NHL'94 Forums

Poll: Emulation vs. Console

Emulation vs. Console  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Emulation vs. Console. If you had to choose one, which would it be?

• Emulation
    • Console
  2. 2. Is there gameplay / control differences in emulation?

• Yes, there is something different about it.
    • No, I can't tell a difference.
  3. 3. What kind of Monitor or display do you use for emulation?

• CRT (old school tube)
    • LCD (flat panel)

Personally, I do not own a genesis. (RIP)

I personally do not see or feel a difference when playing an emulated version. But one thing i do notice is that emulation "feels" different on my laptop. Not due to software but due to the slow response time of my laptop's LCD. My desktop pc's display has a faster response time and it is a night and day difference from my laptop.

I wonder if some of the differences some people are seeing is due to monitor response. After all the old genesis version ran at a silky smooth 60 frames per second. Some LCDs or laptop displays simply can't keep up.

My answers:

1. Emulation wins by a landslide if i had to choose one. Netplay, online leagues, infinite game pad options, portability on a laptop, multiple save states, video recording and more make it an easy choice for me.

2. I can feel a difference on my laptop. With that said, it is safe to say that slower LCDs would experience the same issue.

3. My main display is a 19" lcd that has an 8ms response time. This thing rocks. Super fast with not ghosting issues. My secondary setup is a 32" LCD tv with a media center pc hooked up to it. Again this thing is fast and emulation feels perfect. I would use this for league and online play but its just a pain to type messages to people with my ass on the couch.

As for snes which I think has the best emulation, I'd chose emulation, so that I'm able to play hacked roms, save states etc. I think genesis feels fairly alright, but still not as superb as the snes emulators (both snes9x and zsnes are great).

As for NES, I'd have to say it has the worst emulations I've ever feelt. I can't get any feeling what so ever while playing NES with an emulator (rocknesx at least looks good). Hence I have ~100 cartridges for my real thing.

So there are absolutely two sides of every coin. The "real deal" is always better in the matter of feeling imo. But when you compare it with the other features and functions you get while playing on a computer, some stuff gets even better in front of the pc.

Emu

No

CRT

I think there's a difference between them & I think it mainly lies in the controller being used. I happen to be used to the console controller, so I prefer to play it on a console.

I think there's a difference between them & I think it mainly lies in the controller being used. I happen to be used to the console controller, so I prefer to play it on a console.

The only difference I can detect is in the controls: They seem tighter on a console. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with calibrating the controlls in an emulator or what.

Emulators are great: I can make vids from the save state replays, netplay, etc...But I enjoy playing on a console more if I have a friend over.. mabye it's cause I'm a sucker for old times, growing up playing with a gang of friends in front of the tube.

I've been thinking of buying a md-pro 64 plus from http://www.tototek.com/ so I can play the 2006, all-star nhl94 roms on my genesis. Has anyone bought one from them?

Yes I have the 32 MB one. It works great, but it can be sensitive. I had to use an older version of the software on a windows 2000 laptop for it to work for me. Once you get it working, it's def worth it.

-Evan

Just sold it all (My Sega). Got a good price for it though (100 Euro's is almost as much as 100 dollar)

It seems he bought it mainly for Sonic (bah!!!) and Flashback and Another World.

Now I have to fall back on Emu for sure.

I like the emulation only to the point where its a good way to try out games you don't own. Other then that, controllers in your PC or not, the console just feels better and is easier to just plug in the game and play.

I can feel the difference when playing the rom vs the cart. I have a good gamepad (Microsoft sidewinder) but it still can't compare to using the Genesis amazing 8 detailed directional d-pad. I play the game more now on my pc, simply because I spend more time on it. I don't have A/V cables for my Genesis, and there's so much static on the screen using the RF. I always tried tapping the system a little, slightly readjusting it, and it sometimes would work but now the system is so old even some slight taps make the games freeze.

Different video modes, saving screen shots or videos, that's all pretty cool. The netplay sounds fun but I haven't tried it out yet, I've used it on other games and there usually isn't a problem. WIth the emulator though, you're recreating the experience. When you play the Genesis version, be it alone or especially 2 player, it's "the way it was meant to be".