NHL'94 Forums

Hall of Fame 2011 inductees

smozoma

Gilmour a giant among small players

TORONTO -- While his teammates peeled off their sweat-soaked equipment and met with the media, Doug Gilmour was nowhere to be found.

It was the 1993 Stanley Cup playoffs and Gilmour, coming off a franchise-record, 127-point regular season, had led the Leafs to the semifinals, an epic series against Wayne Gretzky's Los Angeles Kings.

But on this particular night, after the final horn had sounded, where was Gilmour?

The answer was behind the doors of the trainers' room, where No. 93 was lying exhausted and fatigued, intravenous tubes running into his arms. Like so many nights in his illustrious career, Doug Gilmour had nothing left to give.

"It was amazing," recalled former teammate Mark Osborne. "I remember they used to list him at 165, 170 pounds. But after some contests, he had to be down to 150 pounds." Some estimated Gilmour would shed up to 12 pounds during the course of a game.

"He would leave everything on the ice," Osborne recalled. "I mean, he wasn't a big guy. But he gave it his all.

"I think that, during the 1992-93 and '93-'94 seasons, he was the best player in hockey. And that's when Mario Lemieux and Wayne Gretzky were still playing."

[.......]