NHL'94 Forums

nhl realignment

halifax

Next season the Jets will be moving to the western conference. Here's a blog from Bobby Mac on some realignment scenarios.

http://tsn.ca/blogs/bob_mckenzie/?id=377916

They should just contract the Islanders. Nobody would notice anyways. Get rid of one more franchise (Florida?) and then the one scenario where the regular season is perfect then the playoffs are great too with 2 divisions works.

As a Rangers fan, I'd love to see the Islanders contracted. Of course, I'd also love to see Dolan sell the Rangers because he's one of the worst owners in sports.

The article was interesting, but when he started talking about Plan D, E, F, G I got a little tired of reading it. I think they should just re-allign geographically. That's one of the reasons why the NFL is great. The divisions actually make sense. Detroit in the Southeast? That's retarded.

Did you guys get hit in the head with a slap shot when you were kids? Contract the f**king New York Islanders? Dolan is George Steinbrenner compaired to Charles Wang! Get rid of the dirtbag teams in the south. Nashville, Carolina, Dallas, Florida Panthers, hell even those scumbag Bluejackets! I hope Mike Bossy isn't a member here or he will track you two down and knock your teeth out.

Long Live the New York Islanders

200px-Logo_New_York_Islanders_svg.png

Edited by T-Bird

That's one of the reasons why the NFL is great. The divisions actually make sense. Detroit in the Southeast? That's retarded.

The Dallas Cowboys in the NFC EAST makes sense to you? Miami in the AFC East? The NFL divisional make up makes the least sense to me.

The Dallas Cowboys in the NFC EAST makes sense to you? Miami in the AFC East? The NFL divisional make up makes the least sense to me.

Miami is pretty far East the last time I checked.

But you're right... Cowboys are not East. Baltimore is not North. Indianapolis is not South. But if you group the teams together, it does generally make sense in terms of proximity compared to the other divisions.

Edited by da94wookiee

Miami is pretty far East the last time I checked.

But you're right... Cowboys are not East. Baltimore is not North. Indianapolis is not South. But if you group the teams together, it does generally make sense in terms of proximity compared to the other divisions.

Right....Miami is east...but it plays divisional games against teams in the north east when there are plenty of teams much closer. Miami and Jacksonville in the same division makes more sense to me.

Did you guys get hit in the head with a slap shot when you were kids? Contract the f**king New York Islanders? Dolan is George Steinbrenner compaired to Charles Wang! Get rid of the dirtbag teams in the south. Nashville, Carolina, Dallas, Florida Panthers, hell even those scumbag Bluejackets! I hope Mike Bossy isn't a member here or he will track you two down and knock your teeth out.

If any team had to go it should be Nashville (to a city like Seattle or back into Canadaland perhaps??) - Dallas, Carolina and Florida have all made the finals or won the cup for their fan bases, granted they're still not the biggest fan bases but the teams themselves have still had some success.

Jeez, there seems to be a good amount of haters for any franchise that's in Nashville. Why the hate? :blink:

I say since the Predators are actually rather popular in there, they should stay there. I'm probably one of the few (in)sane people that believe that the Predators managed to get a good fanbase in there and thus trying to just cut them away from Nashville just because seems rather dickish. Maybe I could agree with a few teams in fringe locations, just don't ask me to do the same about Nashville.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah I watched that on saturday night and I wondered why they wouldnt move the flyers over to the same division as the penguins.....there will still be one division with 8 and the other with 7.

Yeah I watched that on saturday night and I wondered why they wouldnt move the flyers over to the same division as the penguins.....there will still be one division with 8 and the other with 7.

Someone showed that mathematically, if you're in the 7-team division, you have a significantly better chance of making the playoffs. Financially, it's kind of unfair (like being in the Patrick in 1990 with 6 teams when all the other divisions had just 5). And if you look at that east-coast division, a lot of those teams already don't have a lot of fans, and having a worse chance at the playoffs doesn't help them out.

Before anything takes place the fate of the Coyotes must be taken care of. Sounds like they going to Quebec. Only then will they figure out for sure the new realignment. Bettman wants 4 divisions. 2 of 8 and 2 of 7. That is what is going on. As far rumors im shocked no one mentioned the rumor of Red Wings coming to a eastern division. Hows that for a big shakeup in the East? BTW the Islanders aren't going anywhere!

Why people hatin' on Nashville? Good franchise, decent local fan base. Corporate support just hasn't been there since the NFL came in but that's not a bad market.

Coyotes aren't going anywhere yet, they just opened up a new food allergy suite in their stadium. So if you have a food allergy you can rent it out. True story

And actually Coyotes are probably in a better situation than the Blue Jackets are, the Blue Jackets are hurtin financially.

No idea on what will happen.

• 1 month later...

I saw a new proposal tonight on CBC hotstove and I like it....I hope they pass it.

There will no longer be divisions just 4 conferences.

Here's how the conferences break down

1. LA, VAN, ANA, SJ, EDM, CAL, PHO, COL

2. DET, COL, NASH, STL , WIN, MIN, DAL, CHI

3. pit, phi, nyr, nyi, nj, was, car

4.mon, bos, buf, ott, tor, tb, flo

You play a home and home against every other conference and the rest within your own conference.

The first two rounds of playoffs are in your own conference.

They then re-seed the conference winnersto play in the semis. So there could be chance that two westerns teams or two eastern teams could face each other in the finals.

I saw a new proposal tonight on CBC hotstove and I like it....I hope they pass it.

There will no longer be divisions just 4 conferences.

Here's how the conferences break down

1. LA, VAN, ANA, SJ, EDM, CAL, PHO, COL

2. DET, COL, NASH, STL , WIN, MIN, DAL, CHI

3. pit, phi, nyr, nyi, nj, was, car

4.mon, bos, buf, ott, tor, tb, flo

You play a home and home against every other conference and the rest within your own conference.

The first two rounds of playoffs are in your own conference.

They then re-seed the conference winnersto play in the semis. So there could be chance that two westerns teams or two eastern teams could face each other in the finals.

The problem with the "4 teams from each division" approach is that it can be highly unfair for 2 different reasons.

1. There is already a little bit of unfairness in the East/West arrangement (DAL and CGY had more pts than NYR last year but missed the playoffs), but now this will be even worse if we do it per-division, like back in the Smythe/etc days. The Leafs made the playoffs with 52 points in 1988 -- PIT and NYR had 81 and 82 points and didn't make it!! http://www.hockey-reference.com/leagues/NHL_1988.html

7 and 8 teams won't create cases that bad, but think of the Atlantic SouthEast division a few years ago where only Washington would make the playoffs and the other teams were ~80 point teams.

2. If you're in the 7-team division, you simply have a better probability of making the playoffs than if you were in an 8-team division. If I were an owner being put in an 8-team division, I would be pissed. (see the Rangers in 1988)

The problem with the "4 teams from each division" approach is that it can be highly unfair for 2 different reasons.

1. There is already a little bit of unfairness in the East/West arrangement (DAL and CGY had more pts than NYR last year but missed the playoffs), but now this will be even worse if we do it per-division, like back in the Smythe/etc days. The Leafs made the playoffs with 52 points in 1988 -- PIT and NYR had 81 and 82 points and didn't make it!! http://www.hockey-reference.com/leagues/NHL_1988.html

7 and 8 teams won't create cases that bad, but think of the Atlantic division a few years ago where only Washington would make the playoffs and the other teams were ~80 point teams.

2. If you're in the 7-team division, you simply have a better probability of making the playoffs than if you were in an 8-team division. If I were an owner being put in an 8-team division, I would be pissed. (see the Rangers in 1988)

One thing they didn't mention last night, and I wonder if they might do this, is having a cross over. So if the 5th place team in one "western conference" is better than the 4th place team in the other "western confernce" then they cross over(like the CFL does).

From a fan stand point, I love it. I loved the old days where you had to play out of your own division during the playoffs.

I think within the next few years, phoenix moves to quebec city or ontario. Then the league announces expansion for two more teams. ontario/quebec city gets a team and seattle gets a team. Then we have a perfect number of 32 teams and 8 conferences of 4.

kingraph, what do you think about all this bud?

I personally like the way the divisions are set up now, I know people are nostalgic for the divisional play but this isnt the old days, keep the 6 5-team divisions. Phoenix is not going to Quebec they would need to buld a new arena and Toronto and Buffalo will squash any team trying to move to Hamilton. I think in all honesty Seattle and Kansas City are the 2 most likely destinations for relocation. KC has the Sprint Center that's only 4 years old, and the NHL has been playing preseason games there in effort to drum up interest. Seattle may also need to build a new arena to really get consideration for a team but I think the NHL would rather move Phoenix to Seattle rather than Quebec. I really just want them to take the easy way and put Nashville in the Southeast, let Detroit keep whining about their "but you promised us we'd be in the east".

I think quebec could play in le colisee which holds 15,000 until they build the new arena(which is is in the works). KC has an arena, but moving there would be just like moving to another phoenix. I think the last thing the NHL needs is to move to another city to try and drum up interest. Go where there are guaranteed sell outs.

Toronto and Buffalo can't actually veto if a team moves to southern Ontario. The league decides where teams can go. But that team would likely pay a fee to one or both of those cities much like Anaheim did with LA.

4 conferences good to go.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=382065

Realignment. If it involves a change for the NHL I'm sure they'll goof things up somehow. How about we fix this stupid overtime crap before we add to the problems with realignment? The NHL's overtime is like little league baseball now. Everyone gets a trophy for making it to OT. How can anyone justify losing and getting a point? Let alone creating an entire different game (shootout) to decide who wins a hockey game.

When baseball games go into extra innings why don't they stop playing baseball and start a homerun competition. Or for football maybe if you reach OT they can stop playing the game and have a field goal kicking contest.

Shootouts suck. The whole thing sucks for picking a winner of a hockey game. Go back to ties or just play till someone scores. Go 4v4 the first OT. If you're still tied go 3 on 3. It won't take long and someone will score. At least play hockey.

For this new system you'll have to create new trophies. Say goodbye to the East and West champion trophies. Why not just leave the two conferences and take the top 8 teams for the playoffs? If you need to move Winnipeg to the West that's not a big deal. What happens if Phoenix or Florida wind up moving cities after this round of realignment? Do we have to break up the latest conferences and divisions again?

Two cheers to Bettman for being a super genius again.

I think quebec could play in le colisee which holds 15,000 until they build the new arena(which is is in the works). KC has an arena, but moving there would be just like moving to another phoenix. I think the last thing the NHL needs is to move to another city to try and drum up interest. Go where there are guaranteed sell outs.

Toronto and Buffalo can't actually veto if a team moves to southern Ontario. The league decides where teams can go. But that team would likely pay a fee to one or both of those cities much like Anaheim did with LA.

4 conferences good to go.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=382065

I would much rather give Seattle a team than a southern city like KC. Seattle is hungry and absolutely hates the NBA for what they did to the supersonics. There was a poll not long ago and majority preferred an nhl team to another nba team there, I think they'd support it well and would have a great natural rivalry with the canucks.

But a second nhl team in Toronto is what I would love to see, Markham likely going to build a 19,000 arena for concerts...its possible in 5-10 years an nhl team moves there.

THIS IS f**king GAY, ID RATHER HAVE WAGS BACK AND KEEP THE OLD SYSTEM

---

With the current system, the playoff race is exciting until the last day of the season.

Right now, with the new system, the Capitals would be almost sure to be in the playoff (IN DECEMBER) because the isles and canes are sucking big time.

And then in the playoff, the first 2 rounds you play within your conference(of 7-8 teams) Only 4 teams make the playoff in one confrence, they will ALWAYS PLAY THEMSELVES IN THE FIRST TWO ROUND. YEAR AFTER YEAR.

kingraph, what do you think about all this bud?

I'm too casual a fan these days to really respond to this properly, but hockey was my #1 sport growing up. My interest weaned in the late 90's, and apparently I wasn't alone.

I'd argue for contraction, not expansion. It's not going to happen, but the NHL doesn't need Columbus, Nashville, Phoenix, Florida, etc. Rivalries are what make sports great, and I like any division where the Rangers play the Islanders, Flyers, Devils (ok, give me the old Patrick division) more.

I like the 4-4 OT rule with 1 point guaranteed, but like Sicarius, I don't particularly like the shootout. I understand the NHL needs to generate more excitement, so fine.

At the end of the day, the NHL needs to market those rivalries. I haven't checked, but I'm betting the Bos/Van cup series was highly watched. We had an original six, we had US/Can, and what made it great was the little feud that developed. It was great. If this realignment gets local rivalries to matchup in the playoffs more (and it looks like it does), I'm all for that.

To me, the league accomplished what was needed. No major travel issues for any teams, no rivalries broken up, and they put TB and Florida with Canada, which will provide attendance/revenue boosts for both. And don't whine about travel, it's 1 more trip every 2 years. Very managable.

To me, the league accomplished what was needed. No major travel issues for any teams, no rivalries broken up, and they put TB and Florida with Canada, which will provide attendance/revenue boosts for both. And don't whine about travel, it's 1 more trip every 2 years. Very managable.

agreed

fla/tb was very strategic as there are a ton of geezer canadians down there, building is packed with habs and leafs fans when they go down.

Still detroit in the division woulda been awesome, tons of original 6 action!

• 4 weeks later...