NHL'94 Forums

NHL 94 on carts?! anyone interested?

NHL on Carts  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested in carts being made? If so, which...

• Gens
    • SNES
    • Not Interested

Normally the rom chips are directly soldered onto the cartridge board so its permanently there. I have a pic of a SNES cart with sockets on it... different but it is the same pricipal:

lorom1.jpg

Having a socket installed, the chip isnt soldered onto the board and can be pryed up with a small screwdriver and replaced with another rom fairly easily. It isnt meant but be swapped out on a contant basis as it grips the roms pretty well and over time will cause wear and tear on the eprom pins. But for yearly updates or mid season updates it works perfectly.

Another thing to note... the Sega Genesis cart is very compact and doesnt allow the space for a socket to be installed and to close properly. So, the housing would have to be cutout to allow it to shut properly.

Here's a pic for Demostration purposes with a socket installed:

gendevc2.jpg

I use a large rom so only 1 chip needs to be used. If you dont mind the cut case and having the rom exposed thats the only way to have it updateable.

I normally and also would recommend the rom chip be soldered directly onto the board as it allows a clean/orignal cart with no mods to the casing and gives a direct connection to the board without the worry of the chip not "fully" seated or connection issues.

Edited by DynamiteSJ

• 1 month later...

Is there a ROM that just has classic 94 rosters with the weight bug fixed?

I'd be interested in one of those for the genesis.

Also, what's the best Genesis ROM for up to date 2011 - 2012 season rosters?

Edited by wEEman33

Sweet, thanks da94wookiee for the feedback!

PM me if itchin to have one.. any nhl94 rom of your choice

I would be interested in either system actually. So does this mean i can actually play this game on my SNES/SEGA and actually play a season with the updated roster? (forgive me as you can see I'm a Noob)

I would be interested in either system actually. So does this mean i can actually play this game on my SNES/SEGA and actually play a season with the updated roster? (forgive me as you can see I'm a Noob)

Yes, it would play in your SNES or Genesis just like any other game.

well... a season no.. since nhl94 doesnt have season mode.. only playoffs.. but yea.. you can play these just like any other cart on real hardware with updated rosters!

• 2 weeks later...
post-4668-013108200 1327969325_thumb.jpgAnybody get a similar error after a penalty shot? Hard to read the upper left of my screen but I found this interesting. I missed the shot and then that error came up and froze the game. I'd imagine it's rom related but figured I'd ask around in case anyone had seen this. Edited by Mr. Retro Sports

post-4668-013108200 1327969325_thumb.jpgAnybody get a similar error after a penalty shot? Hard to read the upper left of my screen but I found this interesting. I missed the shot and then that error came up and froze the game. I'd imagine it's rom related but figured I'd ask around in case anyone had seen this.

The game tried to go to an address in the ROM that for some reason the sega didn't like. Could be an invalid address (although it doesn't stand out as obviously invalid to me..).

Anyway, yeah, it's a ROM issue. Some code or data got corrupted somewhere causing the game to try to access data in an invalid location in the ROM..

Not that I have any clue where in the ROM the error is!

I feel like I've seen that type of stuff on the Genesis.

I'm not positive, but yes. '94 does funky stuff on rare occasions.

• 2 weeks later...

sneslabel.png

I'm probably going to want one of these at some point soon.

Edited by trudatman

my guess is, probably not without the right tools. They probably have a custom memory job in there. If you're lucky, they just use a miniSD card or something like that. However they might be using actual ROM memory (Read-Only.. ie you can't modify it), since that's supposed to be cheaper (at least it was 20 years ago.. these days I wouldn't be surprised if everything is read/write just so it can be mass-produced cheaper than having 2 different types)...

Short answer.. I don't know!

• 1 month later...

DSJ, you still doing this? I'm bumping this thread and sending a PM.

Hey.. yes im still here and making them.. sorry for a late reply. Had family medical issues after easter dinner and so far everything seems to be more stable now.

Just as an update... Mr. Retro Sports issues are taken care of and all is well.

PM sent trudatman

what was the actual problem with his and what ended up being the solution to that problem?

he was one of my first purchasers/testers and I found out that the early revisions of the EA boards are not compatible with the NHL94 custom roms. The cart i used originally for his was Tony LaRussa Baseball and they use the "Rev K" boards in that game. From more extensive testing and creating more carts.. REV M and above is required for it to work.

So I resent him another cart with the proper revision and all is well. I thanked him for sending the original cart back so I could look into the issue and iron it out.

All that applies to the Gens version since it uses a save feature with its ram configurations on the carts. There hasnt been any issues with the SNES carts which i believe cause it has a more simplistic design having no save features.

With all the being said.. all issues and figured out and resolved. No matter which cart you go for, SNES or Gens, it'll work for you.

- D

Edited by DynamiteSJ

• 4 weeks later...

I really cannot state how AWESOME DynamiteSJ's cartridges are. I got one from him just yesterday and geeked out over trying to take Columbus to the Stanley Cup. (Hey, we DO have hockey dreams here in Ohio).

Anyway, the turnaround time was fast, the communication was continuous, and the final product took me back to feeling like a kid again. If you're nostalgic for playing NHL 12 on your original console vs. a PC emulator (and for me it's a no brainer to play it on the system itself), contact him and take him up on this. I couldn't believe how great it turned out. It has me wanting to modify an old NHL 94 Genesis cartridge protective case and do graphics for the inserts.

Amazing stuff, you won't be disappointed. I'm nearly in heaven today.

Edited by JustariusX