NHL'94 Forums

Pausing in the middle of league games without notice?

Plabax

I was playing orangeblack in a league game, and with 14 secs left, he just pauses the game, calls timeout resumes and scores? He won 2-1, then next game I had the puck and he paused again but made a line change, he never told me why he paused or anything>

Ya that's not appropriate especially during league games.

Timeouts during play do nothing but disrupt the flow of the play. Definite advantage to the puck carrier if they call timeout, if the defending team calls timeout it could throw off the team with the puck.

Pausing to change your lineup during the play serves no purpose since the change doesn't take affect until after the next whistle. OB owes you an apology IMO.

Ya that's not appropriate especially during league games.

Timeouts during play do nothing but disrupt the flow of the play. Definite advantage to the puck carrier if they call timeout, if the defending team calls timeout it could throw off the team with the puck.

Pausing to change your lineup during the play serves no purpose since the change doesn't take affect until after the next whistle. OB owes you an apology IMO.

Totally agree with Ice here on this, well put.

One thing I'd like to add though is that if you HAVE to pause because of an important phone call, or someone at the door whatever (this stuff does happen on occasion). you must, in my opinion, pause when YOU have the puck. And when the game is resumed, the puck must be dumped down the ice and given to the opponent. No way should an advantage be gained.

Totally agree with Ice here on this, well put.

One thing I'd like to add though is that if you HAVE to pause because of an important phone call, or someone at the door whatever (this stuff does happen on occasion). you must, in my opinion, pause when YOU have the puck. And when the game is resumed, the puck must be dumped down the ice and given to the opponent. No way should an advantage be gained.

I think it's OK to pause if u have the puck, ur in ur own defensive zone & absolutely have to pause. Explain the reason for the pause & make sure the other guy's ready before the restart. Pausing when ur on the attack is a proper sly move completely designed to disrupt the opposition defence. Pausing during play to change lines is total piss-take IMO.

Would be interesting to get OB's take on this as there's not too much information about how it happened here. If it was gamesmanship OB hasn't covered himself in too much glory here, and definitely owes an apology.

Would be good to hear from him on this, or for Plabax to provide more info.

Okay I feel that since you have a timeout available in the game, you are allowed to use it whenever and wherever you please. If I am the only one that thinks this and everyone else thinks I am the one to blame then I apologize. I just feel like since you have it you should have the freedom to use it when you want.

I assume this occurred during gameplay and not a during a whistle. Completely unacceptable if it was during gameplay. As others mentioned...only time to pause is when you have the puck...and if its in the offensive zone...you should have to take it back out before you go back in the zone when resumed.

Okay I feel that since you have a timeout available in the game, you are allowed to use it whenever and wherever you please. If I am the only one that thinks this and everyone else thinks I am the one to blame then I apologize. I just feel like since you have it you should have the freedom to use it when you want.

No definitely not. Pausing during gameplay disrupts the other guys defense if you have it. Disrupts the attack if he has it. Pausing should only be done if you have the puck in your own defensive zone. Before the restart there should be an apology for the pause & the other player should be confirmed as ready before continuing.

If you get an attacking advantage as a result of the pause you should take the puck back to your defensive zone and start again, or, as someone else suggested, dump the puck to give possession to your opponent.

Okay I feel that since you have a timeout available in the game, you are allowed to use it whenever and wherever you please.

Are NHL coaches allowed to stop play whenever they want to use their timeout ? NO. They must wait for a whistle.

Ok then I do apologize like I said. I am pretty sure this is my first conduct offense in my three years here and hopefully it will be the last. I will take the blame and am sorry. Now that I have done this I would appreciate it if this thread was locked. I know that I have done wrong and I do not need anybody else to tell me so.

Ok then I do apologize like I said. I am pretty sure this is my first conduct offense in my three years here and hopefully it will be the last. I will take the blame and am sorry. Now that I have done this I would appreciate it if this thread was locked. I know that I have done wrong and I do not need anybody else to tell me so.

its ok man its not like your the first guy to ever pause during the game,you know? some coaches doesent feel the need to start a new topic each time stuff like this happen, otherwise there would be like 10 000 topics starring fpeebee and fokke :D