1. 1. Line Changes?

• On, with 10 Minute Periods
    • Off, with 5 Minute Periods
  2. 2. Which ROM?

• Classic 94
    • Weight Bug Fix
    • 2011 Playoff Edition

Alright everybody...

I'm thinking of starting an NHL 94 on Genesis tournament with NO PENALTIES. Aside from allowing the dirty play, we'd use regular league rules (5 minute periods, no line changes, manual goalie).

If enough people are interested, we can start thinking about scheduling, teams, and the playoff seeds. I was thinking we could do something like a World Cup format where there's a preliminary group round and then the top teams make a win-or-go-home playoff.

First thing's first, who else would be interested?

Edited by bradbershad

Yeah, not sure about 1 night. I just posted in here because I didn't see another folder to post in. Depending on how many teams enter, we can determine time frame. Maybe we can make this a Halloween themed tournament. Forget about scoring goals, I think the winning team should be determined by who causes more injuries! Just kidding about that last part.

Also not sure about line changes. I just wanna do PENALTIES OFF because the NHL 94 referee sucks.

Nice to see there's some interest. As far as line changes and weight bug fix, I'm going to let people vote. Please only vote if you're seriously interested in entering the tournament.

I'm thinking of naming this the "Halloween NHL 94 Blood Bath Tourney from Hell 2011" or something like that.

FYI, the Polls are at the top of the page.

Edited by bradbershad

Speaking from experience of the 2011 rom league, if you're doing line changes, it has to be a minimum of 7 minute periods so as to have the chance to use each line at least once a period.

Go with the weight bug fix - Line changes are pointless without it as it amounts to either - good light players on the ice, or crap heavy players on the ice. With no weight bug your big guys become useful & the tactical element & need for different lines becomes greater.

With the classic rom why bother if no penalties is the only difference from the classic league we're already playing? & agreed, the NHL94 ref is ridiculously inconsistent! lol

For a quick tourney, I prefer no line changes, but for a league it may be worth spending the time to get your lines all in order. Line changes take a bit of set-up time, both beforehand if you're not familiar with the team, and to set the game up. Agree too, 5 min periods too short for line changes. While I'm at it, if you DO DO ( ;) ) line changes, perhaps someone familiar with ROM editing can set up the ROM with the preferred lines that we can post/submit. That would save a lot of collective time.

Either way, more '94 = more fun.

Someone suggested that I wait until after the Classic Season was over to start the tournament.

So far, here's the unofficial list:

da94wookiee

kingraph

LA Robbie

eggink444

kpross

dcicon5148

Sicarius

HABS

PRoBob38

Edited by da94wookiee

• 4 weeks later...

Alright, y'all.

Halloween is upon us. The Classic regular season is over.

The Penalty Free Blood Bath Tournament from Hell is on. Goalies and fatties beware.

The official sign-up begins today. If you want in, send me a message or an email and I'll put your name on the list. Registration closes on Friday, 11/4. Once we have the participants set, I'll draw up a tournament. Seeding will be at my discretion. If we have an odd number of teams, the lower seeds will play each other for the right to compete.

I'm thinking the playoff format will be single game head-to-head matchups, with a double-elimination bracket, so it's like a "win or go home" with a "back from the dead" element.

Not sure about how to assign teams. What do you guys think of using All-Star teams?