your line. You might not realize it but your opponent may be starting his "move" before he's even crossing the blue line.

A common practice is to quickly make your line change at the end of a period before intermission.

Checking/Celebrating After Whistle: Some coaches like to check players as much as possible after a whistle. This is perfectly acceptable, and can be a fun side-game if both coaches like checking.

In the case of a blowout, continuing to check after you score your 7+ goal can be considered taunting, particularly if your opponent doesn’t check back.

If you are whistled for a penalty, try and take control of that player after the whistle and skate him over to the penalty box to save time. If you are getting the power play, don't knock down the player who committed the penalty after the whistle if you can help it.

Penalty Shot

If the goalie knocks the puck off your stick and the ref doesn't whistle the play dead, don't go get it and try for another shot! You got pokechecked, you're done! While that flaw may be "part of the game" to some, good etiquette says to let the time run out.

Running up the score: In league play, running up the score is normal. Considering league records, and potential standings implications, a player has the right to score as many goals possible. While the person on the receiving end may not like it, they should just say “gg” and move on.

A veteran running up the score on a newbie is uncalled for. We want to make the game fun and enjoyable for everyone and people can be discouraged if they are getting blown out.

Pulling the Goalie:

Don't pull your goalie unnecessarily – Pulling the goalie in the 3rd period when you’re down by 1 or 2 goals is an acceptable action, but pulling the goalie earlier or when down 3+ goals ruins the fun factor for yourself and your opponent. Man up and put that goalie back in there or politely IM your opponent that you've had enough (does not apply in league games).

DON'T pull your goalie in your opponents zone! - If he's set his defense up & you have possession, pausing the game will generally cause him to lose control of his defenders on the restart, giving him no chance of defending your shot. Pull the goalie when you take possession in your own half, or between plays, before a faceoff (see pausing).

DON'T pull the goalie when you're winning big - Taunting your opponent by showing you don't even need a goalie on the ice really his the height of unsporting conduct. You don't have to ease up, but don't take the piss either!

Bugs (GENS):

• Goalie Lock: - This occurs when you skate too far with the goalie and make an errant pass (usually into the boards), and then you are unable switch to another player. You become “locked” as the goalie, and to make matters worse, you don’t even have manual goalie – the goalie is also controlled by the CPU. You have no ability to do anything until one of your players receives the puck. The consensus says that this is a part of the game, and you have to deal with it. Pausing, quitting, etc. is NOT acceptable. Be careful and don’t let it happen. When this happens to your opponent, you have the right to score. However, you also have the right to cause a whistle as a sign of sportsmanship.
  • Post Whistle Penalty Shot: At the end of the period (or game!), if a player goes on a breakaway (hear the breakaway “beep”) and the other player checks him down, a penalty shot may result! This is part of the game and you have the right to score. The lesson learned here is to NOT hit a breakaway player after the whistle, and avoid the situation altogether.
  • Goal after the whistle: At the end of a play that would result in an ensuing penalty shot, if you shoot the puck during the stoppage (before the penalty shot), the puck will go in the net and score. Good sportsman on your part to pull your goalie and give up the equalizer goal, however you would have had a penalty shot that you no longer have. I can only hope this never happens on a game-winning or OT goal! Hopefully both players agree to a redo, but at the end of the day if it happens, you may just have to deal with it as part of the game.
  • Crease-cut goal: Not so much a bug, but this is where a player skates with the puck from the corner across the crease and when they start to shoot (usually backhanded) the goalie lays down (“takes a nap”) and it results in an easy goal. For the most part everyone agrees that it’s a cheap way to score, but at the same time also understands that its part of the game. It’s a defendable shot, so the team on defense just needs to recognize and adjust accordingly.

POST GAME

Say “GG” (Good game) and wait a moment because some guys want to look at the scoring/penalty summary or the stats.

We are damn lucky to be playing this ancient game with some good people. Every game is a good game. Certainly beats playing the CPU. So even when your online opponent goose egg'd ya 0-12 say "Good Game." smile.gif

Very good KingRaph.

Can I add a couple? Hopefully people agree.

GOAL AFTER THE WHISTLE BUG

When the whistle blows & the play stops. We all like to take a shot at the goal if we have the puck. Very occasionally one of these shots actually goes in, and it counts as a goal.

If i'm the benefactor of one of these goals I immediately pull my goalie & let one in to even things up. Some say "It's a bug that's part of the game. It counts", but to me I just think "Why would I want to score like that?"

PULLING THE GOALIE

So it's the last 30 seconds & you're down by 1. U want to pull the goalie. Fair enough. DON'T DO IT IN YOUR OPPONENTS ZONE!!!! If he's set his defence up & you have possession, pausing the game will generally cause him to lose control of his defenders on the restart, giving him no chance of defending your shot. Pull the goalie when you take possession in your own half, or between plays, before a faceoff.

DON'T pull the goalie when you're winning big. Taunting your opponent by showing you don't even need a goalie on the ice really his the height of unsporting conduct. You don't have to ease up, but don't take the piss either!

GOAL AFTER THE WHISTLE BUG

When the whistle blows & the play stops. We all like to take a shot at the goal if we have the puck. Very occasionally one of these shots actually goes in, and it counts as a goal.

If i'm the benefactor of one of these goals I immediately pull my goalie & let one in to even things up. Some say "It's a bug that's part of the game. It counts", but to me I just think "Why would I want to score like that?"

Yeah, I believe this happens when you get a breakaway, your opponents get a penalty, which would cause an ensuing penalty shot. If you shoot the puck during the stoppage (before the penalty shot), the puck will go in the net and score.

I never had it happen to me in league play. Good sportsman on your part to give up the equalizer, however you would have had a penalty shot that you no longer have.

PULLING THE GOALIE

So it's the last 30 seconds & you're down by 1. U want to pull the goalie. Fair enough. DON'T DO IT IN YOUR OPPONENTS ZONE!!!! If he's set his defence up & you have possession, pausing the game will generally cause him to lose control of his defenders on the restart, giving him no chance of defending your shot. Pull the goalie when you take possession in your own half, or between plays, before a faceoff.

Will add this to the pulling goalie section. Goes along the general pausing guidelines.

DON'T pull the goalie when you're winning big. Taunting your opponent by showing you don't even need a goalie on the ice really his the height of unsporting conduct. You don't have to ease up, but don't take the piss either!

WOW, this has never happened to me and I can't imagine a more obnoxious move!

I agree with what's said here. If the other guy is using obviously stupid, cheap tactics to win (constantly flipping the puck, playing keepaway like a b***h clinging to a 1 goal lead late), they don't deserve a "good game", and I don't give it to them.

good stuff. i was thinking of making a post like this, but never did :). I'll sticky the post (.. wow there are a lot of stickies in this subforum).

a few comments...

Matchups - Hot/Cold: Some players like to scroll through the hot/cold list and make lineup decisions based on that information, so be patient and don't press start right away.

I have verified in the code that the Hot/Cold ratings are completely random and are not related to whether the player is actually hot or not. So, the real reason to watch the ron barr screen is to find out who your opponents' players are.

Setting Lines: Player 1 (home team) usually sets his lines first, followed by Player 2.

Player 1 can then change his lines again, since he is the home team and has 'last change,' in case he wants to match a D to a winger or something.

Line Changes (in-game): At the end of a period, wait a moment before hitting start in case your opponent wants to change his lines or look at the stats. The most common reason to change lines between periods is due to a player injury that lasted a period. If you want to do these things, be quick about them.

Especially if you are winning, wait a second so your opponent can change his lines.

But, if you need to change your lines, it's best to do it right after the whistle, before the intermission screen, so it doesn't matter if your opponent hits Start right away.

If you are whistled for a penalty, try and take control of that player after the whistle and skate him over to the penalty box to save time. If you are getting the power play, don't knock down the player who committed the penalty after the whistle if you can help it.

No way, this is prime post-whistle checking time! Extra points for putting a guy over the boards into the penalty box. Extra EXTRA points if you check the penalized player into the box, then he has to get up, get OUT of the box, and then get back INTO the box to serve his penalty.

Goalie Lock: - This occurs when you skate too far with the goalie and make an errant pass (usually into the boards), and then you are unable switch to another player. You become "locked" as the goalie, and to make matters worse, you don't even have manual goalie – the goalie is also controlled by the CPU. You have no ability to do anything until one of your players receives the puck. The consensus says that this is a part of the game, and you have to deal with it. Pausing, quitting, etc. is NOT acceptable. Be careful and don't let it happen. When this happens to your opponent, you have the right to score. However, you also have the right to cause a whistle as a sign of sportsmanship.

Half the time I end up wondering, "why would he take control of the goalie in this situation? scoooores! oh. probably goalie lock. whoops :(." In-person, we usually dump the puck so the guy gets rid of goalie lock, then dump it back so the guy gets another chance at a rush. Online, it'd be nice to flip it out for a whistle, but it's a pretty preventable issue, so be careful with your goalie passes!

• Crease-cut goal: Not so much a bug, but this is where a player skates with the puck from the corner across the crease and when they start to shoot (usually backhanded) the goalie lays down ("takes a nap") and it results in an easy goal. For the most part everyone agrees that it's a cheap way to score, but at the same time also understands that its part of the game. It's a defendable shot, so the team on defense just needs to recognize and adjust accordingly.

My take on the crease cut is to only take it if it presents itself naturally, like you suddenly find yourself with the puck, all alone beside the goalie. What I dislike is when guys go out of their way to manufacture the creasecut/walkacross every single rush, skating into the corner, then looping to the net. It's so boring.

I agree with what's said here. If the other guy is using obviously stupid, cheap tactics to win (constantly flipping the puck, playing keepaway like a b***h clinging to a 1 goal lead late), they don't deserve a "good game", and I don't give it to them.

I'm not sure there's anything wrong with flipping the puck... you can go get it with a player to get an icing call, or you can get it with the goalie and have another possession/rush.

If I'm up late in a close game, I won't rush full speed, I'll be more cautious, but my rule is that I must always be moving forward, no hiding behind my net (ultimate cheapness) or looping back into my zone, etc. Pretend there is a shot clock.

• Thanks 1

NHL’94 Etiquette Guide

[*]Crease-cut goal: Not so much a bug, but this is where a player skates with the puck from the corner across the crease and when they start to shoot (usually backhanded) the goalie lays down (“takes a nap”) and it results in an easy goal. For the most part everyone agrees that it’s a cheap way to score, but at the same time also understands that its part of the game. It’s a defendable shot, so the team on defense just needs to recognize and adjust accordingly.

What's wrong with the crease-cut goal?! It's totally defendable, totally preventable...............and is part of the game. What's the problem? If I don't get my defender in position to block the cut across I can still take control of my goalie so he doesn't lay down before the shot. I've no problem if I concede one. No problem if I score one. This one puzzles me?!! :blink:

What's wrong with the crease-cut goal?! It's totally defendable, totally preventable...............and is part of the game. What's the problem? If I don't get my defender in position to block the cut across I can still take control of my goalie so he doesn't lay down before the shot. I've no problem if I concede one. No problem if I score one. This one puzzles me?!! :blink:

There's nothing wrong with the goal itself, it's just recognized as the "cheesiest" way to score.

I usually give one of those, "awww, come ON" grunts when I get scored on that way. :)

I also give that grunt on five hole slappers/pass shots and goalie ram.

It should be noted that from time to time I score using crease-cut, five hole and ram tactics from...but I don't feel good about it! lol. :lol:

Edited by kingraph

NHL’94 Etiquette Guide

Running up the score: In league play, running up the score is normal. Considering league records, and potential standings implications, a player has the right to score as many goals possible. While the person on the receiving end may not like it, they should just say “gg” and move on.

Good stuff - but I'd like to add a little on this. Running up the score is fine, but try to mind who you are playing against. If you're playing against a recognized veteran (despite record) and you start to take the edge - keep going. If you know you are playing a coach who is 1-10 and new, it is probably better etiqutte to step back at around 5-6 goal lead. Rather than worrying about records/stats in games concerning new coaches, personally I'd rather try to create a game that is both competitive and positive for both coaches. It is hard to learn when someone keeps the sirens going.

Good stuff - but I'd like to add a little on this. Running up the score is fine, but try to mind who you are playing against. If you're playing against a recognized veteran (despite record) and you start to take the edge - keep going. If you know you are playing a coach who is 1-10 and new, it is probably better etiqutte to step back at around 5-6 goal lead. Rather than worrying about records/stats in games concerning new coaches, personally I'd rather try to create a game that is both competitive and positive for both coaches. It is hard to learn when someone keeps the sirens going.

I agree -- particularly playing new coaches in exhibitions. There's no point of dominating someone who just started playing. We want to INcrease our community, and the best way is to have fun, enjoyable games.

But I think it's important to note that in league play, coaches can run it up and it's part of the game (didn't Danlizhot just win 20-3?!?). Sure, it's more sportsmanlike to ease up in a lopsided game, but not necessary.

All rules off when playing someone you know. ;)

There's nothing wrong with the goal itself, it's just recognized as the "cheesiest" way to score.

I usually give one of those, "awww, come ON" grunts when I get scored on that way. :)

I also give that grunt on five hole slappers/pass shots and goalie ram.

It should be noted that from time to time I score using crease-cut, five hole and ram tactics from...but I don't feel good about it! lol. :lol:

My hate for the walkacross is so high that I once passed up a great walkacross opportunity in REAL hockey, and opted for an impossible backhand shot that ended up in the rafters. It was just instinct, it's that ingrained.

Seriously? Crease-Cutting is just impossible in A so much people slaughter with the B button,

It's a hatred born in the days before i knew about the B button.

Whenever I do the walk across, i just feel.. dirty..ashamed..

My hate for the walkacross is so high that I once passed up a great walkacross opportunity in REAL hockey, and opted for an impossible backhand shot that ended up in the rafters. It was just instinct, it's that ingrained.

:lol: '94 affecting real life!

You should add: Dont pause the game and go to game stats to show the one-timer stats, every f**king time your opponnent scores with a one-timer

It happens...

clue : pénis

Edited by Zalex

You should add: Dont pause the game and go to game stats to show the one-timer stats, every f**king time your opponnent scores with a one-timer

It happens...

clue : pénis

or faceoffs going against you

I'm guessing some people might disagree with this with the usual "but it's part of the game" excuse, but I abide by it:

Penalty Shot

If you come in on the goalie, and the goalie somehow knocks the puck off your stick and into the corner, but the ref doesn't whistle the play dead, don't go get it and try for another shot. You got pokechecked, you're done!

I'm guessing some people might disagree with this with the usual "but it's part of the game" excuse, but I abide by it:

Penalty Shot

If you come in on the goalie, and the goalie somehow knocks the puck off your stick and into the corner, but the ref doesn't whistle the play dead, don't go get it and try for another shot. You got pokechecked, you're done!

Oooh, that's a tough one. I never thought of that. What does everyone else think about this?

Right before this topic game up I played an exhibition where my opponent got a penalty shot (terrible call ref!), I dove with the goalie, knocking the puck away. No whistle. My opponent went back and to get it...and let the time run out! I believe it was the first time that happened to me. I wasn't sure if he was confused, but now I believe he was abiding by this rule.

I will also recognize the play as dead should this happen to me in the future.

Edited by kingraph

I was just thinking there is no section on desynch etiquette. While I've never had a problem agreeing on a resolution (i.e. play 2 more periods, assume tied 2-2, etc.), there can be some guidelines.

The players should first agree on the last known true score. Player 1 says 4-3, and Player 2 says 3-3, then the last known score is 3-3. If the last known score is agreed upon, the players can choose to play the remaining time, usually to the last closest minute, or whole period.

One item about a desynch is injuries. Let's say a key player is knocked out of the game or period (Roenick, Selanne, Bradley, etc.) and a desynch happens. Should the team with the knocked out player keep him out of the lineup on the restart? I WOULD THINK SO.

Anyone else have conflicts on desynch?

One item about a desynch is injuries. Let's say a key player is knocked out of the game or period (Roenick, Selanne, Bradley, etc.) and a desynch happens. Should the team with the knocked out player keep him out of the lineup on the restart? I WOULD THINK SO.

Anyone else have conflicts on desynch?

Depends. If my guy was injured & you're down to 4 players, you restart with 5 now, but i'm without my star for a whole period! Not really fair. I think with desynchs it's a case of "s**t happens". Sometimes it'll work for you sometimes it'll go against you.

ProBob & I did have a small issue with timing on the restart. We were tied upon a desync with about 40 seconds left. We just said "It's only 40 seconds, we'll just play 2 more periods".

I was 6-3 up, last minute of the 3rd. Probob scored a couple of late goals, pulled his goalie, the lot. 6-5 to me end of the game..............but of course because it was a 1 goal game we started thinking of those extra 40 seconds in the 1st period. We agreed that we'd agreed, but it's important to get that down before the restart.

To agree on score, take a snapshot of the score with "shift + backspace". That way if there's a conflict, the guy with the lowest scoring game has proof.

Couple small things that always bug me:

If you ask the other guy to play, don't ask him how many games you have. Since you're asking to play, you are probably not as busy, so look it up yourself :P

If you ask the other guy to play, don't ask him to host first. Since you're asking to play, you are probably more ready to play than him, so you should be able to get your emulator up and running and hosting first.

I've done the Walk Across only once in real hockey, and it was because I was just trying to get a quick wrist shot off.

nothing is more gratifying then the fake walk across and the backhanded floater short side. wait wait even better then that is the fake walk across fake backhanded floater into the forehanded walk across.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

nothing is more gratifying then the fake walk across and the backhanded floater short side. wait wait even better then that is the fake walk across fake backhanded floater into the forehanded walk across.

I absolutely love this quote. Ice summed up the proper goal scoring mentality perfectly, all the way back in 2011. This is seriously sig worthy